Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Christmas Dinner - what have you planned?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Dinner - what have you planned? Next Topic  

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile
I am in charge of Christmas dinner every year. Usually we have some type of bird for dinner (husband doesn't eat beef and won't eat ham), but this year I am doing a Pork Loin with Italian sausage stuffing. Also I picked up a Paula Dean cook magazine and in there she has a yellow squash casserole and green beans with tomatoes. Also out of my Sunset magazine I am doing custard cup size chocolate cakes with a soft chocolate center. Then the usuals, green salad, wheat rolls and a relish tray.

What does everyone else have planned?

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Anne, my husband and I are going to my aunt's house on the 24th. She's having the traditional turkey and ham dinner with all the fixings that she usually does. On the 25th we are going to have a buffet type dinner at our home, we'll have it ready by noon and we told our family to come by at any time during the day to eat as we'll have it out most of the day.

We are having ham, pickled herring, meatballs, red cabbage, boiled potatoes, dressed eggs, baked beans, cherry salad, cheese ball, summer sausage, and assorted desserts. Might have a few more things, but that's what is planned so far. Hubby will have glogg (mulled wine), eggnog, and snapps for those who want it.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile
That sounds so good Anne, now I'm hungry! Your dessert sounds heavenly.
I too am in charge of Christmas dinner and lord help me if I deviate from tradition! So I splurged this year and bought a big organic turkey, then the usual...baked yams, brussel sprouts, broccoli, minced salad that I make each Christmas and of course mashed taters and gravy and stuffing. The big surprise this year is going to be a fresh fruit plate with yogurt/cinnamon dip for dessert.

Di
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow - you girls have the "spreads" planned. Buffet, Organic Turkey - yum. Oh I forgot to add that I am also making cranberry chutney - a recipe I got from Julia on the Southern Oregon coast - another farmgirl. It is just wonderful and so easy to make that I won't go back to pre-packaged cranberry sauce.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Anne, I think that what I have planned...is coming to your house or Diane's house for Christmas dinner!

Seriously, our family will do a ham this year, plus sides. I am in charge of devilled eggs, and maybe some appetizers (since our family inners always end up delayed hours beyond the supposed eating time). We are still working out the rest of the menu so I may steal a few ideas from this topic!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  06:17:30 AM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful, Anne!

We are doing a ham, that is crusted with cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar, whole grain mustard and a little honey, green beans marinated with bacon and drippings, vinegar and brown sugar, homemade mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and a marsala cheese tart for dessert. It will be just a small gathering of us this year, so I'm going a bit more casual than years past.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  06:27:10 AM  Show Profile
going to my sisters. We are having prime rib! Yum!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  08:47:31 AM  Show Profile
Jonni -

Wow, if that is what you do for a bit more casual - you must really go all out for a bigger crowd. The ham and beans sounds so good- yum! Then you top it off with mashed potatoes and mac and cheese - fantastic!

Anne

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Well, in years past, I've done a marinated pork loin roast, with stuffing (very much like yours), a ham (the one referenced above) and also a vegetarian main dish for our vege friends. My husband won't have Christmas without corn pudding, and Mom won't have Christmas without those green beans (they're phenomenally southern--fry a lb. of bacon crisp, use the drippings and 1/3 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup brown sugar to make a marinade, layer green beans, onions, green beans, onion, etc...until full-salt and pepper to taste. Put the lb. of crumbled bacon on top and pour marinade. Cover and put in fridge overnigth or for 24 hours, then bake at 450 until warmed through, and bacon on top is crisp again. . I usually make 2-3 pies, or one pie and a cake, or something like that, and homemade apple sauce in addition to all the other sides. I also use my china and my nanny's silver, but this year I think I'm just going to use my winterbury pfaltzgaff and my everyday flatware since we're kindof doin' it buffet style.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Dec 21 2007 08:56:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Just thought I'd share my family's "tradition". My mom started it years ago as the IL's and more friends came along. Christmas Day always got hectic with brunch here, dinner there and dessert somewhere else so we do Christmas Eve dinner. Every year though, we pick a theme, like another culture. We research a little bit on that culture's traditional dishes and celebrations. Then we recreate them as authentically as we can manage. IE A couple of years ago I did Hanukkah with the matzo soup, gefelte (sp) fish and kosher everything. However, some cultures are Much more appetitizing than others! This year we flipped a coin for France or Scotland. Scotland won. Anyone know what "haggis" is? If you do, you'll forgive us for not being so "authentic" this year. And if you don't, count yourself lucky! Erg...

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile
We are having smoked turkey AND ham (husband's request) I am good with just the turkey...haha. A friend and I are going to the turkey processing plant about 20 miles away to pick up turkeys today (we have alot of turkey farms in our county) it is fun to get a local one. I will actually buy two small smoked turkeys..they never smoke the big ones and we will likely have 20 or so people here on Christmas day. I do the regular stuffing, fresh baked sweet potatoes,creamed spinach and rolls and then our families traditional fried okra..and then let guests bring what they like too. We will go to dinner at my sis in law's house in Christmas eve here in town. And Christmas morning we have homemade cinnamon rolls and hot cocoa for whoever shows up..usually quite a few then too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daylily
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Chris
Newcastle CA
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Christmas Eve, we'll have an appetizer and goodie buffet after church.

Then for Christmas day, it will be Prime Rib, Yorkshire Pudding, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Brussles Sprouts & Cole Slaw.

I'm making myself hungry!

Chris
Farmgirl Sister #346
http://refininglife.blogspot.com
http://organizedkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  4:51:46 PM  Show Profile
I love it when these old posts pop back up! I replied up above! That prime rib sure was good!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile
We will surely have the turkey again this year. YUM! Husband always wants ham too, and will likely get it. We will have a housefull again.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  06:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure. I just got the Martha Stewart Thanksgiving edition magazine and she has turkey done in 5 different ways. I am leaning toward the stuffed turkey roll - that sounds good. It all depends on who is coming for Christmas dinner - could be 10 of us or it could be just DH and I. We usually don't know until just after Thanksgiving on who is available for Christmas.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  07:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We will be visiting family for both holidays. Thanksgiving will be spent with Doug's mom and grandma, and Christmas will be spent with my parents and his dad. We will probably spend New Years day in the midst of boxes as we are planning on moving out of this house and finding a different rental.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  08:07:29 AM  Show Profile
We have all day Christmas Eve Chili. The kids and grandkids and their spouses will come and go all day. Everyone has so many places to go that we can't get everyone together at the same time. Our chili has expanded to include a big roaster of beef stew. We have all the go-withs and lots of deserts. Then on Christmas day, Ole Ron and I will drift from one place to the other. Then come home to leftovers.
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2008 :  10:10:11 AM  Show Profile
We always have a Pork Loin Roast as well, with garlic butter new potatos, green beans, gravey, salad, rolls. Than Angel food cake with homemade whipped cream and you can sprinkle either crushed peppermint sticks on or crushed skor bars on your slice!.
Christmas morning we have ham, creme burlee french toast, eggs, fruit and mimos's!WOW Iam feeling stuffed already!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Christmas Eve it is tradition to go to my hubby's aunts house who makes chicken and noodles. All of her kids, grandkids and now great grand children come. We have been invited as we are transplants from Ca. It looks like chicken soup but that is not what she calls it so, chicken and noodles. We then go to church together and all leave for other family places to be. My hubby and I take our girls, (they are home from college) christmas light looking.

Christmas dinner is the same every year. Prime Rib, cooked in a rock salt crust, baked potatoes, artichokes with aoli and rolls. We change the dessert from time to time. (oh and wine).

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  06:01:32 AM  Show Profile
We're going to my sister's house. I'm bringing the ham that I bought at Easter and have had in the freezer (got a big ham for $10 at the store, had them slice it and put it into separate bags - can you imagine enough ham for Easter dinner, 3 meals throughout the year, and Christmas dinner for $10!). We also always have vegetarian spaghetti for my other sister, rolls and a salad. Since my grandparents and mom have passed, we have decided to scale things back so everyone can enjoy their time together instead of time in the kitchen.

Ann in Oswego

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  07:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Ann, we try to scale back every Christmas but as the family gets larger, it doesn't look like we are doing a very good job. Funny we never heard our Moms or Grandmas say anything about scaling back.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  08:25:44 AM  Show Profile
We go to my sis's & we just have a table full of neato appetizers(stuffed mushrooms, bacon wrapped water chestnuts, pates, shrimp, Boars Head turkey & good breads etc..) & we graze all day long. Fills you up & you don't need to worry about cooking a big meal.
Go to Top of Page

jumpingjuliet
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

becky
oroville CA
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile
My MIL and BIL's family are coming here for dinner. Just cold cuts and salads. We overdid it on Thanksgiving. We do not want to be to full for gifts and games afterward. We want to be alert as the little kids try out their toys;)
I will have some of my family to visit in Jan. Gram 2 uncles and a great uncle. They are stopping here on their way to winter (later winter) in AZ. I can't wait to see them. It has been nearly 2 yrs since my Gram saw our son.
She is excited and so am I.
Merry Christmas
Becky

I am one with my inner farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  06:51:57 AM  Show Profile
I see this subject is back up - this year I think we are doing the stuff turkey breast I found in the November issue of Martha Stewart Magazine. There will be 7 of us this year - that more then the usual 2 I cook for regularly. So turkey breast, twice baked mashed potatoes, rolls, stuffing, salad, homemade cranberry chutney and possibly one more vegetable - not sure. Now I have to figure out desert.

Anne in Portland, OR

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  8:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Driving up to Washington. Will spend Christms Eve at my daughters home, with my sister and her husband & her MIL visitng from England, my Neice and my mom. We Will spend Christmas day at my sisters home with my husband and my mom. Stopping along the 10 hour drive to drop off gifts to Clay's family and visit an old friend in Portland of his visiting from Hawaii..We should get there late, stay over at Dh brothers & go on from there..the next day. I love it! Family time & Friendships this is one of the best parts about Christmas I think.... we are truely Blessed.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Dinner - what have you planned? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page