Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Help from OK, TX, LA Farmgirls?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help from OK, TX, LA Farmgirls? Next Topic  

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  06:37:16 AM  Show Profile
We are taking a road trip in December to visit my brother in Houston and on the way are stopping to visit some friends in Paul's Valley, Oklahoma. After we leave Houston we will return by going across Louisiana and up into Mississippi and Tennessee to visit my sister, so...

Farmgirls from those areas...do you have any travel tips for me? Great places to eat, cool places to stay, must-see attractions? As an enormous chunk of our travel budget will be spent on fuel, we are looking for inexpensive things to do and see (and stay). Know of any free tours in your area? Let me know! ;) Some of the most interesting things we have ever done on vacations seem to be the free tours. The Jack Daniels Distillery in TN is one of the coolest free tours. I cannot stand the smell of whiskey, but it was so interesting. Those are the kind of things I am looking for. We have a baby, so we will have to be stopping quite a bit, so we might as well enjoy the road.

Has anyone been to the Woolaroc Museum near Bartlesville, OK? Not free, but I think it looks neat. We love to drive, so even scenic roads interest me.

Please tell me about your areas! We do not have a set schedule, so we are very flexible if we find fun things to do.

Thanks so much for your help!

Toni

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  07:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Are you going to be traveling via I-10?

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  08:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dennise!

I am not really sure about I-10. I would say that we will at some point, but I am more of a highway kind of gal instead of interstate. But, we are open to anything! We don't have firm plans yet, even though we will be leaving in two weeks! :) Do you have any tips?

I have been to Baton Rouge once in college to visit LSU, but we didn't really get to stay very long. Beautiful campus!
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  08:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
toni, what a wonderful trip.
i dont know too much about oklahoma, but when you are in the houston area, i would recommend going to kemah, south of houston and going to their version of a board walk. also take a day trip down to galveston to see the gulf of mexico, the strand and dont miss riding the ferry to bolivar and watching for the porposes(sp?).
when you are in galveston, i would and do eat at the shrimp and stuff, its at 39th and O. a nice little neighborhood eatery with good food, but not too expensive. kind of a local place, with interesting atmosphere. i will try to keep thinking about places along the way.
oh, yea, when you are on the road, between dallas and houston, a good place to eat is the collin street bakery in corsicanna. you can visit them on the web at www.collinstreet.com, and dont forget to try the pecan brittle, or pecan praelines.
in galveston, you can go to the strand and visit all the shops and then take a free trolley to ride around the island and it will bring you back to the strand.
anyway, hope this helps, i have made myself hungry thinking about all the food.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  08:40:06 AM  Show Profile
Baton Rouge has sooo many good resturants.

If you want seafood I would recommend Mike Andersons.
http://maps.google.com/maps?safe=active&ie=UTF8&dq=mike+andersons+loc:+Baton+Rouge,+LA&daddr=1031+W+Lee+Dr,+Baton+Rouge,+LA+70820&geocode=9360355150989005417,30.388729,-91.170346&f=d&ll=30.388425,-91.170366&spn=0.28431,0.617981&z=10&om=0

For breakfast food and lunch items Another Broken Egg is really good.
http://www.anotherbrokenegg.com/index.php

Dennise with 2 n's
Farmgirl Sister #47 **~~** Country girl raised in the city.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  05:12:05 AM  Show Profile
I am sooo excited about this trip! It is great having insider information from girls I trust, too! Thanks for the tips and let me know if you think of any more. I can't wait to try some of these restaraunts!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJo
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Jo
Oklahoma
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  6:35:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm waaaay over on the other side of the state so I can't help you out much. I've heard the Woolaroc Museum is awesome.

Travel safely and have a good time.

Aunt Jo to 24 nieces and nephews and counting
http://auntjoscorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  7:56:34 PM  Show Profile
you have to check out woolaroc, it is a really neat place, the animals come right up to you. if you come thru tulsa, let me know.

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  7:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
I live in Houston. I would love to visit with you. Please email me.Hugs,
Elizabeth

My blog