Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Daikon radish ~ cover crop question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Daikon radish ~ cover crop question Next Topic  

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  09:09:04 AM  Show Profile
In Mary Jane's Idea/cook/life book, the Daikon radish is mentioned for a cover crop. I would like to find the same seed as mentioned but it seems Peaceful valley farm spply no longer carries it.
I have looked around on the net for other sources but none of them mention it as a plant that grows through the "hard pan" type soil. They mention it to be grown in loose soil.
Anyone have more information on the subject? Would goats and chickes eat this radish if I stored them for winter rations?
I have planned a 5x20 section in the garden for mustard seed and may add another just for this radish- in the area where clay is about 6 inches beneath the soil.)
Thank you for any information and/or leads.
~Tammie

http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/ A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  09:30:30 AM  Show Profile
I don't know where you can find it currently. I wonder why Peaceful Valley quit carrying it? Yes, if you want the actual huge radish TO EAT like you buy in a store, you'd want to grow them in a loose soil. If you're using it for a cover crop, hard soil is okay. Remember, you can eat the big pods on top (about half or a third the size of a pea pod) and just as favorful as the radish. And the pretty blossoms you can eat as well in salads. You can also save your seed every year. Hope you can find some!

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page

unusual farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Akron / Canton area ohio
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  2:02:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary Jane. I went back just to assure myself I did not make a mistake. Their search engine showed nothing for Daikon radish and the result was for a good bug blend.
I will ask at a few local nursery/garden centers. Maybe someone local has it.
We hope to try this new edible in the garden and to experience a new taste.
Thank you again for the information, Mary Jane. It helps to clear up what I have read about it.
~Tammie

http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/ A woman with love in her heart, dirt in her hands, & children playing with chickens at her feet...
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Daikon radish ~ cover crop question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page