Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  09:45:21 AM  Show Profile
OK: So I wasn't born a farm girl, but I should have been. I grew up learning everything organic and homemade in my home city of Toledo, OH. I lovingly call my parents "Hippy wannabes". I do all of the needlearts, quilt, can my own fruit and generally never hire out what I can figure out to do on my own. But I always love to learn more and I look forward to using this website to further my "education". I applaud all of you self sufficient farmgirls out there. Peach canning is coming up. Woo Hoo!

Tania

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  09:48:37 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Tatiana!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  09:53:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Tatiana..sounds like you sure have a good start!! I am about ready to can peaches too..in the next week or so they will be ready...I love it too!! I am glad you found us!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Tatiana!!!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1826 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1826 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Iowa. Idaho is a beautiful state. I have a cousin in Boise and my grandparents lived in Emmett many years.
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Tania:
Your name is spelled the same as my daughter's, a little unusual.
Peaches are oh so yummy! I used to can a lot of stuff, not so much anymore. I wonder if you have ever tried drying fruit? It is something I have been considering lately . . . especially tomatoes, which I'm told are fabulous when dried.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

flowerfarmer
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

julie
eagle idaho
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  10:36:46 AM  Show Profile
hi tatiana,
I am in Eagle Idaho! i am new here too!
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  07:42:30 AM  Show Profile
Nancy:

It is trully an unsual spelling as I have only met one or two with the same. Yes, I have dried fruit and such before. Really sweet cherry tomatos are such a great treat. I have also done Romas because we love them in pasta. I've got a nice crop of both going this summer.

Tania
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  07:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Hi Tatiana! A beautiful name! Peaches are in full swing here in Virginia. Everybody is canning or making preserves or freezing them. Or just EATING them! YUMMY! Drying is a great idea - I like making fruit leather. You puree the fruit in the blender - and you can add other fruits to it also. Then spread the goop on sheets of something like saran wrap (first dust the saran wrap with some cornstarch or powdered sugar) and spread the stuff out in single serving type sizes. Like 9x9 inches. When dry, simply peel it off the saran wrap, wrap the roll up, wrap the saran wrap around it and it is ready to store for when the kids are hungry. You don't have to add any sugar,because when the fruit is dried, the sweetness concentrates - kinda like raisins are sweeter than grapes. But do remember to dust the saran wrap with some cornstarch or powdered sugar or you will never get the fruit OFF the wrap. Spoken from experience ;-)
Tomatoes are great dried. And you can dry onions - but do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT dry them in the house - take your dehydrator outside and plug it up and do it out there. Or your house will smell like onions for DAYS AND DAYS. Not a good smell for a long period of time. You will even smell like onions for days and days. Just a warning!! LOL
Another good combination for the dehydrator for fruit leathers is strawberries and pineapple. GREAT! And of course, in another month, we'll have apples - and boy, do they dry great. And make great fruit leather too.
Welcome!!!!!
Robin, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  08:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I also have cherry tomatoes and romas growing and some Early Girl. I was wondering why only a few of my tomatoes were ripening and just yesterday noticed some green tomatoes on my lawn with bites out of them . . . hmmmm . . . then I noticed my little dog, Aero, rumaging through the tomato plants in my greenhouse and grabing a quick snack. AND, I noticed a suspicious green smudge on my other dog's nose. Who would have thought that dogs would love tomatoes? And now I've got to think of a way to keep them out!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Good Morning from Boise Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page