Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Black bean dip Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  08:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Merry Christmas to all
I am looking for a recipe for a Black Bean dip. The dip I had had black beans mushed and bacon in it but that's as far I know. So if any of you have a recipe please let me know. Need it for Christmas eve.
Thanks!!!!!!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  08:21:23 AM  Show Profile
I make mine with what I have on hand- no recipe. I add jalepenos, fresh or frozen corn (after t's all mushed) and I leave about 1/4 to 1/3 of the beans whole. I also add some good olive oil, red chili peppers, and fresh cilantro and diced tomatoes. I dice avacado and fold that in carefully so it's still in little chunks. I squeeze over that whole thing a few limes or lemons to keep it fresh and zingy.
I love it spicey, so you may not want all the hot peppers, but my black bean dip goes quick!
I also sprinkle liberally with salt and a little black pepper.

Dalyn
Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  08:37:12 AM  Show Profile
This is the one I've always used from Epicurious--I think it's a Bon Appetit recipe, but really simple and tasty

4 bacon slices
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 15-ounce cans black beans, undrained
1 teaspoon chopped seeded canned chipotle chilies*
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

PreparationCook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Coarsely chop bacon. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings from skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add cumin and oregano; sauté 1 minute. Add beans with their liquid and chipotles. Simmer over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Transfer 1 cup bean mixture to processor. Blend until smooth. Stir blended mixture into remaining bean mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Chill dip and bacon separately.) Stir half of bacon into dip. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with cilantro and remaining bacon. Serve dip chilled or at room temperature.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  6:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Jonni I think That is the one!!!!!!! Dalyn, I make a salsa very much the same way you do. Garbanzo beans are really good in a salsa type dip. Roast them in a cast iron skillet (Very Hot at first to seal them quick) with lard and garlic until dry and browned. Then mix them into my dips and salsa. Thank You!!!!!!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Black bean dip Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page