Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic columbine seeds Next Topic  

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  12:22:56 PM  Show Profile
While I was in Scituate, Mass a couple of weeks ago, I gathered Columbine seeds to bring home. I have never grown these flowers and I don't know where to put them, how to fertilize, and so on. Do any of you ladies know this and can share with me?

Laughing at yourself keeps a smile on you face.

PlumJoy

Onionhead
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Columbine loves them shady spots in the garden and if you sprinkle them seeds now, you'd be surprised at all the little seedlings popping up come spring-time....I have them all over the place in my little woodland area and just love them.......they deffinately need a moist spot, they can handle the sun in moderation, but not full sun....Good luck and let us know what sprouts up this coming spring!
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  1:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
I have columbine...it grows wherever I scatter it~~ I have it on the southside of my house and on the north west side of my shed. It grows prolifically (is that spelled right???) in both places. I do not fertilize too much (once or twice in the spring with pellets) and everything is very happy.

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  10:25:30 AM  Show Profile
I thank you so much for the information about where to put the columbine seeds. I expect to see great results in the spring. I love to grow new things and I will enjoy the color. I am always trying to find things to plant in the shade or partial shade and it sounds like this is one of my answers.

PlumJoy
California
Go to Top of Page

Onionhead
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
22 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Well you are very welcome! Now you probably won't see any blooms until 2009, but hey you just might get lucky and see some this coming year! Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  05:41:17 AM  Show Profile
My MIL has been growing columbines for years, and she dug some up for me this past spring. I planted them on the west side of my house, and they've done great. They are quite hardy, so if you want to ever dig them up to divide them or move them you should have no problems. Give them lots of room, because they will get as big as you let them. You'll really love them...they can grow in so many different color combinations. Good luck!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic columbine seeds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page