Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Several (Unrelated) Chicken Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Several (Unrelated) Chicken Questions Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile
My girls are laying, first of all! They're just getting started (I got them in mid-June), but I'm already bringing in a half dozen or so a day. I've got three Marans, four Wyandottes, and sixteen Easter Eggers, so I get really pretty color variation, and I'm planning to sell in the clear recyclable plastic containers so you can really see the eggs. Yay!

So, here are my questions:

First, I have two roos. One is a gorgeous Cuckoo Maran. I am seriously in love, and so are the kids. We handled him a lot when he was little, but do so much less now that he's a big boy. This week he started rushing me now and then when I enter the barn. I have three kids, six, four, and 18 mos. They play outside a lot, and I free range the chickens. I've never had a rooster before, so I don't know if there's anything I can do to deter aggressiveness toward humans (I know some roosters are just plain more aggressive than others), or what you'd consider the cutoff for allowing him to run around on the same three acres with my kids before you'd call it and find him a new home. I started calling him soup pot Davy, but it's an empty threat. We're vegetarians. I'd appreciate input.

Second, this morning, he (Snowy) had blood on his head and the back of his neck. It looks like he got grabbed on or just below the comb by our other rooster. It looks like it's closed up now, and none of the hens are messing with him. I let everybody outside for the day to give him more space. Am I doing enough, or do I need to separate him 'til he's healed? The boys have been chummy so far, but it was bound to happen sometime.

Also, I'd love to add some more dark eggers next spring. I've thought about Barnevelders and Welsummers, but I'm curious what you think. I need a breed that can handle cold weather. I love my Marans and would gladly get more, but they have a reputation for going broody? Can anyone speak to that?

Last, anyone know where I can get a cheap incubator? That would sure help me enrich my flock without having to buy 25 chicks at a time.

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Wyandottes are great in cold weather, I love the look of the marans and want some myself. My big concern, having lost my hens to two very crafty raccoons, is do you know that the attack on your roo was from another of the boys? could something have reached in and grabbed the back of his head while he was roosting? I'm worried for your flock.

I wish I had answers for some of your other questions. I think I would recommend separating the boys from each other and seeing if that makes things better. But I would wait for a mare experienced hand to give advice

Good luck!

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile
They are in half of a small barn, which we've vetted pretty carefully for predator access points. We do have metal roofing over old asphalt, but I just went out and checked for gaps, and I don't see any we've missed. The only way I can see is if a weasel came in through the grate over the non-operational fan. It would have to hang creatively off the roof to do it, but it would put it right in with the girls. We have a light on, so Snowy would have been awake and fought it off. The only other thing I can think of is if a coon got in through a gap on the other side of the barn (it's divided in half). It could have gotten at Snow through the chicken wire. There are tiny blood spots on the inside of the door, but Snowy's been shaking his head. I can't find anything to indicate a struggle, and I can't see how either animal could have gotten back *out* in either circumstance. I'll have my dh go look again when he gets home, though.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  6:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes one rooster is just mean. I can rarely keep more than one rooster in the same pen...unless I can house them seperatly I just keep one most of the time. I have one beautiful mottled cochin bantam rooster named Richard right now..and one Cornish cross rock rooster..who will have not much more time on earth..but has a lovely voice. Sometimes young ones do fine together for quite sometime and then totally turn on each other when they are 6 months or so old. And they generally attach the head and neck of the other.
Chickens will for sure kill each other...hens will sometimes gang up on one they don't like and do the same. Makes you wonder what is going on in those little heads! Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  9:29:26 PM  Show Profile
When we commercially raised chickens, they would peck eachother also. They think something is on the chicken and try to pick it off, not knowing they are making it worse. The comb is a common spot to be pecked. A really agressive roo will grab onto your leg with his spurs and it feels like being shocked by a VERY strong electric fence. It can deeply penetrate the skin, and I've seen it leave scars. Maybe he rushed you because you walked in on him with one of his girls? Maybe u startled him, but if he keeps doing it, I would rush him back and yell NO at him. But that's just me...Maybe you could bring a broom for self defense.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  10:03:39 PM  Show Profile
I would just watch Snowy for a little while. Every time I've had a chicken separated for awhile, they got attacked upon reentering the population. It's possible he just had some kind of accident, maybe another chicken didn't do it after all. Is the other rooster higher in the pecking order?

I have some roosters that rush me, but they don't try to peck, they just flap their wings on me and puff up. If that's all your roo is doing, I wouldn't worry too much, but just watch him to make sure, especially around the littlest ones. I let my 2 1/2 year old in the coop, and he's never been attacked or even messed with.

Just because Marans may go broody is no reason not to get more, especially if you really like them. Yours may not, and even if they do, just keep taking the eggs anyway. I have one of those grabber things that I got at Walmart, and I have no problem getting eggs out from under my broodies. If you do have some that brood, there is your cheap incubator! Or else I have a cheap $30 styrofoam one from Theisens (farm store) that works fine for me. You can spend an extra $30 and get an auto egg turner, but I prefer turning by hand. I had a good success rate this spring with mine.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile
I have had roosters rush me too, and some are just all bark...but be careful...I had one tiny banty rooster jump up spurs first in my face when I was gathering eggs and cut me from above my eye and then down my cheek, barely missing my eye...it was scary and painful. He was culled that day...but still. I hadn't had any warning that he would be aggressive before that. I had too many small kids (mine usually gather the eggs!) to have a scary rooster around. so be careful!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  1:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Well, he seems OK. I don't see any new problems, and he's healing up. No one seems to be pestering him, and we got nine eggs today!!!

Aunt Jenny, I hear you. I am an "err on the side of caution" kind of girl. I really like Snowy, and he's a good boy; I just want to keep an eye on him.

Heather, I will watch for that styrofoam incubator! I ordered from MM this year, and if I'm going to hatch maran babies under my hens' bottoms, I wouldn't mind diversifying my stock a bit first.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  6:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, good idea, Sarah. I ordered from MM last year and Welp this year and next year I am going to try Ideal. I have heard good things and they have a huge selection. MM and Welp have both been great, too. I would recommend either to someone. My parents are going to start with a few chickens next year, so I will probably get a big order!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Uh ohhh

Sounds like your first rooster is well on his way to becoming a real problem! I hand raised 2 and both were holy terrors. A 3rd was left to his own devices and steered clear away from us when he got older. I gave him to a friend anyway. I don't like having to watch my back. It got so bad, a neighbor started carrying a stick with her on her walks. After just a few times, I kept the rooster up. An aggressive rooster doesn't bode well for good neighbor relations or young children! If you have ever been harassed or flogged by a rooster, you won't soon forget it. For such a small bird, they are scary even to grown adults! And the spurs really hurt and sometimes draw blood.

And for Snowy.....they don't call it a pecking order for nothing.
Soundls like the other rooster is asserting himself. Sometimes if there are lots of hens to go around the fighting isn't as bad. sometimes it is.

I have ordered from IDEAL twice, and may make another order in the spring. If you don't want 25 chicks in an order, they do 1/2 orders too for a small fee. Like and extra 4.00 or something like that. And they really do have a great selection!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  6:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How many hens do you have? Some times if you don't have enough hens for two roosters they will become even more agressive. Don't be afraid to defend yourself with your boots if needed. I am not a kicker of animals, but sometimes you have little choice if a rooster is attacking.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  09:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Hummm, all the things I did not know about chickens. I found a plan for a portable chicken coop in Mother Earth news and am contemplating building it. I like I can drag it to different parts of the garden and let the chickens peck and scratch to their hearts content. I have a couple of extra stalls and thought I would turn one into a home for them. Keep the goats company.

Now, do you really have to keep a rooster? Sounds like they are trouble. My experience with chickens goes back to 5th grade, about 50 years ago. I had a banty hen who raised some Rhode Island reds, they kind of ran free and Grampa ended up cooking them. I did not speak to him for a long time. I like the idea of the colored eggs, but don't think I want to have too many. I do go through a couple of dozen a week, but do not know if there is market for extras.

You guys are great, I am constantly learning new things,
Barbara

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/

http://Duchess56051.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile
These rooster attacks are so scary. My husband, who is the "top rooster" has been attacked three times, now, by the same rooster. This one also attacked our neighbor who helped us this past summer, while she had her baby in a sling. That was her last visit into the chicken coop or run. We wish mostly that we'd skipped getting roosters altogether, since the girls are wonderful. However, last weekend a redtail hawk climbed into the covered run where there was about 9 inches of gap, attacked from a sitting position and the roosters (there are 3) defended the flock. The hawk left, but in a few minutes tried the same thing again. The roosters were successful, and we haven't seen the hawk since. So the roosters definitely have merit. I think we have too many for 21 hens, some of whom are getting bald spots. Of the three roosters, I can't imagine killing any. I'd gladly give one or two to new (and good) homes, however. (That said, if the aggressive one attacked me, I might just make chicken soup.)

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2007 :  03:33:18 AM  Show Profile
No, you don't necessairly need a rooster. It is nice to see a big pretty bird of any chicken breed, but their potential aggression isn't worth the stress on you, and the abuse to the bird.

I sometimes would feel really badly for defending myself while wearing steel toed boots. Never phased the rooster though, they just keep on a-gettin' it.

Hens lay eggs regardless. The rooster is just an extra bonus if you want chicks.
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, Snowy has settled down. I was triggering him, it turned out. The girls go submissive for me, and I was petting them. He saw it as competition. When we're outside, it's no big deal, but in that contained area, it was just too much for him. He and my other roo seem to get along fine now. I think that minor frostbite was causing the bleeding. I saw it once more, on a night when the temp was below zero.

I think the best argument for having a rooster is that they can protect the girls when they're free-ranging. I've personally seen foxes, hawks, and the other night I saw a fisher not far from here. Not to mention that dh once thought he saw a bobcat. I'll keep my roosters if at all possible.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  09:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm pleased it all worked out

Isn't chicken psychology interesting??

Pity I naver gave any of mine the benifit. But I think they were too far gone.

We are enjoying our rehab rooster. He bounced off a truck last year and was nursed back to health. For whatever reason, he has the sweetest disposition. He has gotten bullied by our Silkie rooster, but the little guy has the short man's syndrome anyway.

I think my hubby has a soft spot for big boy. We recently lost 2 other chickens from the dog up the road. I left them to free range while we were at work. My bad. So when hubby got cross at me for risking Big Boy, I too didn't want to loose him. He has come too far to become some feral dog's snack.

Big boy is also real smooth with his ladies. It took a few days for him to figure it out, but he is a gentleman.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile
We eventually gave two roosters away to friends who free-ranged, and the aggressive rooster was tamed by their thirteen year old daughter (the chicken whisperer) by holding him upside down by the legs. When he quit struggling, she put him in her arms and petted him. After several sessions, he became a sweetheart. It's a lot easier on the girls (we have 21) to have only one rooster. The remaining one has always been a gentleman with us. I want the protection he can give the girls.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Several (Unrelated) Chicken Questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page