Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  9:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well today's heavy storm kicked off the electric for us off and on for an hour and then we were without power for about half and hour. Luckily that isn't enough for our house to loose heat, but it started me thinking.

How would I keep my baby warm if the power did go out for a long time? We don't have an alternative fuel source like propane or wood stove. Because we rent and live on the second floor a generator is not feasible (financially either).

So sometime this week I am going to buy an old fashioned oil lantern, wicks and lamp oil. My sister used these in Maine when the power went out and she said they keep a room pretty warm if it is small enough. It looks like I better always know where a bundle suit for Nora is- even in the dark.

The biggest thing I missed was light. I couldn't craft, stitch, read or do much of anything while the light was gone. I was able to get a candle lit so I started washing dishes.

I knew we had enough food in the house that we could eat raw- but it certainly made me think about stocking up on quick fix items. I am going to be making an order from the farm to give to my BIL for Christmas anyway- I guess I will order some extra for us.

Honestly what I would love to do is order one of MaryJane's packages. She has three different buying plans :http://products.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/AllProducts.asp?dept_id=150#Storage%20Food
And my mouth positively waters when I read about them! Maybe I will buy the "Alone at Last" one until Spring and then invest in a bigger plan. I know you are supposed to rotate through a food stash- So I guess I want want that I won't mind eating! LOL :D Add that to the staples we have like flour, yeast, salt, sugar, rice etc I think we are set!

So what is your plan for winter outages?

Do you have candles and lighters/matches handy?

Do you know your way around your house in the dark? Can you find your emergency supplies without any light? Do you have food and water on hand? What about extra blankets and warm clothes to layer as the heat seeps out of the house? Is your house winterized?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand to keep Nora out of trouble!

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  9:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Alee right now my plan is to just have what I need. I do know that I NEED to get busy and get it all in order, I also need a kit in my car.BUT last time I had a kit in my car I got flipped and almost killed by my "emergency"kit, by its flying out my back window. But since I have a backseat/trunk I should be safe huh?

Mama to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  9:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda-

Yes, you certainly need a kit now in this weather. Remember my story about that van. Yup! I would have had to sleep in the Van all night without some emergency supplies. Your trunk should be safe enough. Make sure you have flares, blanket, matches, emergency water, and emergency style food. A candle in a metal coffee can also is really good!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  11:27:58 PM  Show Profile
We are pretty well set for emergencies...oil lamps in each room, candles in a drawer in the kitchen and flashlights handy too...72 hour kits and lots of food storage, a car kit and blankets and all...our thing we arn't so good about is stored water...gotta be better about that. I like to keep a bag of cheap cat litter in the car for traction if needed too...I keep it in the car all winter and then I can still use it on spills in the barn or garage if it dosn't get used when winter is over.
I am thrilled to have our wood cookstove now..so I can actually cook easily if the power is off... I still had ways to do it before, but this is easier, and a good heat source too.
You all be careful and prepared this winter!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aunt Jenny-

Be careful with the cat litter- If your snow is moist at all- it can make traction worse. Cat litter is composed of Bentonite. And I am from where the Bentonite is mined. It looks like clay- but in my hometown we call wet bentonite "The World's most slippery substance". Seriously.

I have heard of kids rolling their vehicles just because they have turned to sharply on wet bentonite. Just food for thought!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  06:45:00 AM  Show Profile
A big ol' Coleman camping lantern isn't a bad buy. They run on a big battery and can be recharged (I think) not very old fashioned, but certainly good to have at hand until you can get enough candles and oil lamps running and safely out of reach for Miss Nora.

We heard yesterday from Drew's work that someone hit a power pole or something and that that caused something of a local blackout...we are on Clearwater power and didn't have more then a lot of flickers out here. I hope that if someone did collide with a power pole and knock out power, that they are ok and alive

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart
Annika
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  07:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Oil lamps for every room and extra blankets and quilts stored where I can get them easily. If we need to we cook on the BBQ as it always as propane. Lights out time is great for playing board games and our favorite is playing pool. The dogs get freaked out by the power outages though.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  07:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Thinking and praying for all you folks in the western states, and hoping your power stays on and that the winds blow right by you with no damage.

Even though we are in Florida, we still know about storms. We have a wood burning fireplace and lots of wood - we would just close off our living room and bunk there if it got too cold in the house. But it never goes below about 15 degrees - that is the coldest I remember here. We also have oil lamps for light, flashlights, water, quilts, propane grill, dry foods that can be mixed with water for meals, soups, juice in small bottles, crackers and nuts, first aid, and a phone with a cord. And p-nut butter! Just a few emergency things I have learned to keep around living in hurricane country. Also, matches.

Keep warm!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile
We have a fireplace, but it needs work before we would burn anything more than a small fire. For back up heat we have a kerosene heater. We have flashlights, oil lamps, an outdoor grill, a couple of first aid kits, and loads of blankets we keep just for emergency purposes. Also have dry foods that could be mixed with water like Jeannie said, as well as soups.

When I was younger and living at home we were without electric for quite a few days. The roads were pretty much closed as well. We were lucky to have stocked up as they thought it might be a bad winter storm. My parents and I shut off the rest of the house and pretty much stayed in the living room. It was so cold and I remember sitting on the couch with so many blankets around me. We had candles and oil lamps for light and I remember doing a lot of reading for those days.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Please remember to never burn outside fuel sources like Grills, indoors. Last year we had a huge black out in this area and several families died of carbon monoxide poisoning because of burning grills and such inside. There just isn't enough ventilation. We also had several house fires. These incidents were more up in the Spokane area, but were really heart breaking. People were just trying to stay warm and cook food. So if you do plan on using a grill as a back up option for cooking- please make sure to use it outside and away from the house.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile
To keep Nora warm you can always use your sling. Your body heat will keep her comfy! One more great reason to baby wear...

Blog: http://thelahs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  3:25:02 PM  Show Profile
We have in several wall plugs throughout the house, lights that plug in. When there is a black out the lights all go on and run on battery power, which are always charged because they are plugged in! It is such a comfort for them to go on automatically when the electricity goes out. The brand we buy is "Garrity".

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
Farmgirl Sister #43
Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile
yep, flashlights, 0il lamps, quilts, blankets, fireplace....f00d n0t as g00d as sh0uld be but w0uld make it, 0ur st0ve is pr0pane.
WE have used the flashlights and candles quite a bit in the last 2 weeks, the main that c0mes int0 0ur h0me is g0ing 0ut, they are c0ming t0 fix it t0m0rr0w. Thankfully we d0n't have t0 pay f0r it!!!!!
Stay warm and safe girls.

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blackout!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page