True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:28:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

My name is Susan and I live in Bellflower, California. It's one of the many patchwork communities around Los Angeles. I'm single and my only herd comprises two cats for now and my crop is the herbs I grow and the two lemon trees and tangerine tree that I manage to keep alive. I consider myself an Urban Farm Girl.

You know that feeling you get when you know who you are deep inside, what your drawn to, what makes your heart feel contentment and then you suddenly find a spot where people are are of the same mind. Well that's what I'm feeling now.

I admire and respect the ability to take raw materials and craft it into something tangible, be it goods like meals or a particular item or service like raising livestock or a crop or a family.

Born in Arizona, I've always lived in California, but growing up I spent summers with my grandparents in Missouri. I took in the rural life like mothers milk. Gardening, preserving, small town life. Or I spent summers in Arizona with my other grandparents and family in Williams where my uncles had sheep companies and the herds were north for the summer.

I've always been drawn to the idea of doing things from scratch, learning how to do things. I put in all new plumbing lines for the house this past spring with some help from my dad. I didn't know how and wanted to learn. I've taught my self to quilt, tat, needlepoint and crossstitch, crochet, knit, I even made my own knitting needles. I sew, draw, refinish furniture, make jewelery. I like to cook but I love to bake and have entertained the idea of starting a small bakery.

My friends think I'm Miss. Susie Homemaker because I'm attracted to the way things were done way back when. They chide me about it but they also love what I surprise them with. This last weekend it was homemade ice cream that they had never had before. They know they can find me at a flea market, antique store or a craft store and that they will most likly receive a handmade gift of food and crafts made especially with them in mind, possibly wrapped in a vintage frilly hankie if it's small.

Finding myself here has been very serendipitious. I've been on an apron kick for 5 years now. I made one to make baking more of a ritual. I saw an article in Country Living about Aprons back in June and bought the magazine. Then this week, in searching for a clothespin apron pattern I happened upon MaryJane's website. I realized that she was in the current issue of Country Home that I had and was the author of a book that a friend thought was right up my alley and recommended. It's funny how when things are right they just come together.

I hope to learn alot from y'all and to contribute and encourage while hopefully making new friends.

Looking Forward To Meeting You,
Susan

Edited by - Susie Q on Aug 12 2005 10:30:41 AM

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:08:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Susan! Have a look around, read the Members Tips post in the Welcome Section, and join in when you feel comfortable! I already know you'll fit right in!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susan. I read about Mary Jane's farm in Country Home as well. My husband and I moved from a city to a 35 acre farm in southwest Virginia a couple of years ago. We have 7 sheep, 3 goats, a donkey and 21 cats. We rescue cats, so I can identify with your herd of 2 cats. My husband told our friends before we fled the city that he was going to be a cat herder/farmer. I'm not as talented as you, but I'm doing very well with my garden. I think I grow the best silver queen corn in the county. You'll find this forum informative and very entertaining. I wish I had time to read every message. Oh...one of my cats' name is Susie Q!
Mary Jane
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  11:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Susan, & welcome from another new member in Ca. (the SF Bay area).
You certainly sound talented - full of farmgirl talents! I wish I had a neighbor like you!
At least we can "talk" here .................
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  4:43:07 PM  Show Profile
hi susan,welcome you sound like a real home town girl.welcome randi
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi From Southern California Next Topic