Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic eating dirt Next Topic  

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  11:57:52 AM  Show Profile
my pretty little girl won't stop eating dirt! I get her all cleaned up, or not sometimes, and she has drolled dirt all over her self! I think she is teething but really, dirt. does anyone have a trick up their sleeve for this one? Is she lacking something in her diet maybe? she just turned 2 and I would really like to stop this with the muddy season coming! (my husband works in construction and is always dragging durt in)

xoxo s.r.

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Shawna. I wish I had a tip but all I can think of is the old saying,

"God made dirt and dirt don't hurt". :)

I'll ask around and if I find anything that's actually, you know...helpful I'll pass it along!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Shawna, here's what the CDC has to say. Scroll down until you get to "Innate Tendency".

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no8/03-0033.htm

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  9:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, that is a great link! It definitely helps a person understand why people eat dirt. My son ate dirt a little bit when he was younger, but stopped before he turned 2. He even ate a worm once. He tried to eat a caterpillar, but he didn't like the fuzz. :)
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  06:16:10 AM  Show Profile
yes the link is loaded wiyh info. so its normal and as long as she stops before she gets worms, or chokes on a dirt covered rock---all will be fine!!so much to look forward to--love being a mother:)!

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  08:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Could be a vitamin or mineral deficiancy. I think iron is the one associated with eating dirt but I am not sure. HAve her checked by a physician.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  08:29:22 AM  Show Profile
There is a condition called Pica that is eating of dirt and other odd things. I would talk to the doctor.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2007 :  5:30:45 PM  Show Profile
My uncle and I were talking about this subject the other day. It used to be as farmers, we ate a lot of dirt. We would pick something out of the garden and eat it fresh. We would wash our hands but water had to be drawn from a well and hands that farm are never dirt free. The earth does have nutrients or our plants wouldn't grow. Maybe that is when the saying started "Growing like a weed."

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
http://beloved-creations-storytelling.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

skinneja
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jocele
Caldwel ID
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:29:43 PM  Show Profile
When I was little, I ate dirt. Somehow I knew there were minerals in dirt, and that I needed minerals. So...4 year old logic dictates that I would eat dirt. Makes sense, right? I think I turned out okay.
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  10:41:27 PM  Show Profile
well the doc. would think i was crazy, and we really only go if someone is sick,like not getting better sick, i might call but he is just going to tell me she shouldn't do that she might choke. Pica- i need to know more about this? what is that? anyway i think she is doing it now just to bother me. we have more coming in from the rain last wk. (i think it was last wk!) anyway she came to me today and says " i eat dirt". very much to the point. she didn't need to tell me though, i could see it dripping down her shirt. (this part really gets me) she also ate a crayon today, thankful the are nontoxic these days (at least that is what they say, who knows.) heck i'm having more trouble keeping dirt and crayons out of her then HFCS!!!

xoxxo MERRY CHRISTMAS xoxxo
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  06:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Pica is a medical condition where people are missing certain things and eat odd things like dirt, chalk, etc. She may have that as well as just being an oral child. If she is doing it though just to push your buttons then you can throw in an obedience issue as well! Such fun!

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  07:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
If helps, Shawna, my three ate dirt and crayons, especially my youngest. They all stopped before they we're four. (Ok, my four year old will still very occasionally eat dirt.) It didn't seem to harm them at all. I would speak to the doctor if it concerns you.

I would handle it by saying "You're eating dirt, kiddo. Are you hungry?" If they said yes, I would suggest we get something yummier like some fruit. If no, I simply said. "We don't need to eat when we're not hungry. Let's go play!" For us, this calm, reasoning way kept the stress out of it. And kept it from being a power struggle. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic eating dirt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page