Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Favorite Old Hymns...Mikki's post has me thinking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Old Hymns...Mikki's post has me thinking Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  09:03:30 AM  Show Profile
We all come from different backrounds--and I'm sure different religious backgrounds. While I was raised in church, we didn't sing too many of the old hymns (and now I understand my home church has done away with the hymnal books all together-?????--and a giant screen comes down out of the ceiling????). Most churches around here are this way now--no hymnal books, and songs that noone knows. Gosh, I hate that.

Some of my best memories are of my great grandmother, Dodie, singing her favorites while cleaning, while cooking, sitting and sewing...She always sang "He Keeps Me Singing As I Go" when she gardened, and her roses were always beautiful. Maybe I should adapt that one, along with some better composting

Grandma Dodies' favorites were:
The Old Rugged Cross
He Keeps me singing as I go
There is a fountain

Do you still sing old hymns? What are your favorites? My husband's grandmother, who is catholic, says some kindof little "saint ___ help me" whenever she is need--what songs get you through?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

CorgiPants
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jenna
Champaign IL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  10:32:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm in an odd position because I no longer am Christian but still love these songs that I grew up with! I listen to them on our bluegrass radio station and on CDs and sing them all the time. I do still see them as spiritual songs and derive my own meanings from them by focusing on the message and less on the specific religious details. We have one church around here that is a cowboy church that has bluegrass and gospel music every Sunday night, with live musicians. And the church my mom goes to still uses the same old hymnals. I really disliked the "new' style of songs we sang when I was in youth group as a kid.

My favorites:
The Old Rugged Cross
Wings of a Dove
As the Deer (which I learned at church camp when I was 12)
Prodigal Son
Just a Closer Walk with Thee
How Great Thou Art
Why Me
I love to tell the story

And I LOVE all Christmas music and sing it year-round, especially Go tell it on the mountain, Oh little town of Bethlehem and O Holy Night.

Get the latest information about swaps at: Swapdex.blogspot.com
And visit me and my family (including a corgi) at: corgipants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  10:42:49 AM  Show Profile
I have a few favorites from my youth, too - one especially being "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel." It's an old LDS/Mormon Hymn, and it's just beautiful. If you're interested, you can here it here: http://www.lds.org/cm/catalogsearchseqrange/1,17930,4784-1-1,00.html?searchRange=7&searchseqstart=241&searchseqend=260#nullLink. It's Hymn #252.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  11:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I love hymns, carols and anthems. I play these constantly in my car and home. My Mother was kindof a child prodigy pianist and organist so she started playing at church when she was very young. She recently retired as church musician after more than 50 years of service. When my father or grandmother couldn't watch little ole me on saturdays because of their jobs, i went to church with mom for her music practice, or extra money jobs playing for weddings and funerals. I have been to more weddings of folks i don't know than probably anyone you ever heard of! My share of funerals too. I have two hymnals from my childhood and youth that i treasure. i am writing a devotional for gardeners that is laminated with binding that makes into a easel so that the music and words to my collection of "nature" hymns can be sung while working in the yard. It is waterproof, etc... i am writing this thing because i sing while working out in my yard constantly and don't want to wreck my treasured hymnals. I know the neighbors are wishing i'd take voice lessons...
here are some of my favorites (the short list, don't ya know)
His eye is on the sparrow
amazing grace
hark the herald angels sing
god rest ye, merry gentleman
guide me oh thou great jehovah
Oh beautiful for spacious skies
blessed assurance
wonderful grace of jesus
be thou my vision
Softly and tenderly
&, although I am not a shaker (sadly, hardly any shakers remain) i adore the shaker hymn called Simple gifts
love, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  11:27:55 AM  Show Profile
I was raised in church with hymn books and the old hymns. It's sad that most churches still don't have hymn books or sing those songs. Our kid's are growing up not knowing the beauty of the words and songs. There are certain hymns that bring special memories of my childhood in church.

Just As I Am
The Old Rugged Cross
In The Garden
Blessed Be The Tie That Binds
When We All Get To Heaven
Great Is Thy Faithfulness

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, I go to this little country church in Krypton and we only sing the old ones. Some of my favorites are -- I'll Meet You at the River, On Jordan Stormy Banks I stand, Old Rugged Cross, Little Brown Church in the Vail, Gentle Savior, so many I can't name them all.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
http://beloved-creations-storytelling.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  11:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Lucky you, Janet!

Yay! So many lovely old songs--I note that most of us have a soft spot for the Old Rugged Cross.

Thanks for sharing that link, Anne. I'm going to listen when I get home this evening, because my computer at the office doesn't have speakers!

I was raised in church, but my home church just got too big for me--and I haven't found one since that I like. Of course, I did move away, and lost the habit of going. My faith is mine, though, and I still have my own sense of "church" every Sunday. Most churches around here seem to be going the way of "come as you are, we have a rock band" kind-of thing, and while I think that has its merit, I haven't felt a sense of "community" anywhere. I think that's why I hold onto these old songs!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  11:55:55 AM  Show Profile
I love the old hymns as well. We're Methodist, but my mother was raised Baptist - she gets a kick when we sing Baptist hymns on Sundays!

Standing on the Promises
Just As I Am
Rugged Cross
Just A Closer Walk with Thee (I also like Little Jimmy Dickens version - Just a Bowl of Butterbeans!)

I like a newer one as well (I looked it up and it was written in 1963) - Lord of the Dance.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  11:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Karen - What a great idea you have for your 'nature hymnal'! I LOVE that idea! I'm sure your plants will respond to your serenades.

Janet - Your little church with it's old gospel hymns sounds like heaven on earth to me. I love and am most moved by old gospel music. The commercial Elvis Presley was never a favorite of mine. But the gospel Elvis still rocks my soul!

Jonni - That impersonal giant screen thing makes me nervous. There's a lot of that here, too. Most of my family goes that route. I went to one once and the pastor said that there were no windows on purpose, so people wouldn't be distracted. I always like the Walton's episodes where they held Sunday services outside - LOL

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile
When I was growing up, my family went to a United Methodist church. I loved the hymnals and the organ and the stained glass windows, and I just don't see the appeal of the rock band approach either. Where have all the traditional churches gone? I put up with going to church these days because I want to interact with other Christians, but there is no sense of worship there for me.
Truthfully, if my husband didn't want me to go with him I would stay at home. It's extra sad because we live just a few blocks from my childhood church and it has turned into one of the drums-and-projector-screen churches. You can't go home again, as they say.

I have some favorites I haven't seen anyone else mention:
Come Thou Almighty King
All Creatures of Our God and King (that would be a good one for the nature hymnal)
Holy Holy Holy
And this one is not from the Methodists, but is an old folk religious song:
What Wondrous Love Is This

I'll have to look up more in my old hymnal at home. I remember the tunes more than the words.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure but I thought I could hear all of you singing the songs listed.
We are really blessed to have an old timey family church- lots of family with lots of kids.
Hold on though- no sunday school(we dont have enough people to make it worthwhile-besides we like having the little ones with us)
no instruments- (cause no one really wants to play- )except for an occasional member who plays his guitar when he feels led, no big screen and no loud speakersYAY!!!
Open pulpit- the guys speak if they have something to share- and 2 different type hymnals- both rescued from garage sales.

We sometimes tease one another about our great diverse backgrounds-
most of us have been to the "come as you are...etc" and just figured our age must not be able to endure the whole thing.
Not even a collection plate passed- just a basket by the front door- took a while for me to know it was there.
refreshing topic- thanks for sharing and KEEP ON SINGING!!!!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile
I love old gospel, and love to listen to it, but cannot think of many titles (blush)
I DO love many of the Christmas carols with a religious theme too.
Carol of the bells, The first Noel....Lots of older and medieval ones too.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  3:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I use to sing Old Rugged Cross with my grandmother. Our church also has the big screen with the worship songs up so newcomers may sing along but we always sing at least one song from the old hymnals. I love the old songs too!!!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  3:56:48 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone mentioned "What a friend we have in Jesus?" I always liked that one, too. Oh my, Christmas hymns are too plentiful to mention, but "What Child is This?" gives me CHILLS.

I can't wait to see the nature journal that was mentioned. How lovely to sing in the yard--what more glorious example of the heavens is our earth!!!

Janice--the screen thing--impersonal and almost hypnotic--like the church is creating robots and not caring, loving people. My mom still attends church there, has every Sunday since 1979 (she also works in the library) because she loves the minister, who is, incidentally retiring because he's now projected life size on 2 screens on each side of the church. I think being from the mountains of Tennesse, it's finally getting to him! Someone greeting at the doors last Sunday exclaimed to mom "You look new here, let me tell about our church!!!" when she walked through the door.

Seems like we've all got the kind of church we'd love to attend in our minds (and some of us are lucky enough to actually go to one!!!)...I guess it just goes without saying, doesn't it, that we would all want to attend a little white church with a steeple, and potlucks after church, and wooden pews with hymnals, because we all like our aprons, and our wooden spoons, and sewing and canning and cooking, and our own faith, however we practice it...we're all from a different era, ladies, and I LOVE it!

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Great is Thy Faithfulness
Beautiful Savior
And Can it Be
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  4:37:16 PM  Show Profile
Oops! Sorry! I think the last one was Amazing Love-How can it be? Always makes me cry!!!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Mima, And Can It Be, followed by (#204) Amazing Grace. My hymnal is upstairs and the brain isn't very sharp, but lets see. Anyone know "Nearer, Still Nearer"? It's one we just began singing about a year ago. There is a Balm in Gilead, More Love to Thee, and My Jesus I Love Thee. We all come from different backgrounds in our house church, with conservative Mennonite, Methodist, Baptist and Church of God as a few. But we do the covered dish suppers and give each other a lot of support. If we had a pulpit, it'd be alot like Autumn's church, with whoever feels led speaking. Whatever anyone wears is fine, too. The hymns, Jonni... great thread.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  6:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Can I add a few more?

Crown Him With Many Crowns (I can't believe I forgot about that one!)
Praise To The Lord, the Almighty
Christ the Lord Is Risen Today

There's another one that I've got in mind but I can't remember enough words to find it. If I could hum it for you, I'll bet someone would know it. But that doesn't work here does it?

Speaking of christmas songs, has anyone ever heard of the Coventry Carol? I have an instrumental version on a cd by Mitzi Collins (dulcimer and flute, mostly). It was one of my favorites in elementary school (yes, I'm a geek from way back). I've never heard anyone sing it, and I can't imagine how the printed words I've seen would go with the tune I know. It's the carol that goes: Lullay, lully, thou little tiny child. Supposedly, it's about Herod slaughtering the innocents. Very goth, for a christmas carol.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  7:07:28 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorites is"It Is Well With My Soul"

I cry every time- so comforting in the tumult of life!!!!
It is well with my soul!
Blessings to you all
Lovely singing! I can hear you- I know I can!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  7:34:35 PM  Show Profile
It is Well (with my soul)!!!! So wonderful! Good one--I always remember how our church sort of "split" the parts.."It is well..." It is well, "With my soul", with my soul...And yes, Ann, My Jesus I love thee..I remember singing that one alot before a baptism--always seemed like something little ones would sing, to me. Wow. I really needed this!

I just ran some errands, taking my time, and singing these songs that I remember, not always so well, but what a difference in my commute tonight!

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Nov 14 2007 7:37:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  1:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Okay ditto to the last three posts!!! I love those hymmns too!
Go to Top of Page

peggysue
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Peggy
Tulsa Oklahoma
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  4:12:55 PM  Show Profile
my favorites are :
Precious Jewel
He'll Do It Again
Amazing Grace
Serenaded by Angels
Boundless Love

Life is too short to be narrow minded.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  10:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Hands down, my favorite is Amazing Grace.

I also love I'll Fly Away.
Allison Krauss did a beautiful version for the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" a few years back.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  11:31:16 PM  Show Profile
It Is Well With My Soul -- just the best hymn! It makes me cry too. I did a post on my blog about that hymn. The story behind it is amazing.

How lucky you are to be in a church that still sings the old hymns!!!

When I was little - a long, long time ago - and I would spend the night at my granny's, she would lay in bed with me and teach me hymns. Her favorite was the Old Rugged Cross. I can never hear that without thinking of her.

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Flair Etsy Team http://farmgirlsonetsy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  05:41:08 AM  Show Profile
I love this thread - it has made me feel so good.

I always liked "What a Friend We have in Jesus". I am forgetting some of the words in one line but it goes something like this:

What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in Prayer....

Oh what joy we often forfeit
oh what needless pain we bear
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

The old hymns are my favorites,too. There are two books out right called "Then Sings My Soul" Volume I and II, which have collections of the old hymns along with a history of how each was written. The words of these wonderful songs, when read as poetry, are so reassuring and strengthening.

Does anyone remember The King of Love, My Shepherd Is?
And Nearer My God to Thee?

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 16 2007 06:02:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  05:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Jeannie! I love this song--I sang it to and from my destinations Wednesday night, doing my errands. Boy, if singing hymns isn't a cure for all the driving woes (i.e, rude folks, speeding, whatever)...

And yes, Amazing Grace--I didn't even put that down, because it's almost like a "given" you know? My mother said that was her mother's favorite (my gran) but I remember most, my Great Gran singing. When she was ill and couldn't go to church any longer, the minister would come and sit in her little living room, of her little shotgun house (that was already 60 years old when they bought it in 1918), and they would have communion, and sing a few hymns with the pastor. Oh, how I loved to hear her little voice sing!!!

I'll Fly away is a gorgeous one, too. We didn't sing that one in church--don't know if it was too "mountain" or what, but I do recall Allison Kraus's version, and whenever I hear the song, I just get transported to a riverside baptism. So wonderful!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Old Hymns...Mikki's post has me thinking Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page