Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic SNAKES Next Topic
Page: of 2

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  1:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Freaking out from all of these stories! Snake phobic here!
Someone recently told me that Garrison Keller said that sooner or later all conversations in the south get around to talking about snakes. I thought that was hilarious because I do indeed talk about them a lot.
Let me add this one to the stew.
My uncle lived in the mountains of NC. He lived in an old, old farmhouse. He woke up to a long black snake in the bed with him, on top of the covers. I could NEVER EVER sleep in that house after I learned about that. No matter that it happened a milllion years ago!
That, and I gardened with a family of them before we moved. Miss the garden. Don't miss the snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  12:48:27 PM  Show Profile
OH my gosh, and thats not what I would usually say.
Ive never liked snakes, and am still glad I live in a unsnake place, except for gardner snakes, and they arent usually around our place.BECAUSE they know they better not be, or else.
You all keep your snakes. and in the house, I wouldnt go back in the house either until it was de snakes. cause where theres one theres more. LOL
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  1:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma and fellow farmgirls,
I have not read anything so funny in a long, long time. My eyes are teary!

I don't like snakes either though I do tolerate the black ones if they stay a good distance from the house. I was told they keep the copperheads away which live in abundance here, so I'd rather have them than a poisonous one. We've had to kill 4 coppers this year.

Well here is our snake story:
I live in a home with 4 boys all in various stages of development so we have an assortment of rubber toys ... including snakes. One afternoon I was picking up the house and there in the floor the boys had left one of their rubber snakes. I went over to grab it and it raised its head and darted at me. It was real! I screamed like there was no tomorrow and ran and got on top of the kitchen table where I yelled and cried until my oldest son came in and removed the thing.

That old thing had crawled into the newpaper bag that had been delivered on the front porch and I had brought it right into the house. I cancelled the newpaper subscription and now pick mine up at the local market. Still gives me shivers to think about it! And the plastic snakes are gone too!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  12:33:26 PM  Show Profile
lea they say black snakes keep other things away but I dont want any of them, We dont have the poison ones here but a snake is like a rat, death to them. My friend from Atlanta had a python in her fence row, She had the animal people out but he couldnt be caught. I dont belirve I could have went out the door, He was there until last year but has since vanished. Miss Wilma

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  09:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi gals,

Well this topic has been so interesting that I decided to jump right in....I don't like snakes, mice, rats, bugs etc...but I love the country...go figure..you can't have one without the other...anyway, my most frightening episode with a snake is not even from here in the US but when we were stationed in Japan.

We had just moved into our house on base and it was summer. I was having a problem with ants in my living room and they were biting my little girl. We didn't have our household goods yet, so she was busy alot on the floor. Anyway, I got some bug spray for outside and decided that I would spray along the perimiter of the back patio. The grass was very high off the patio due to the house being vacant and we didn't have our lawn mower yet. As I was spraying, I heard a hiss from behind me and turned and this 5 foot snake was coming for me with his mouth open and slithering to beat the band. I screamed bloody-blue-murder and rapidly went back in the house. My neighbor heard me scream and came over to see if I was ok and I showed her the snake. We called the entomolgy office on base and they sent 2 Japanese men over to capture him. He never left my yard the entire time we were waiting...I had definatly upset him by invading his territory. So they arrived and went to get him and freaked because he was a rare poisnous snake from southern Japan and should have not even been in the Northern part of the country...it is amazing he was alive. The snake constantly tried to attack the men..it was quite aggressive, so they killed it. He was almost 5 ft long stretched out and I am only 4 feet 9 inches so you get the idea of how big he was compared to me. Later my husband told me that the Entomolgy guys did confirm he was from the Okinawa area and someone must have brought him up to our area in Northern Japan as a pet, but couldn't control him so they let him go. I always have the craziest stuff happen to me with the animals I dislike the most. Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Now I am a nature lover but I HATE snakes!!!! For several years we lived in a very rural area that was full of everything that crawled or slithered and I kept my pistol loaded with Snakeshot and wasn't afraid to use it. Two of our dogs were bitten by rattlers and we even had one in the garage once. Nasty Nasty. The neighbors had a garter snake that lived in their garden and I didn't like him either.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard of "snake be gone"?

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  1:44:20 PM  Show Profile
i do not like snakes....when i was a little girl, we lived on a hill affectionately called "copperhead mountain" for a while, the name definitely fit the spot, we always had copperheads in the house... i remember one getting under my bed..luckily mom and dad got it out before it got on the bed

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  1:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I saw some snake repellent at Home Depot - I'm not sure if that was the name - but I'm curious too if it works.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  10:44:50 PM  Show Profile
As a career naturalist and someone who studies snakes (among other reptiles) and has lived on a farm for most of my life I can tell you that the only reason you may have snakes is because there are vermin around for them to eat. A snake will not live anywhere unless there is an abundant food supply. Often people are afraid of snakes (which carry no diseases) and kill them only to discover that they have rodents (which do carry disease). In my studies I have discovered that everyone has a "snake story" but most turn out to be highly exaggerated. many people are unaware that several snakes mimic "dangerous" animals like rattlers or copperheads. Unfortunately, they do it so well that it often gets them killed.

Now, I'm not sayin you have to like them- my dad hated them but that didnt stop me from gathering them up in jars every time we irrigated! There is something to be said, however, for learning about how all creatures in nature depend on one another.

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers! ~John Muir
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  09:03:04 AM  Show Profile
I will still kill a rattler when I see one!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  1:51:26 PM  Show Profile
What ever happened to all the little green snakes, we used to see them in fence rows but I havent seen one for years, when we were little they told us if they bit you, you would laugh yourself to death, now I know that had to be hillbilly yarn. Miss Wilma

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic SNAKES Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page