ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  07:01:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking about organizing some farmgirls together to possibly get some borrowed vacant land from the city of Chicago to create a community food farm. Basically, my idea is that we'd have a volunteer farm in the middle of a "food desert" area in the city where we could recruit some community members, grow some veggies, share our produce with our volunteers, and donate the rest to an organization like a soup kitchen or Midwest Workers Association or a church or something. Would you be interested in becoming involved in something like this? I'm thinking of having a meeting at my place after the new year and maybe getting the whole thing started for the growing season of 2009.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested.

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  07:11:36 AM  Show Profile
I emailed you. Sounds like fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  07:31:33 AM  Show Profile
And I e-mailed you back! Give me a call!

I've already got one other person on board from the MJF crowd. I know places where I might be able to drum up some other volunteers, too. I also know of some community gardens that I'd love to be able to observe in the 2008 growing season to see how they work.
Go to Top of Page

jenbove

320 Posts

Jennifer
Calico Rock AR
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  11:36:22 AM  Show Profile
FYI: in the same vein....

Producers and Growers Wanted for Chicago Farmers Markets
Forum Scheduled for February 6

Due to the success of the Chicago Farmers Markets system the City of Chicago is actively seeking to recruit more farmers to serve the citywide system. The Chicago Farmer Forum is scheduled for Wednesday, February 6, 2008 at the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. Forum hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The forum is designed to answer questions and inform new and existing farmers and producers --how they too, can participate in Chicago’s well attended program. The City of Chicago is looking for farmers from Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin and Illinois. Some of the products in demand include organic fruit and vegetables, artisan cheeses and specialty foods that are a staple in the diet of Hispanics and the African-American Community.

The United States, the bread basket to the world is literally facing a farmer shortage. The inflated price of land, the hard work and income earned makes selling the local family farm more appealing than farming. For the past several years, the Mayor’s Office of Special Events has joined forces with Chicago’s Green City Market to promote farming and “coming to market” through this workshop.

The Chicago Farmer Forum is designed help find solutions to their challenges. This year’s keynote speaker is Chris Bedford. Bedford is co-founder and President of the Sweetwater Local Foods Market – Michigan’s first farmers market that exclusively sells locally grown fruits and vegetables raised in a manner that enhances biological diversity and builds soil health. The meats, eggs, and cheese sold are from animals raised humanely without antibiotics or hormones. His film, “What Will We Eat?” will be shown and tells the story of a citizen’s movement to build a healthy, local food supply.

From 2001-2004, he was the National Campaign Coordinator for Sustainable Agricultural Programs of The Humane Society of the United States. From 1998 to 2003, he served on the national Sierra Club’s Water Committee, helping to design and implement a nationwide campaign against the destruction caused by industrial animal production. He is a nationally known advocacy film maker and strategic campaign consultant winning dozens of awards. He is currently President of the Center for Economic Security, a non-profit located in Montague, Michigan that develops education and organizing campaigns to bring ecological intelligence to governmental and commercial decision making.

The Farmer Forum will also cover the following topics: Selling at Market in Chicago; What About Meat and Eggs?; Trucking and Storage Options; and Grant Writing and Growing Your Farm. Special invited guests include Michael Fisher, Director of New Marketing at Country Insurance. Fisher and his team will be on hand to discuss health insurance and other farm/risk insurance needs.

Farming is not a job but rather a lifestyle. The days are long and the work is physical and it can be difficult to financially provide for a family. Educating consumers on “why they should buy local” is also a slow and necessary process.

Pre-registration is required. For more information and to register, call
or email:
Sheri Doyel
Farm Forager
312-744-9493
chicagofarmforager@yahoo.com

Jen

Expedition Leader, MaryJanesOutpost
www.maryjanesoutpost.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member # 9

The View From My Boots
www.bovesboots.blogspot.com