Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  7:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Before the Holidays please check the following to make sure we have a safe and happy holiday season:

Check your tire's tread. If you turn a penny upside down and can see the top of Honest Abe's head- it is time for new tires- Honestly.

Check your tire's air pressure.

Make sure you have a survival kit in your car and a good blanket just in case. Blankets can come in handy for more things than just keeping you warm! I once used a towel to provide traction to get my van un-stuck from a snow bank in the middle of the night in the mountains!

Check your fire alarm batteries! If you fire alarm continually beeps, have it checked or buy a new one.

Check your fire extinquishers. Make sure it is still active and charged. If you aren't sure. Take it to your local fire department. They will check it for free.

Check you chimney and have it cleaned before you light that fire.

Make sure your family knows the route for escape in case of fire.

Any other ideas ladies?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  07:23:58 AM  Show Profile
This is good! I always check my fire and carbon monoxide alarms when the time changes. Last weekend I checked the fire and found that it didn't even have batteries! About a month or two ago we had some plumbing work done. When the guy was sweating the pipes the alarm kept going off so the guy asked if he could take the batteries out. Well we had to leave and when I came back the batteries were no longer on the table so I assumed he had put them back! Guess not! Kinda scared!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  08:22:30 AM  Show Profile
First off I bow to the wise ladies before me. Very good topic.
" an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" =)
~ Make sure you have enough high energy food to last at least 24 hours and especially moisture...you can go with out food, but you need liquids...so even if juice packs or what ever freeze, you can thaw them out pretty quick holding them. (been there)Children need a lot of fluids as do the elderly...make sure you have a blanket per traveler plus one.
~ If you live in an area of cold weather, make sure that you have your heat tape up to date and plugged in
~ Have your furnace serviced and make sure that you have a new filter BEFORE the cold weather...boy are the service guys ever busy when you need them.
~ candles, extra batteries, camp lanterns are all a good idea.
~ We frequently get drifted in and if you are in a remote area, having enough food, light, water and commonly needed medicines is good...nothing like needing it and having to slog through deep snow to even get out to get help
~ if you have your own snow plow or tractor/truck attachment, make sure that it is is in good shape, not rusted or busted :P
~Make sure that any outside animals/pets have adequate food and thawed water and shelter from bad or extreme weather.

My personal request is that if you have a party or dinner with alcohol, that you make sure that everyone gets home safe...I don't want to preach, but I've lost family and friends to drunk driving...

Be prepared, have fun and enjoy your family

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  09:22:31 AM  Show Profile
another one is ifyou use propane, make sure your tank is full! If you are using it often be sure to check it so you don't have to call for an emergency refill!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  4:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great Additions Ladies! I didn't even think about the propane or the heat tape!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  03:33:19 AM  Show Profile
Great information....most of it I have done already...the reminder is well appreciated. Thxs, Erica:)
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Before the holidays Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page