Page: of 2

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  6:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
oh, you girls make me feel so guilty! we have been eating just horrable! the kids get free meals at school, so i have been letting them eat there to stretch my grocery budget. although they are all pretty good about avoiding excess sugar and food dye, it is still far below my standard fare. i eat lunch at work since it is also free and can only be so selective. i make a good supper everynight, but i feel that it does not make up for what we eat durring the day. i feel sluggish and my stomach complains at me sometimes, so i know that our health is suffering because of it.

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

kimmieinNMS
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kim
Byhalia MS
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  07:54:31 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies, I just found your great site yesterday in search for info about Poison Oak....who knew it was never dormant ?!?! I'm so glad you guys are here....I have been looking for a resource like this on and off over the years....wanting to make a healthier change for my family but not having the time to figure it out myself. I can't wait to try some of the things I have found on your site. As for this post here....does anybody have any suggestions about convincing the fam to take on the lifestyle? I know we would all benefit but DH is the one in need, and the problem. He was diagnosed with diverticulitis when he was 28 and just found out he is pre-diabetic and needs to lose weight. Unfortunatly, his also a VERY PICKY EATER.....won't touch most vegetables (he'll tolerate green beans, black eyed peas, and potatoes but that's it.) Both of us and therefore our two precious children are predisposed to diabetes so I know we all need to make the change but my son is following in his daddy's footsteps. Any suggestions? I liked the idea above of slipping stuff into the recipe but that will only work if I can pre-make it....otherwise, DH gets home before me and wants something quick and convenient. I nearly croaked when I started reading labels....with all the sugar and sodium....OMG!!!! I'll take any ideas or suggestions you grand ladies may have. I want my family to be healthy and I want my children to have their daddy for as long as possible.

There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.

(Booker T. Washington 1856-1915)
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  08:06:57 AM  Show Profile
It is so good to hear us all taking control of our health. Yea for us!!! We can do it!!! It is amazing to me how most people just care about convenience and really don't care what is going into their bodies. Thank GOD we know the truth and are willing to act. I have really gone crazy with sprouting this week. I have a book called Nourishing Traditions that has some really great info. I have been grinding my own wheat and making my own bread, but just realized that I should be sprouting my wheat first. So I have started doing that... more work but definitely worth it. Next I really would like to get away from yeast.. and want to make naturally leavened bread. Any good recipes out there. Sorry to ramble on....
Keep up the great work ladies. I am so proud of all of you!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  08:32:28 AM  Show Profile
I make a pate that is very routine for me but is the basis for many of my snack attacks. I can't even give you an exact recipe.

I set a cup of garbanzo beans, a cup of hulled sunflower seeds and a cup of hulled sesame seeds in water, all in one bowl. (Organic of course.) I let them soak overnight. Then for two days I start rinsing them twice a day and keeping them in their same bowl but not soaking, just sprouting, with a plate over the bowl so they're in the dark. I just leave them sitting on my counter.

Then I toss them all into a food processor along with a fair amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice (maybe a bit of water if it isn't processing), some greens, red onions, some cloves of garlic, some salt, and cumin to taste. Voila! I keep my pate in the fridge and love it best on the half shell--a side of fresh bell pepper. Crackers work or I use it as a dip for carrots or celery. Oh, and slices of green onion added after the processing. I'll try to snap a pic today if I get a minute.

High in protein, calcium, very digestible and cheap to make. I even use it as a salad dressing. To do that, I add a bit more lemon juice or vinegar, some mustard and then some agave syrup until it's the consistency of salad dressing. Yum.

MaryJane, Good Eats Sister #1

P.S. Stephanie, keep up the great work!

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  12:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Since going vegan, and my hubby felt this too - not only did we have more energy, but we feel more clear-headed. He said he just thinks so much more clearly in the morning than he usually does, I feel like a veil was lifted that I didn't know was there. Like brain fog. Really weird!

Hubby falls off the wagon pretty often, I'm pretty strict about it because of how much better I feel.

Here's a really good soup recipe:

1 med onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tbsp olive oil (or butter)
4-6 cups veggie stock
1/2 cup dry lentils
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 tsp fresh ginger root, peeled & grated
1 - 2 cans crushed tomatoes (small cans)
1 rib celery, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
1 large carrot, chopped
splash of honey
mushrooms

Sautee onion & garlic in oil in large pot. Add other ingredients, boil, then simmer 2 hours. Yum!

Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  3:58:38 PM  Show Profile
MMMMM, both of those recipes sound great. Can't wait to try them. Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  9:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey there Kim,

First off..welcome to the forum!

Second..You don't live that far away from me!!! I'm in Southaven..looks like you are on the east side of Olive Branch

My suggestion is to eliminate all red meat. Try to switch to the chicken breast or pork if they refuse to just eat chicken but definitely get off the red meat.

Eliminate all the high fat snacks with the lower fat alternatives. They are out there but you have to read the labels. As time goes by you can find recipes for snacks and slowly but surely eliminate the high fat, high sugar processed foods.

Here are two of Mary Jane's products that can make your life simpler. The Budget mix can help you prepare a one skillet meal and it's low calorie, low to no fat and low sodium. I haven't ordered my bakeover pan yet but I'll be ordering it next week.

http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=232&ProductID=42010

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/bakeover/

She has many different organic products that could help you shift the way your family is eating. I bet someone at the farm would be happy to help you pick out products to fit your purpose.

I hope this gives you a few ideas. You will probably meet resistance from family and friends but at some point we all have to decide what's more important...the food or the body??

Let me know if you ever go into Olive Branch...we can get together and visit.

Talk to ya later,
Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  9:45:39 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, That pate sounds wonderful! I want to try it...Yes, take a picture and post it. These are the type foods that really add the zing to the fresh veggies.

It also keeps down the boredom of always the same thing the same way. I'm stepping out this week and introducing your Budget mix for a nice alternative. Gotta order the bakeover pan next.

I think the bakeover will fill that desire for something cooked but still very healthy.

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  11:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I received my package today from the farm. I ordered the Budget Mix Tote Bag combo...This is going to be a good thing!

You gotta read about it…
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com

Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com

"Idealists…foolish enough to throw caution to the winds…have advanced mankind and enriched the world." ~ emma goldman
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  1:49:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary Jane! Thanks for sharing your pate with us! Quick question as far as what 'greens' you use -- not sure if you're throwing in spinach or lettuce or perhaps kale? Sometimes simple confuses me:) TIA

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
I know that this isn't raw, but I really wanted to share about sourdough bread.
I had been looking for a recipe, not realizing that I had one the whole time (duh!). I usually grind my own wheat and make yeasted bread, but I have been reading different things about "man-made" yeast not being too good for you. So I first I tried Mary-Jane's pan bread... I love pizza. I tried the herbed crust and threw on tons of veggies...YUM! Next I tried her recipe (from her book) for sourdough bread. 1st time I made it...eh - it was ok. Today is the 2nd time - Wow! delish!!! my dh really likes it too. He wants me to make this instead of yeasted bread from now on. So for dinner I made a pot of veggie soup and sourdough bread. excellent! If you haven't tried it please do. It is worth the work. you won't be sorry. Plus it only has wheat, water, salt. Love that!
Sorry to ramble. Enjoy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 75% Raw Diet....My Creations Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page