Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, my dh asked me where I saw that crank apple peeler I was talking about a couple of months ago...gee, I wonder what he's getting me for Christmas!

I think this is cute, actually, and don't worry, I'll act surprised on Christmas morning!

Anybody else know what they're getting for Christmas?

Lori

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Sweet...did he asked all sort of innocent when he asked you, like it just was a passing thought??? Better make sure you have some apples on hand to try it out, or to show him how to use it!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile
I didn't think I'd really use it, but if you have more than an apple or two to peel, it's great. I'm amazed at how many I see in the thrift shops, where mine came from, of course.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah! My mom bought me one several years ago as a birthday gift and then promptly forgot where she put it up for safety (i guess I come by it naturally :))....it's still in her basement somewhere!!!
So, lemme know how you like yours and maybe i'll go over and dig it up!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  3:33:41 PM  Show Profile
I never know what I'm getting ahead of time. Well, I take that back. DH can't stand the suspense and starts bugging me days before Christmas to start opening things. By Christmas morning, I'm lucky to have even one package left to open. But, I'm always surprised even if I do open them early. DH ususally gets his clues from our DD.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  07:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
My girls do the same thing! Drives me nuts! They said "Suppose Santa does get you a new camera, would you want him to bring it Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?" (my old one seems to have lost the will to live so we haven't been taking any pics) They also give alot of hints. Like "Mom, your slippers are getting raggedy. You should put that on your list" oh ok, lol

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  6:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I try to be slick, but really there's no way to hide it when you have to ask something like, "So, honey, what size did you say you wear in those military surplus gloves that you keep saying you need to replace?" I'm trusting to his ADD and hoping he forgets about that conversation before christmas morning. He sure forgets the things I tell him I want!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Okay so I am not the only one who knows what they are getting. My husband ordered my gift online, and that would of been fine, but the conformation came by email, and guess who got it. ME. Darn it. Then when the package arrived, he flew out to the ups man, and quickly had one of the boys wrap it all up. ( at the time we were plowing snow ) Gee I have not had the heart to tell him, I know what is up. So I will keep acting surprised. Oh, I am getting a new kitchen aide mixer. My 20 year old one just died the other day. Darn plastic gear went again.

Boy it has been nice to tell someone. Just don't let my husband know. :)

Surprised in Wisconsin
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  10:42:10 PM  Show Profile
lol michele that is so sweet and i would so do the same thing.
my dh made a comment that was a little insulting but very vage. so i hunted down said gift and found a very ugly pair of slippers. married ten years and he still cant find a pair of slippers that arent hideous. so i took them back and bought a different pair and when i showed him, he said i saw those and almost got them. the funny thing is he went for the ones that where ten times worse. has to be a taste thing. oh yeah and when i asked if he thought the original slippers were cute he said NO. now that was funny.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  03:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Glad to see I too am not the only one.

I usually present hubby with a list of preferred items and tell him to pick. Only trouble is, we shop together since the good stores are 30 miles away. So I alwyas have a vague idea.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile
For years my Mom has always known what my Dad is getting her for Christmas - but since I no longer live at home at least one or two gifts come to my house so she can't see the boxes from the UPS guy. So at least she will be surprised on a gift or two.

I am never quite sure what I am getting from DH. I give him a list, with the exact name of the place he can find it and hope for the best. Most of the time it is okay - but once in a while he gets "creative" and I get something totally off the wall - but it is the thought that counts and I am just happy he puts in the effort.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  8:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I'm glad to hear you are getting a new mixer to replace your old workhorse one! You can't complain too loudly about the old one though, 20 years is a long time. Especially for one thats mixed up as much bread dough as yours has!

I made life easy for my husband, I ordered a couple of things that were on clearance from Boston Proper. I will be surprised & delighted if they fit perfectly! I know he bought me a few things on his own, so there will be some unknowns under the tree for me. The gifts I give are always a surprise to the recipient though, I like it that way!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  9:22:29 PM  Show Profile
I try to drop hints..which my DH dosn't, hear of course. He usually gets me rather unusual stuff. My best bet is to tell his sister what I want and she is good at INSISTING he get it. I would love it if he could surprize me with his OWN ideas..but it dosn't happen. This year we are just doing stockings for each other and getting gifts for each other in January so we could get stuff for the kids that we wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. (nothing fancy)
I got his stocking stuff already. He will do THAT on monday night..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile
That's kind of funny, Michele. All of the hints, if you can even call them hints, were dropped right in your lap!

Well, dh goofed on Friday! He went Christmas shopping as well as grocery shopping after work. It saves on gas if he gets groceries after work rather than going all the way down to Boise again on Saturday. Well, he brought all the grocery bags in (or so he thought) and one of the bags had two beautiful angels in it! I collect those beautiful Christmas angels that you see this time of year. If I had been smart, I would have just put that bag down and hoped that he would see his mistake. But I let out a gasp when I saw them. He was kind of disappointed that I had found them (but they were right there with all the grocery bags!). Anyway, they joined the display with all my other angels. They are just absolutely gorgeous! I so love them.

Then he started bugging me to open something else he got! I told him no, I already opened one (well two) by mistake. I want to save what else he got for Christmas day. He'll start insisting by tomorrow, again (sigh).

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  04:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, you got to enjoy your angels a couple days early. You got to give our guys credit, they try. Merry Christmas

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  4:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Y0u all have made me laugh, ya kn0w 0ur guys try and s0metimes they can be pretty darn hiliar0us in d0ing s0.
I g0t the game I wanted, yep, knew ahead 0f time but the present was he has t0 play it with me!!!!!!! l0l
CS

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  11:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, I was punked!

He gave me my Christmas gifts yesterday morning, then when he gave me the last one, told me there was no apple peeler, just did that to throw me off!

I laughed, then told him how I had gone to work and told my co-workers about what he had done! We all had a good laugh.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  11:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Lol these are amusing. Gotta love the men in our lives. My bf of 2 months (we are super new) heard me talk about loving my UGG boots because I live in them and they are super warm. Anyway he was gonna get me them $120 I THINK NOT, I said I can afford them myself. Anyway he then wanted to take me shopping for shoes. Once again kinda boring and I wanted a lil more thought. He insisted on spending at least that amount. We picked out a piece of jewelry from Tiffanys. I said I'll wear it everyday and think of him. I just wanted a constant reminder of him in whatever he gave me. Not an apple peeler but its cute. I love that he had NO CLUE but wanted to make me happy. That is the best gift. But we spent last night playing pool at my house and drinking wine and cuddled up to watch the movie Sweet Home Alabama and I fell asleep in his arms. THE BEST PRESENT ever. :-D

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Husbands and gifts (funny) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page