Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Roosters to get death penalty--Updated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Roosters to get death penalty--Updated Next Topic  

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:46:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm so disappointed that I ordered any roosters along with the girls. Two were expected, and another was sent instead of a female. Now, two are beating up the third, who has always been nice around us. The two are going to be culled by DH, who is so miserable about the whole thing. Meanwhile, the injured roo is in the cellar away from the flock... and we hope he lives and can be kept. It's a bummer for sure

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Dec 10 2007 6:46:41 PM

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  12:03:22 PM  Show Profile
ahhh, we didn't get a Rooster with the 8 girls to try to avoid those problems that come when you get a mean one! I hope the nice rooster recovers quickly!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  1:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Don't worry about a thing, Ann! Roosters pose their own sort of difficulties - just a couple of weeks ago one of ours got out of it's "tractor," and came after my 4-year-old boy, who (and I can tell you he would be so embarassed if I told you this) was so scared and screaming that when he jumped into my husband's arms he wet all over him! Anyway, we had that durn thing for dinner that very night, and guess what the little one said while eating crock-potted "aromatic chicken?" "Mom, that rooster was going to eat me, AND NOW I'M EATING HIM!!!!!!!"

So, really - just cook 'em up and be thankful that they "chose" to give their lives to provide a couple of nice dinners for you.

And best wishes to the nice one, too!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  1:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Get well wishes for the nice Roo. Sorry about the nasty ones

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  1:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. I just visited the poor beaten roo, who is hunkered down looking dazed in his temporary home. The girls have had way too much attention from three roosters, and some even have quarter sized places on their backs where all the feathers have been pulled out... so I guess the latest "crime" justifies what needs to happen, anyway. I appreciate the support, farmgirls!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Poor sweet rooster! I hope he is back to health soon. There is nothing I dislike more than a nasty tempered rooster. My father-in-law has the nastiest one that I have ever seen. The very minute you get to the gate, he drops his wing, starts his little dance and is after you. I always carry a broom when I go to visit. Last time, I whacked him like a baseball across the yard. Think I'll stick with hens.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  5:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for your troubles...but must admit to a chuckle! Roosters are surely an adventure!

Mesteno Wild Horse Photogrpahy
http://mesteno.blogspot.com

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  6:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Good news! The injured rooster is much better and is expected to return from isolation to his girls tomorrow. The other two now have new homes. I'm very happy they didn't have to be killed. They will be "overseen" by a very alpha male turkey

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  6:58:58 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I also have a rooster that is awaiting time to be put in the crockpot. He attacked or as Emma put is "Flocked" our 4 year old granddaughter Emma and she said very tearfully "Papa you have to cut of his flappers and cook him but I am not going to eat him". He was also not to be a boy but started crowing one day to my surprise. Apparently he was my free bird with my purchase of pulletts. I do not like keeping a rooster because the hens stay in such a tizzy all the time and are so much calmer and happier without a man around. Go figure!!!!

Good luck,
Becky

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  7:59:07 PM  Show Profile
***WARNING, CONTAINS ALTERNATE USAGE OF NOUN DESCRIBING THINGS USED TO PECK IN REGARD TO ROOSTERS"***

You know, some of our roosters (we only have two left, thankfully!) peck the hens, and, in his most wonderfully innocent childlike way, William has told me a few times that maybe what we need to do is to cut their peckers off. You know, Becky, I think Emma might have quite a solution, what with only removing their flappers!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  8:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
TOOOO Funny!!!

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
TOOOO Funny!!!

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  08:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Libbie and Becky, you girls are so funny! I told Phil about your son, Libbie, and the rooster who "got et", and he cracked up. I'd love to have been there when Emma told her "Papa" to cut off the flappers because of her being flocked.

I have heard of hens being really mean without a rooster present because the girls establish a "head hen", and the pecking order is tough on some of them. Our girls seem to miss the boys terribly. They're making noises that sound really anxious. Go figure.... I do think they'll be glad when the injured rooster is returned to them.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  2:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Libbie....eeevil! LOL

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  4:31:05 PM  Show Profile
Yep, that's called "Natural Selection" jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  08:27:18 AM  Show Profile
My rooster, Frankie, is mean to everybody except me (guess I'm the "alpha-fowl").He's actually a very good rooster; very protective of his women. Can't let my family read all of these entries or we'll be having fettuccini al frankie for supper!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  08:59:54 AM  Show Profile
We had two roosters with a very small flock of hens for the longest time. One was so nasty that he would not let the other crow or act manly at all. The less dominant one even sat on a few eggs once to show he was not tough. Well, that ole nasty one was even mean to us and we would play "rooster hockey" every time we went into the henhouse to feed them or collect eggs. We would have to bring our hockey stick in there and whack him every time he thought he would dominate us! Finally, he fell into the "deep sleep" on his own a few months back and now mr tender has full run of all 19 hens (we added 16 hens last spring). He is the cutest old man who is kind and gentle to his girls. Too bad we did not get rid of Dr Evil a long time ago.

My new blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile
The one we kept also didn't crow until after the others left. He's such a nice boy, kind to his girls and to us... and crows up a storm! I've learned that the mean alpha rooster we gave away is terrifying his new neighborhood... even the neighbors are afraid of him. I have to wonder what his lifespan will be.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile
You can learn a lot from a henhouse, huh? :)

My new blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2007 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile
...like the meek shall inherit the earth!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Roosters to get death penalty--Updated Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page