Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 SIL is so sensible!!! I so commend her....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic SIL is so sensible!!! I so commend her.... Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  06:33:23 AM  Show Profile
My sister in law is such a great parent--I've mentioned it before, I think, about how well I think she (and her dh) are raising our niece and nephew, but a few days ago I asked the annual question (since they were born)..."What would you like us to buy for Ava and Max for Christmas?" Because, well, you WANT to be the coolest Aunty and Uncle in the world, right? Her response was "Pleeaasse DON'T go overboard on them--they have too much already." Not, "hey, let's get everyone to buy them expensive toys so we don't have to", or "here's a laundry list of absolutely unobtainable items for you to run yourself ragged over..."

I will still do something very fun, but I'm really grateful that she sees they don't want for anything, and now I can be a little more "educational" in my purchases. I'm heading to the Learning Emporium on my lunch hour!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  09:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You're lucky and the kids are lucky. Have fun shopping in the Learning Emporium! Let us know what you buy!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  10:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Yay for your SIL!! I love it when people are sensible and realize that their kids don't need loads of stuff. Just the other night my MIL came over and asked what my son needed. I guess this was her way of asking what to get him for Christmas, so I politely told her that he didn't really NEED anything. I mean, he's 10 months old, what does he really need? Thankfully, we are able to provide him a warm home, plenty of food, and two parents that truly love him, so his needs are met. But, she persisted. Surely he needs clothes, she says. No, our child is in no danger of running around naked, he has more clothes than I do. So, I told her, if you really need ideas of things to get him, how about some blocks, or other toys that aren't plastic? Well, I got the your-a-dope look for that. What, toys that aren't plastic? Why would you deprive your child of the joys of plastic crap? GRRR

Enough rant, I just wanted to say that your SIL sounds lovely and her children are lucky to have her as a mom. Let us know what you get.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  6:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Ive tried this for years. Especially with my parents. They used to go just crazy.
Finally, they stopped with so much junk every year, when they came over one afternoon (yes, my mom figured out the highway went BOTH ways-LOL )
and found my son cleaning his room. We literally got the shovel out and shoveled just about everything out of his room into the trash. My Mom was horrified as she gave him 75% of the stuff in the trash pile.
She finally got it after twelve years.

Now we are all more thoughtful on the gifts we give the brats I mean kids.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic SIL is so sensible!!! I so commend her.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page