Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Tracy,...a Mustang question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tracy,...a Mustang question... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile
I was talking with the BO the other day and she said that out in the wild, there are no white or white/grey Mustangs due to coyotes being attracted to me. The boss mare will ostracize the white horse on purpose. The white horse is way too noticiable and an outline is too bright, bringing way too much attention to the herd.

I've never heard that and from the BLM wild herds I've seen out on the lands, I really can't remember seeing a totally white or white/grey horse but it has been a while since I've looked too.

I haven't done any research, just thought I'd ask you opinion.

Winona

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
In the Wyoming herds you would occasionally see a white horse. My dad and I saw one that was either the stallion or the lead mare of the herd (too far away to see).

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  8:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Ok, thanks for the info. My uncle told me decades ago that if you want to catch up a lot of wild mules, use a white/grey horse and the mules curiosity will make them follow the white horse into a ketch pen...interesting, huh??

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  9:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Of course there are white ones. They're called Perlino or Cremello...but to you and I they're white. I love the blue eyed boy at the bottom, and if the little girl on the top is still at the holding corrals in April I'm going to ask them to bring her to WA to the adoption, because a person can never have too many holes in their head, right???

There is some thought that perhaps the rest of the herd will pick on the light colors for the reason you stated, but I don't think that's really been proven.

Mesteno Wild Horse Photogrpahy
http://mesteno.blogspot.com

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tracy,...a Mustang question... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page