Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Nevada County Fair, Grass Valley, CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Nevada County Fair, Grass Valley, CA Next Topic  

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:09:21 PM  Show Profile
I don't see any other posts about this so will mention it for anyone within a few hours drive of Grass Valley, CA. The Nevada County Fair is this week, Aug. 10-14 at the Nevada County Fairgrounds, surely one of the most beautiful fairgrounds in the US, located in a lovely pine forest.
It's a wonderful fair. Among my favorites is the sheepdog demonstration Fri. and Sat. and draft horse demos every day except Sunday. The quilts and spinning and weaving are always excellent. So is the food. <G>
(The Draft Horse Classic and Harvest Fair will be at the Fairgrounds, Sept. 15-18. Sat. night 9/17 will soon be sold out.)
http://www.nevadacountyfair.com/HTMLS/aafair.html
http://www.nevadacountyfair.com/HTMLS/aadraft.html
-Marylouise

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  5:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mlouise! I was happy to see a post re: Grass valley. I grew up in Marysville and really miss the foothills!! I never took in the fair but have traveled many times to Placerville, Folsom and yes even Timbuctoo(sp?)!!! Thanks for the trip backhome. Luzy
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  07:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Grass Valley holds a special place in my heart (and husband's), as he has many ancestors who lived and died there (last name Nankervis). I always wanted to make it to the Cornish Christmas festival, but living too far away makes it so hard. Thanks for sharing, Marylouise, I will definitely check out those links!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  09:32:54 AM  Show Profile
I have been to Grass Valley years ago and loved it there...always thought it would be a great place for a homestead...
I hope all of you gals that can get there have fun..it sure sounds great!!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:59:51 PM  Show Profile
Marylouise is right about the Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley, Calif. being one of the most beautiful fairgrounds in the land. It is lovely. I lived in Grass Valley and the surrounding areas for 20 some years before moving to Idaho. I graduated from high school there. I do miss the fair there. It is very much looked forward to by the residents. Back in the day you could get 10 tickets for rides for $1.00. Not that way anywhere, any more.
But if you are in the area and can go to the Nevada County Fair...it is a must see. One thing I loved about Grass Valley was the Cornish pasties. Yum. Yum. I guess they still sell them at the fair, although since moving away from the area I am not sure.

Speaking of fairs I have a stuffed Smokey the Bear that was given out at the Chico, Calif. fair in the year 1954. My parents saved it for me and it is still in great condition. My grandparents got one of the bears at the same time. It however, was played with by many grandchildren over the years and it shows it's age. My cousin proudly rescued it when it was in a throw away pile after grandparents had died. I was not there so I am glad she grabbed it up and treasures it.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

TwoWildflowers
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Kathleen
Penn Valley Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  9:15:00 PM  Show Profile
How much fun to read about our County Fair on this site! I work on the main buisness street in Grass Valley, Mill Street. I drive past the fair grounds daily. Not only do we have the most wonderful county/country fair nestled among very old beautiful evergreen trees, we have a fair grounds that sports many events. It host wonderful holiday events all year long. You crafters would love visiting on Thanksgiving weekend when the fair ground comes alive with holiday splender and vendors galore!

Cornish Christmas is every Friday night after Thanksgiving until the Friday night before Christmas with all the music, gifts and sweet smells of Christmas. Right now we are having summer Friday night market with vendors from all over the area...fresh produce, large bunches of flowers, hand crafted items, local music, old cars and lots of people meeting old friends and visiting. It has been a wonderful place to call home! I love nothing more than to see people strolling down the street, I can always spot a visitor, and when possible I step out to greet them, tell them a little history and usually direct them to a wonderful place to eat. http://www.downtowngrassvalley.com/pages/events.html

If any of you remember the Dynasty series on TV, you will find this a little interesting. Empire Mine is in Grass Valley (now a beautiful state park), but it was the money making business/summer home for the people who's home was used for the Dynasty series! A must see if you are ever driving from Reno to California via Hwy 80. http://www.empiremine.org/

Cornish pasties...the soul and comfort food of miners from Cornwall England. They are like a savory meat/vegetable pot pie, but folded over (half moon),sealed and baked. They were easy hearty meals for the miners to take in their lunch buckets. King Richards Pasties are still made and sold from their little shop on Mill Street. Cousin Jack's now also sells them in a sit down establishment.

You are always welcomed!
Kathleen

PS Grass Valley is used from time to time for movies and tv ads, I bet you have all seen our town at one time or another!

Friends are my flowers in the garden of life
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  9:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathleen for giving more of a glimpse into the Cornish Christmas...oh how I long to go someday!! I so treasure my husband's ancestry, they come from St. Just in Penwith (Cornwall)and have such a rich history. I love pasties! I made them for Thanksgiving one year and didn't turn out too badly, if I should say so myself

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

TwoWildflowers
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Kathleen
Penn Valley Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  10:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Molly--
I just looked up your family name and found 5 in Grass Valley, I will keep my eye/ear out for that name!

Kathleen

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  2:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen, I'm not surprised that there are still a lot of them in that area. If Willard and Alma are still alive, he is my hubby's great-grandfather's nephew (does that make sense?) LOL. I would actually love to retire there someday (it's a toss-up between there, Wisconsin where we are, and Northern VA) !

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Edited by - mollymae on Aug 19 2005 2:53:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

TwoWildflowers
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Kathleen
Penn Valley Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  11:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Molly--
They must be still alive, they are listed! I figured they might be elderly by their first names! The other 5 I believe were somewhere in their 40s.

It is a big world, yet so small!
Kathleen

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  11:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen, how fun, we've never met them, we just know about them. My hubby's great-grandfather (Willard's uncle) died (in that area)when he was 31 years old saving a young boy from drowning, and we named our youngest son's middle names after him .

Very small world!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  7:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathleen-
This is my first time back on the list since the fair. It was *wonderful* as always, including pasties for lunch both days! And Lazy Dog ice creams ;-)

In addition to the great events you've mentioned, the Fairgrounds hosts the Celtic Festival, and World Music Festival and California Father's Day Weekend Bluegrass Festival, and so many other great events!

Where do you work? I'll come by and see you some time.

My great grandparents' home was where the Center for the Arts is now. And there's a street named for the family off South Auburn, the old "highway" in to town.

Something else you have there, if you don't mind the physical location being "next door" in Nevada City, is one of THE best community radio stations around. I listen to KVMR on my computer frequently, especially Sunday mornings when there's a great Hawaiian music program. http://www.kvmr.org/

And Pamela, Smokey the Bear was there. My daughter wanted to go over to the Dept. of Forestry site and see him, remembering him from previous years. Got her picture taken with him, LOL. Don't ask her age...

-Marylouise

[quote]Originally posted by TwoWildflowers

How much fun to read about our County Fair on this site! I work on the main buisness street in Grass Valley, Mill Street. splender and vendors galore!

Cornish pasties...the soul and comfort food of miners from Cornwall England. They are like a savory meat/vegetable pot pie, but folded over (half moon),sealed and baked. They were easy hearty meals for the miners to take in their lunch buckets. King Richards Pasties are still made and sold from their little shop on Mill Street. Cousin Jack's now also sells them in a sit down establishment.

Go to Top of Page

TwoWildflowers
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Kathleen
Penn Valley Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Shaffers Originals (www.shaffersoriginals.com) I am there most Tuesdays and Thursdays. Stop on in.

Kathleen

Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  09:47:34 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen,
I had forgotten the name of the establishment who made and sold the Cornish pasties. We used to stop by and get them to take home and eat. I was glad when they started making vegetarian ones, as that is my eating preference. When my kids were little I got a recipe and made them from scratch myself. I am sure they were not as good as King Richard's, but they worked for us.

As for Cornish Christmas..my oh my...do I have wonderful memories of those Friday nights selling hot cocoa on Mill Street to the shoppers. Our church youth group sold the cocoa as a fund raiser. They would close off the street for pedestrians only. There were strolling singers, and if I remember right they were dressed in Cornish (Victorian) clothing. The local high school choral groups sang as well. They would gather on the steps of The Union newspaper and sing carols for the shoppers. Of course if there was snow falling it made it even more lovely. This in the late 1960's and into the 1970's. It sounds like things have gotten even better as far as Grass Valley hosting events. It is s lovely community and I miss it from time to time.

You also mentioned the area being used as a place for movies sets. I was once in a movie that was filmed there along with a couple 100 others. I do not remember the name of the movie, but it had John Saxon in it. I thought he was so good looking. I never got to meet him however, as I was only one person in a crowd during the filming. I think the filming took place in an old school, possibly in Nevada City, sister city to Grass Valley.

One more thing...my first husbands family lived in one of the houses on the Empire Mine grounds when he was a kid. His dad worked in the mines (as did other relatives) and his mom was a book keeper for the mines. This would have probably been in the 1960's. The grounds are beautiful. Although, I have not actually seen them in at least 15 years. I think I went to a wedding there the last time I was there.

I often wish the town I live in now had the setting for a Cornish Christmas type of event. The old buildings and homes make it very quaint there for such happenings.

I had my photograph done in 1974 at a studio on Mill Street. Not sure what the name of it was...might have been Mill Street Photography.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  12:26:15 PM  Show Profile
If there were a way to post pictures I'd post the wonderful card that local artist Loana Beeson made some years ago of carolers at Cornish Christmas. I see there's a copy of her Victornia Christmas (Nevada City) on her site, and The Union shows her 2004 poster for it.
http://www.loanabeeson.com/13.html
http://www.theunion.com/article/20041209/VICTORIAN/41208026
She did the poster for the Summer Nights this year. She captures something very charming in her work.
http://www.nevadacitychamber.com/events_summer.htm
-Marylouise
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Nevada County Fair, Grass Valley, CA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page