Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Laptops Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  6:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I did not know where to post this so here it is. What type of computer or lap top do you use. I use a PC but have lately been very curious about the new apple? Any comments or suggestions or preferences? I want to have some type of lap top to do word processing and possible flyer/newsletter in the future. Nothing fancy. Thanks for your thoughts.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  6:57:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a dell but would LOVE to have the Apple. For the average person a PC would probably be more useful but with a degree in art and a background in grapic design so I can totally see the advantages of a mac/apple.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  8:38:46 PM  Show Profile
I LOVED my i-book, I think that is what it was...an apple they gave me back when I taught. It was much easier to use and maintain than my HP Pavilion (which works just fine but after using the apple it seems unnecessarily complicated). I am the average user- nothing beyond email, word processing, etc. One thing that did bother me about the apple was not being able to easily open files on PC's....but this was likely user error;)
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  10:10:54 PM  Show Profile
My kids all have apple products, & LOVE them. I have a new top of the line (3 month old) Dell, and have regretted it terribly. I purchased a PC ONLY because my website program will not run on an Apple. I hear daily-"shoulda got an Apple Mom!". I fear they were right. Buy the Apple.

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  06:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I have a Mac:) and I love it. I went through 2 READ THAT 2 laptops in less than a year one was an HP from Best Buy (we've had products break and no luck there so never again) and they finally figured it was a lemon and gave me a Dell, still problems. I have had my Mac since August and have had NO problems and it really is easy to catch on once you play with it. I highly recommend Macs because they get less problems and viruses. Don't be afraid. GO APPLE:)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  07:01:48 AM  Show Profile
I am really frustrated with my laptop right now, so I am gonna put in my vote... We just, maybe 2 weeks ago, bought a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy that we had read good things about. Well, this morning I was using it, left the room for probably 5 minutes, came back, screen was black and nothing will work. Nothing. My BIL bought an HP laptop this summer and has had terrible luck with it. He has taken it to the computer shop in town twice to get fixed, now they tell him his motherboard is bad. I think he bought it in July, so not even 6 months. I am writing this on my SIL's Dell laptop that she has had for probably 4 years with no problems. We bought our laptop to replace my Dell that I got when I graduated college the first time in 2002. It just stopped working one day, but it gave us 5 good years with no other problems. Which, for tech products nowadays is probably a long time. I did alot of work on that one in graduate school and really liked it. My sister has an HP and I don't think she has had many problems with hers, but her husband who is a computer-geek doesn't like it and says he wouldn't buy an HP. He has a Compaq and thinks it is great.

With all that said, if I were buying another computer again soon, I would seriously consider an Apple product. We should have looked into them in the first place, but I haven't used one, so it wasn't really even a consideration. All in all, my vote: Try the Apple.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
toni I have a laptop that "goes to sleep" after 10 minutes of non use. It looks black but when you press the power button it powers back up. You might give that a try. The first time that happened I was really confused.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  07:58:11 AM  Show Profile
i love my GATEWAY PC .. but my daughter and son-in-love like their MAC a lot too!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

AFRICA .. through my eyes and heart
http://africathroughmyeyesandheart.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile
I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC, almost 1yr old...love it, love it, love it. I am not familiar with Apple, Mac or Dell...have always had good luck with Compaq and HP. My entire office area is HP products.

Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  08:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Julie~I tried that, checked all the connections for power, even hooked it up to a different outlet and let it sit for an hour. Still no go. Thanks for trying, though. Maybe it just wanted to sleep in on the weekend. ;)
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
toni, best buy is well (insert bad words) to me because of all the issues I had with several laptops. I even had the one before that that had to be sent out for a new hardrive!!! Not fun. All of this happened to me while i was doing my masters degree aka NEED A COMPUTER, and they were sooo not nice and accomodating. So I have no use for Best Buy. Phooey on them.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  2:18:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a sony vaio laptop and I ADORE IT! Got it last year.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  6:36:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm a CPA, so I use lots of accounting and tax software and spreadsheet applications. My first one (if you can call it a laptop) was the big Compaq that was like carrying around a 60 lb suitcase! Moved "up" to a 25 lb, 40 MB Toshiba monochrome screen! (am I dating myself here?!).

Anyway, I've never had an Apple--I've had the Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, HP and Dell. This HP I'm working on now is just about 5 years old and never any real problems to speak of (looking for something to knock on). I've had Dells for the last 10 years at work, and they've been very good too! An IT guy I know said the difference is to order them direct, and not to go to the "Big Box" stores. I don't really know why, but that's what I've always done, and it's always been good.

With all that said, I'd love to get an Apple, but the software I need to use won't run on it :(

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  8:51:24 PM  Show Profile
I have the new HP pavillion entertainment bundle also that I just got a few weeks ago and so far I love it. Windows Vista was a little different but the laptop is great. knock knock. I also am in love with the camera it is so easy to use and takes great pictures. I have used Dells a lot at work and planned to go with them but I got this great deal on black Friday and I couldn't refuse. The best part I got high speed internet the next day!!!!!!

Good luck!

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile
You girls with the Toshiba laptops, we've had the same thing happen twice with my son's new Toshiba he just bought in September. It seems to happen after a Windows update, the thing just freezes, or locks up. But, I found a solution, don't know what it does, but it works. Turn it over and take out the battery, then put it back in. Both times this has happened to us,it works!

Lori
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  09:59:06 AM  Show Profile
We're a crazy MAC family, we have 4 between the two of us! They have never crashed, never had a virus, and they're fun! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2007 :  10:24:00 PM  Show Profile
I've had a Compaq laptop (for about 4 years) and now I have a Toshiba laptop. I highly recommend to not get Vista yet. They still sell models with XP and you can still get software that is compatible with XP. I hate hate hate Vista. You remember those commercials of the MAC vs PC guy? Well I never understood the part about the PC Guy asking if it is okay to do something until I got Vista....if you try to install software, it will ask you 2 or 3 times "are you sure???" pretty much. Some of the software isn't compatible, even though it says it does, etc.

Here are some "helpful hints":
- Get at least a 2GB or bigger in RAM
- Make sure that it has a CD player/burner combo in it
- Make sure that it comes installed with Windows 98 or 07 - fully installed, not a sample
- It is cheaper to buy in a store than online. Stores I would recommend would be Circuit City or Staples (Dell is now being sold at Staples).
- Look for bargains - if you have a AAA membership, you can get usually 10% or more. Also, do a "google" search for coupon codes for particular stores and sometimes you can find deals.
- Get a warranty!!! If something goes wacky within a few years, they can replace it/repair it.
- Check reviews of computer models at places like www.cnet.com
- Install anti-virus software immediately on the computer.
- Purchase a "flash drive" (1-2GB) that goes in your USB port to store photos, files, etc. - always have a backup of your computer files.

I highly recommend going for a laptop computer since it is portable if you have to go to a conference or out of the house for something. Get a mouse & mousepad, along with a surge protector, and a laptop bag to hold everything. It will come with a power cord.

I hope that this info helps ya'll!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  05:37:53 AM  Show Profile
In an effort to same someone else from my experience, I must to add to what Jessica said about VISTA. I bought a new top of the line Dell PC, with Vista OS, in Sept/07 and have struggled every day since I got it! The printer DELL sold me WITH my machine is not compatible, nor is my camera, and much of my "old" software (which is not very old). I went over each piece of hardware with a salesperson, who assured me this "is the exact same system she runs at home"! Assured me Dell had drivers that made everything compatible with Vista. Found out later, from Dell tech support, that the drivers for my printer are "expected" to be ready in APRIL 2008!

I have over 40 (!!!) hours in with Dell tech support by phone... to compensate, Dell has also sent me a new printer, and gave me a $100 credit towards yet ANOTHER new printer, when printer # 2 wouldn't work. Before purchasing printer # 3...I was finally able to convince Dell to send me a licensed copy of XP Pro. Can you say squeaky wheel? Then back again to tech support for the unistall/reinstall. This is NOT something you want to try on your own, as it entails reformatting your hard drive and changing all the partitions on these newer machines. No "average" person with average computer skills (me) should have to do what I've had to do. I am FINALY up & running smoothly with the XP OS, and my printer, etc., actually WORKS!

I also have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron laptop... It was sold (to thousands) with an adapter that causes the machines to overheat. Dell finally recalled and replaced the adapters after many, many complaints. Their tech support is still based in India and is still not good unless you can get through to upper level support. This takes hours of retelling your problem to someone new each time you call. Very frustrating.

I wish I'd looked at the online forums and chats BEFORE I bought. I think you can get a pretty good read on customer satifaction from those sources.
Yup, next time I buy an Apple.

(stepping off my soapbox now)

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  05:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Great infomation, Jessica! That should be very helpful!!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  06:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
That was good information, my prof said to make sure to get as much RAM as you can afford...esp if you want software and pictures and music. If you get a mac you won't have to worry about VISTA!!! I hated it and loved Windows XP before but I am "young" 25 and felt so stupid and I am also a technology person and catch on very fast. If you haven't checked out VISTA go play around with it. See what you like. I still say my Mac is by far the best I've had. I had one in College the only problem was it was ahead of its time and had no floppy drive... If you are a student or someone else is enrolled in a college you can more than likely get a discount through the Mac website. I also didn't have to install any anit-virus or spyware on my Mac:) I spent so much on my other laptops and that was not fun trying to make sure they were safe but never were. GOOD LUCK!

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  07:49:06 AM  Show Profile
You gals are very welcome. I know that Dell's desktops are not the best. I know of 3 that crashed not even after a month of using them. In the place I use to work for, the computer would get too hot and the fan would overheat and then stop working. It takes a few days to even get customer support to come out and fix it.

Another useful website for all things computer is www.geekstogo.com. They usually have reviews and updates on there as well.

For those that have CompUSA near them, they are going out of business. You may be able to find stuff like the flash drive, mouse, cd-roms, mousepad, laptop bag there but I don't know how much cheaper it would be. I would not purchase a computer from there because of the warranty wouldn't be any good.

Also - another 'saving' tip. If you have a Staples Office Supply - get their Business Rewards Card. It is free & you earn points per dollar, etc. I get gift certificates all the time each quarter up to $40 to use in the store. I use them to buy paper, labels, ink, etc.

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  07:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Yeah Jessica we use the Business Rewards Card, pays off when you purchase printer cartridges paper and excuse the pun, staples for the office. hahaha I had to! I love rewards programs:)

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  7:43:33 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that I'm addicted to Staples....I'm always recommending it because I've gotten such great service there and deals too. One year one of my friends gave me one of those "Easy Buttons" for a Christmas gift - haha. My all time favorite thing I bought there was the "Apprentice Organizer" from Donald Trump's show the Apprentice. It was very useful for a small amount of room.

Oh - I forgot to mention several in the past have asked about should they buy extra batteries for their laptop. Unless you are traveling every single day and need a fresh battery, then no. I have used the same battery that came with the laptop and it is rechargeable.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  07:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thank you all for your info. I just took the bite to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4800. My Dell has been good except for the first year I owned it. My DH and I both bought desktop the same year only months apart and both crashed days before their first birthday. Mother boards bad. Mine with my finals inside and not backed up. Yes learned a VERY important lesson. After Dell fixed both they have been great until 2 months ago when my (baby) Dell took to the blue screen. $173 later the geek who fixed it told me I need new memory to make it run faster. Never had a problem with it running fast enough before but when he got done with it I could hand deliver a letter faster. After another geek (free this time) looked at it he made some setting changes and things were better but also said I should get more memory to run more modern programs and spyware. So I went to get memory. Told to get 1GB (which is tons more then I have straight from the factory)now $100 later I need to install it. SO after spending $273 and a dinner to have geek over to install I'm hoping it's better. Gosh darn thing only cost $499 when I ordered it. I think I will go to the Mac store and have them explain to me how theirs work. They can also explain my iPod too. I love XP but from what I hear about Vista not sure and from my reading from all of you maybe MAC is my new adventure into Laptop. I know next to nothing about Laptops (even lose a job because I could not finish the interview because I did not know how to work it) might as well start from scratch. The only thing is I will need to have files go back and forth between my two machine. Wonder how that will work?

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Laptops Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page