Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Birthdays
 wasps and bees oh my!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Birthdays: Previous Topic wasps and bees oh my!!!!! Next Topic  

miraclesanddandelions
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

barb
heber city utah
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:26:13 PM  Show Profile
can anyone tell me of a humane way to get rid of wasps and bees? this year we have them all along the side of the house and up in the eves of siding. they are right by our door and swam around us when we come and go. I know they are not happy about us being here BUT!!!!!! Any ideas? Thanks.sorry about putting this in the birthday section! I need to pay more attention

Edited by - miraclesanddandelions on Aug 12 2005 11:59:00 PM

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  12:06:21 AM  Show Profile
What you are probably seeing are wasps and hornets. Bees usually don't swam at you unless provoked. I don't mess around with them trying to be humane. If you have them that bad I would call an exterminator. They are nothing that you want to mess with on your own.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  05:06:09 AM  Show Profile
If bees have swarmed to your house you should be able to call a beekeeper to come get the swarm. You don't want them using your walls dripping honey. We need bees. They're a very important part of pollination. If you can avoid killing them please do.

I agree with Kay. It sounds like you have a big problem that should be handled by an exterminator. If you decide to spray on your own until the exterminator gets there you should wait until night when the temperature has dropped and the hornets have gone back to the nest. Do it from a distance and leave the area immediately.

This is a very informative site from Utah State University. http://extension.usu.edu/files/factsheets/waspsyel.pdf

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  06:28:37 AM  Show Profile
In a forum I moderate we're able to move threads to appropriate categories. Can that be done here?

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Birthdays: Previous Topic wasps and bees oh my!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page