junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:48:36 AM  Show Profile
I have the front of my house decorated with natural greens and winterberry wreaths and swags. I also put some winterberry twigs stuck into the ground of my front garden for color. Yesterday, I was off from work, and noticed a lot of birds flying around my front door....well...the birds seem to like the winterberries also! The cool thing was that the birds were a beautiful color of blue that I've never seen before. I have a bird book, and looked it up and they were Eastern Bluebirds. I have mixed feelings about this, as I loved seeing these gorgeous birds, but I would like them to leave the berries alone. Oh well, they have to eat too....just hope there will be some berries left! lol!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Dec 07 2007 06:49:28 AM

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  06:56:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey there, junkjunkie...

Hmm, is there a way to put a bird feeder out somewhere else on your property, and maybe fill it with food that looks similar to the winterberries? At least that way, the birds may actually get distracted from taking apart your decor!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  07:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Zan! I have feeders all around, but (according to the book) these birds eat insects and such during the summer, and when winter comes around, they like berries. They're not seed eaters. Well, maybe I'll have to get some fake berries to replace the real ones. :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Dec 07 2007 07:03:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  08:48:22 AM  Show Profile
WOW, that is awesome, what a wonderful treat to see all those bluebirds so close to your house!!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  08:53:24 AM  Show Profile
They almost look like the bird you have pictured, Michelle. It was a treat, so I quess it doesn't bother me much about the berries. I've been seeing more birds lately that I've never seen before, and I've live in this state all my life....or maybe, I've been more conscience of birds, since I have feeders and a reference book. At one point, I just stood by the door, and they eventually came close, which was nice so I could see the markings and colors better.

Edited by - junkjunkie on Dec 07 2007 08:55:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  09:04:08 AM  Show Profile
Bluebirds are my favorite birds, I LOVE their colors!!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  06:41:28 AM  Show Profile
I love bluebirds too. Just think of the bluebirds as your deocration! :)

Maybe one of those suet feeders with berries would help.

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulticolored-life.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  7:48:26 PM  Show Profile
You are so lucky to have bluebirds by you! My father would be envious. He had a bluebird eat out of his feeder once years ago & has been trying to lure them back ever since. They don't usually come to our area, which is just southwest of Chicago.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  3:34:25 PM  Show Profile
I get Blue Jays in my backyard and love them. They like to sit on my rose arbors and sing. Last week, while on my 'puter, a red tail hawk landed in my flowerbed and started picking at worms. I politely suggested he move to the barn and reduce my rat population rather than eat my earthworms. I guess he didn't like that suggestion because he flew away

Hopefully he'll come back.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Blue birds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page