Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 first rag rug - any tips?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic first rag rug - any tips? Next Topic  

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  08:21:17 AM  Show Profile
My best friend gave a mini lesson the other day amidst the hollering of our little babies and I am hooked! The only thing I cannot figure out is how to estimate when I will need to increase- this one is a bit lumpy but that is just fine;) It is so thick that Bella thinks it is a 'sleeping pad', she has it in the sun near the window!!!!!

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile
Wow, your rug is very pretty! I think you definitely have the hang of it! If you are doing an oval rug, increase only at the ends....if you are doing a square, increase where you want the corners to be and it will turn square. If you are doing a round, you can increase at regular intervals all the way around. Your stitches look nice and loose, which is my biggest problem. The edges of my rugs always curl no matter how loose I try to make the stitches!!!

Oh and I love your color selections!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:22:43 AM  Show Profile
Rebbeka,
That looks real nice, I have made a few and was thinking of making another one. My sewing machine is not working right again, so maybe its time to start making rag balls and making another rug.The first one I made was round and didn't lay real flat so I put a wet towel on it and put something heavy on top of it and that worked pretty good.I seemed to have better luck with the oval one .
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:27:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips- the colors on this are all the colors of baby slings I have made this year! there is always a four inch strip of waste fabric when I cut my pattern so I have been saving them up- funny to think that there is a family with a little one for every color. Now I am running out of fabric so I better sell more slings or find some old sheets to cut up.
Rebekka

So- am I increasing on every row (in the ways you all described for each shape)? The rug looks much lumpier in real life than in the picture.

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  4:30:23 PM  Show Profile
It's adorable! This is still on my list of things to do after Christmas.

Etsy http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Prim Sisters Shoppe http://therusticcottageprims.com
http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  8:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you increase on every row, but not too often on each row - it can then begin to look ruffly.

Also, mine was lumpier until I learned to do a special knot that Meg taught us. You cut a slit in one end of two fabric strips you plan to join....bring one strip through the slit of the other strip and loop it back into itself, pulling it all the way through. This makes a sturdy join without a hard knot. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Dec 16 2007 8:48:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic first rag rug - any tips? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page