PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  7:55:11 PM  Show Profile
My mil's family is big into holidays and I have been chosen to bring a relish tray to Thanksgiving. I guess that means I am growing up, since usually we only have to bring pop or chips. Not quite grown up enough to actually have to cook something or whatever. Anyway, I want to do something better than the usual celery, carrots, radishes, and olives that everyone does and people only eat out of politeness. Any farmgirls have some good ideas to wow the inlaws?

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  05:51:16 AM  Show Profile
When I "graduated" to bringing a food item, I brought vegetable pizza.

Roll out crescent rolls on a pizza stone (a regular cookie sheet will do). Bake until golden. Then spread a vegetable dip over the whole pan. Sprinkle diced veggies and grated cheese over the whole thing.

It's yummy!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  12:03:35 PM  Show Profile
When we go to Pleasant Hill, I eat the HECK out of their relish tray, and it's pretty southern, and REALLY wonderful. I think they're sort of supposed to be traditional, but you can jazz it up by varying the pickles and the veges--you can curry veges, and pick spicy pickles (Tony Socko's brands come to mind).

What I can remember that's in there...
pickled baby corn
pickled hot peppers (they're very round--almost ball like)
olives of course (there are Olive bars now in a lot of groceries, where you can get garlic stuffed olives, or anything you want.
green onions (make sure there's a salt bowl for dipping)
pickled cauliflower (and I know you can make curried cauliflower, too!)
carrots
celery (which I can do without)

Maybe just go down your condiment aisle and see what's available...there is such variety out there now, it doesn't have to be just a normal relish tray.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  1:32:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey, all, I'm not SourJane, I'm Jonni (Kygurlsrbest) but for SOME really freakish reason, when I posted this, I became Sourjane, whoever that is.

I am the one who posted the Pleasant Hill relish tray thing...

REALLY WEIRD.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  3:35:14 PM  Show Profile
You could roast your own peppers, peel them and tear them into strips, and sprinkle them with garlic and extra virgin olive oil. If you want to go further, you can add a few nice kalamata olives, halved cherry tomatoes, etc.
Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  10:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Do a relish tray with the usual veggies, then try a dip tray. Yummy crackers, cut up pita bread, pretzels, and two or three dips to go with both trays. Dice up half an white onion, one can of baby shrimp, drained. One package of cream cheese, worstershire (sp), garlic salt. Add all of these ingredients to a medium bowl and blend with your hand mixer-keep cold and it is a yummy dip for veggies or chips! Here's a hint. Save out 3 or 5 baby shrimp to put on the top of that dip in case anyone is allergic to shell fish!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Thanksgiving relish tray Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page