Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 MERCI BEAUCOUP KATIE-ELL!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic MERCI BEAUCOUP KATIE-ELL!!!!! Next Topic  

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  1:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour, mon amie! Tu est tres, mais non, TROP gentille pour les mots! J'ai recu....ah heck, I can't get excited as easily in French as I can in English... My very nice postman left a box on the porch today that contained a sweet little note (tres bien) and that adorable little dreamy pale blue sugar bowl made in France! Certainly brightened up my day....don't even notice those grey skies outside now! You are such a sweet gal, and lucky for me you have incredible taste, ha! Heartfelt happy hugs! Nance

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  5:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Glad you liked the dreamy pale blue sugar bowl!! I just had to get it when I saw it, even though nothing is blue in my kitchen. And I often thought to myself that 'Nance in France' would like it . . . oui, she does!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  5:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey, gal pal, err, excusez-moi! BONJOUR! I just took a peek at your blog and saw the wonderful old orange books; what a rare thing (it is rare nowadays, isn't it?) to have been in such an intimate little school??.... What great memories you must have. And I don't get to thrift often but I will be on the lookout for orange books for you.

I thought of you last week, remembering your beautiful old sewing machine....I was driving my mom home and it was the day before trash pickup (ah, deep breath!). I saw an old suitcase on the edge of the lawn, a neat old one with the leather trim. Well, I hit the brakes and hopped out. Imagine the cartoon where the poor slob goes to pick up something he thought was empty and nearly loses his footing when it won't budge like he thought! Turns out it had an old Montgomery Ward sewing machine inside! Not a 'looker' like yours is, and I don't even know yet if it works, but you were the first thought that popped into my head. Anyway, thank you again from the bottom of my heart; you made my day. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  8:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for looking at my blog, Nancy. I'll be writing more about Beeline School someday. Many many memories there.

Love the image of you pulling on that heavy 'suitcase'! 'Twill be fun for you to find out if it works. If it does, you must name it!

Hugs to you, too--

KL

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  1:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Yep, what I thought was going to be merely 'tossing a suitcase in the trunk' turned out to be bench pressing 150 pounds or so it seemed! I will be looking forward to hearing more about your school! Happy Sunday to all! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  11:42:14 PM  Show Profile
H0w very very funny Nance, I can imagine what a sh0ck it was f0r y0u t0 pick up that suitcase, even better will be if the sewing machine w0rks, n0w h0w c00l w0uld that be!!!!!!!
N0w I have t0 g0 check 0ut Katie's bl0g.

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2007 :  3:06:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nancy --

I need you to do some translating for me, English to French. I have this idea of making little tags for the bags I'm making as gifts -- I'd like to make a tag that says 'Sewed by Ginette' or 'Sewn by Ginette' or something (Ginette being my sewing machine!). What would that be in French? 'Cousit de Ginette'?

Thanks, pal! Merci beaucoup!

katie

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  08:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Bonjour, mon amie! Ok I will try to give you a 'perfect' translation but if Corinne reads this and finds an error or can give a BETTER 'true' translation, I defer to her absolute French-ness.

My dictionary shows cousu as the verb for sewn (past tense) so that would translate "cousue par Ginette". I added the e to the end of cousu because Ginette/sewing machine is feminine. If you make something by hand it would be 'fait par main'. (My apologies to Ginette, who is called 'machine a coudre'). Sewing basket is 'boite a couture'...with the a having an accent grave over it.

You could even get jazzy with your tag and write "C'est dans la poche" which is the French expression for 'it's all sewn up!'. Hope this helps, gal pal!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Lovely! Thanks bunches.

I'm finishing up a tote for my sister -- not really a Christmas gift. Just because, I guess. One of the fabrics has French words and chefs and snowmen and Eiffel Tower on it. So cute! The Ginette tag will debut with this bag. Will post a pic on the blog when I finish.

Meanwhile, back to my day job. . . .

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  4:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Cool! Looking forward to seeing the chic tags! Hugs, Nance