Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Farmgirls who LOVE to camp...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirls who LOVE to camp... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Do you think it feasible to live a "camping" lifestyle ie; more than just the average week or 2 a year? This has always been a dream of mine. I have admired MJ's wall tent's so much and would love to have a spot, either on my own land or somewhere "special" where I could live for extended time. Something simple, with a hammock or cot to sleep on, a huge table to create and eat, small stove to cook and bake bread, a place for a garden. I would LOVE to bring my son up doing this. I was thinking of building just a platform with walls about 3 feet high, then tenting screen on a high pitched roof and roll down tent material. One room would all I would need, MAYBE an outhouse (Don't know if I could do this...but willing to try) and I always like the idea of an outdoor shower, heated by the sun ( and in Texas, this would be perfect. I think I would have electricty or solar to power 2 ceiling fans and a toilet (if no outhouse), sink and of course, a laptop to keep a journal. I really have fantasized about this for so long and now I really want to act on it.

Clotheline to hang clothes, use biodegradable soap for washing things and myself. BUG spray!!
And I would only decorate with what I make- quilts, rag rugs, maybe even making my own clothes- or at least a few aprons and some cute but simple dresses and tops...

I think I got the idea from when I was around 8, we stayed in something very similiary out in the woods, except it had separated sleeping areas, me and sis stayed in a little room with built in bunk beds and a chair. I want something a little more "wild" and open.

I JUST love the idea of doing this...

MaryJane- do you have a resource for how to build your wall tents or is it all from your wonderfully created mind??

Thanks.

Cheer,
Heather

Edited by - catscharm74 on Dec 15 2007 2:01:56 PM

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  4:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
I applaud you and hope you get to follow through w/your dream,,,, I am not that out doorsy, I need at least 1 tree to plug in my curling iron! lol! And as far as "privies" go,,,I need some privacy,,,I would make a horrible contestant on that "Survivor" show,,,, but, that being said, many years ago in one of my "Victoria" magazines they did a very Victorian~ladylike camping set up, wickerbasket, canoe & all. Even the model was dressed in cute campy garb, a neat plaid skirt & ruffley petticoat and of course her hair was beautifuly braided,,, (must be nice to have a "staff" attend to your every need). But none the less it looked really cool.
I should go through my 4 giant containers of Victoria magazines to see if I can find that issue.
Anyways,,,, You Go Girl!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 16 2007 4:44:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  5:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Grace I love that issue! I tore out the article. I found it right away but there is no date on any of the pages--so I googled the title Renewing a Love of Nature and found it listed on E-Bay. It's the September 2000 issue.JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  7:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you can live a camping lifestyle. My family has a rustic cabin that I love going and having "retreats" at. I go up for a week and I don't take phone, computer or anything but a few books, food, and writing supplies with me. There is electricity, but no running water and no TV or modern entertainments. It is really refreshing. The first day or so can be hard not having anyone to talk to, but you learn a lot about yourself!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  08:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Why thank you all for the encouragement. As I posted before, I would love to have enough land for privacy and to let other's come and camp and grow gardens and what not. DH said he will just build me a cabin and be done with it!!! HA!!! I still want my wall tent...

Cheers,
Heather
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  2:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Joann,
you are too clever! I never thought to "Google".... duh!
Now because you did all the work, I can just go straight to that issue! Thanx again.

good grief, I never thought to check out Ebay.... as much as I would love to make some evtra $$, I could never part w/my Victoria magazines, I would have to be in dire straights to do so!
>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Dec 17 2007 2:26:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  2:52:51 PM  Show Profile
Grace it helped that I had the name of the article. When we moved here I decided I didn't have any room for all the magazines I had saved so I went through them I tore out the articles I really wanted. Another incentive was that if I remembered an article I wanted I had to search through all those magazines. Also thrift stores are a great place to rebuild your cache. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirls who LOVE to camp... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page