Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Looking for my mini-farm/ranchette...things I miss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Looking for my mini-farm/ranchette...things I miss Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  11:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I are getting really tired of being gone all the time and it's to a head now and we have talked about chucking it all and 'retiring' to a secluded 'ranch'. (Run-on sentence deluxe there...hehehe).

We have a 35.5 ft 5th wheel that we live in anyway, in an RV park, so we can move it where ever we'd like. I miss sitting out on the porch and watching the world go by. Hubby wants to go to the local cafe and shoot the bull with others (swap lies, in other words!). I want to enjoy my horse more and maybe get more into the horse biz again. I miss hearing a rooster crow in the morning.

As long as I have the internet, I'm good. I'm not too much a people person anyway and enjoy the quiet. I find this to be more and more and more. Maybe I'm getting into hermit territory.

My daughter and I have thought of a bunch of ideas to do, handmade things and a website.

But on the road, we just can't do this. Getting really tired and need to slowdown.

Winona

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  11:35:14 AM  Show Profile
We are thinking a lot of the same, not being gone, just wanting our own small place to be happy and relax. Small manufactured home, easy to move, so long as I refrain from adding a sunporch :P. I just need my internet, and a patch of earth for a small, binky little farm 2-5 acres and I'm ok...I'm kind of bookish and hermit-y anyway and my joy if working in the garden and making my self/home/life as self sufficient as possible. I hope that you find your mini-farm soon =) I'll cheer for ya!

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  11:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a wonderful idea to me, Winona. Go for it! :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh, another almost hermit here!!! I've been thinking an awful lot lately about why I want a farm. I figured that I want more solitude than the city can afford. We have good neighbors and all, but we are just too darned close. When I sit on the front porch, all the neighbors in a good 3-4 house radius can watch me enjoy my morning coffee. Although our back yard is fenced with 6 foot tall wood slats, there isn't a lot of privacy either. On nice evenings, when everyone is in their back yards enjoying the weather, we can easily overhear each others' conversations. All I need is reliable high speed Internet for my business and I'd be set :)

Oh, give me land, LOTS of land under starry starry skies...

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  01:40:15 AM  Show Profile
Well, we have to go to WI tmr but when we get back, we're heading 'over the mountain' to check out some land that is close to some friends of ours.

Yep, I am a hermit I think, at heart. I'm truly getting a bit strange about other people and I think it has to do with all the hurt I've had from others so I'd rather not deal with it. I'm finally coming to grips with this. So I have my kids and grandkids and horse and dogs and my wunnerful hubby and I'm good. Hubby is a social butterfly but he's starting to feel the need for solace too but he still has to have his cafe to meet the guys...hehehe...

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  05:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Wionna,

There is a lot to be said for a quiet peaceful environment! I hope you are able to find that in a small farm but in the meantime maybe find ways to achieve that in small ways now? (You may already be doing this-- I am new so forgive me if this is not in line for you.) I try, not always successfully, to bloom where I am planted so I am trying to find ways that bring a sense of peace and calm into my life now because I seem to be one of those people who is so sensitive to overstimulation.

I have Amish neighbors and yesterday they stopped in and we often chat for a long time. They have a different sense of time than most 'English' which I rather enjoy because I am forever on a different time frame than everyone else. Every time we talk I can feel the sense of urgency that is so huge in our culture leave and it is so refreshing. I am trying to not let our busy, hectic society rub off on me anymore than it already does. I don't think I can give up electric but I can adjust my thinking, right? :)

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulticolored-life.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  08:22:24 AM  Show Profile
Sue...I hear what you are saying. Part of the reason I want to move to a farm is to get away from the hectic life of the city. The problem is, there are many opportunities, especially artwise, there, but sometimes the frenetic pace and sour attitudes can be too much!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  2:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Don't give up hope ladies - you are always welcome here at the Funny Farm. Hermits are very welcome we just wont talk!

Living out in the country has it moments of time moving at the speed of light but I must say I love it. The only problem is everyone tells me they want this life until I get them out here and they can not seem to give up their city ways. It gives me a great giggle when they figure out it is 20 miles to the nearest Starbucks, I do not have cable or a dish, I do not even do a cell phone. They love the idea of what I do but when it comes down to the work after a couple of days they are ready to pack it in. For those who REALLY want their dreams you will find a way - trust this city gal for the past eleven years I have been living my dream and I did it my way. Good luck and if you are ever in my area let me know and we can arrange a stay at the Funny Farm.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  6:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hear you, I know us city folk can be heathens about having EVERYTHING and having it NOW. I remember a funny moment when I was volunteering as a tech on a farm sanctuary...they were giving tours, and apparently there was a couple there who had come just to "see if they could get a sample of farm life" (why one would think that one day walking around on a Farm Sanctuary would give them that idea, I don't know), very sweet young couple but they, like myself, had come up from Manhattan...

Anyhow...both of them looked completely puzzled to see people using pitchforks and shovels, cleaning manure out of the barn stalls. "Don't you just turn them out in the yard to do their business? Why should you keep them in here, it seems to make too much work for you" asked the young lady. Now, I'm probably as city as you will see in these forums, but even I had to look at one of the sanctuary's employees, who gave the same look to me.

Hmm....

Anyhow, I LOVE your blog and site grace, your fiber is beautiful!

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I am glad you like what I do - it is my heart, my passion and a ton of work, but I would not change it. I remember the first time my realitor came out to our farm after we moved in a started our business - I took him around to see what we had done and his made a weird face and a girl tone scream. I spun around thinking there was an animal down or something and he was pointing at an egg laying on the ground. I yelled "What"? and he screamed it came out of it's butt - I will never eat an egg again. My youngest son without skipping a beat said "What did you think they had a zippered pocket"? John was in his early 60's and I could not believe he had no idea of where eggs come from. It is O.K. not to want to work so hard, smell the smells, or have to be the one to put an animal down that you also brought into the world. It has been a long road with tons of pot holes but I LOVE being a dusty, washboard country gal. Celebrate where ever you find yourself and be true to the song within your heart - it is never wrong!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2007 :  10:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh my....uhmm, I think I almost fell out of my chair as I read the chicken story, Grace! That is HILARIOUS! Yikes. It IS interesting that some people are really not aware of certain things! I know some folks who wouldn't be able to identify the same fruits and veggies in their garden. I have a small mini city garden and grew cukes and I remember having friends by who didn't realize they were cucumbers! Something about the winding vine being attached, and the yellow flowers somehow rendered them unrecognizable. Oh well...makes for funny stories!

www.bigtownfarmer.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Looking for my mini-farm/ranchette...things I miss Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page