Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Green Wash of Produce??? I won't rant :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Green Wash of Produce??? I won't rant :) Next Topic  

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Ok so does anybody know what this new great thing is supposed to be where produce we buy is going to be "green washed"?
I only caught the tail end of it yesterday on the news. Why am I skeptical already?

Oh...and there's another massive ground beef recall this am on CNN (doom and gloom site). Add that to the frozen pizza recall last week as well.

I think what REALLY bugs me is that I raise organic produce and meat birds and am governed by extremely strict regulations, more so than giant agribiz. Funny thing is, I've never made anybody sick.

Did I say I wouldn't rant? Ok, I'll stop here!
Di

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Nov 03 2007 11:42:34 AM

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile
WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!!!! LOL!
I'll just going to be buying local and raising my own from now on I think
I don't have TV, so I'm VEEEEEERY interested in this "Green Wash" too

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  2:02:50 PM  Show Profile
we use ACV to wash even our organic produce.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  09:47:10 AM  Show Profile
It is getting really scary about all the re-calls
Mom said she wouldn't be surprised if someone was doing it
on purpose to poision us all
Oh well, guess I have to go sometimes. Ha
I always pray that the Good Lord will protect and watch over us. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  10:07:31 AM  Show Profile
You know what I like? None of the local farmers I buy from has ever had to "recall" anything they've grown and sold to me. If you know the farmer's first name, and can see the exact spot in the ground where your food comes from, you'll do alright. All of these recalls are frightening for sure, and I feel bad for the consumers that rely on that type of poor-quality, contaminated food. But I think all of these recalls should be a lesson to us all-- we need to be involved in where our food comes from. We don't send our families off to some random doctor when we're sick, or some random teacher for our educations-- why in the world would we not put the same thought and effort into choosing the person that grows our food? Food for thought. :-)

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Cassidy
Victoria
Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  10:06:06 PM  Show Profile
HI MOM!!! Yeah working at Costco and seeing all the recalls on stuff is scary. I think I'll just keep eating the organic stuff out of your garden and I will be A O K!!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  10:20:46 PM  Show Profile
You know Sheila I don't think your Mom is too far off the mark. Let's face it, the "organic movement" (for lack of a better term) has quickly become a multi-billion dollar, worldwide business. It HAS to be hurting the major food manufacturers who, for so many years, have had a monopoly on the processed food markets.

Oh...hi honey!! And just to clarify, the product recalls are not Costco's own products, right? :) And I now have a couple hundred witnesses that have seen you put in writing that you eat from the garden...does that include parsnips?? haha

Di
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Cassidy
Victoria
Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  10:31:29 PM  Show Profile
No no not Costco's products. Just if the manufacture has a recall. Because I work in refunds I see it all. EEEW I hate parsnips YUCK =P
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile
And people wonder why the self-sustainability and organic movement is gaining such momentum. Being able to control what goes into your food and subsequently your body is a beautiful thing.

We have always raised freezer lambs, chickens for eggs and now that I've finished my first batch of meat chickens I don't think I'll be buying anymore at the market. I'd like to raise a pig, but we don't like all the cuts.

My challenge with eating locally or within a 100 miles is the limited variety. Our county is big into Ag, but primarily citrus, avocados, flowers, strawberries and some row crops like peppers and celery. Since we are close to the coast 1/2 my 100 mile radius is in the Pacific Ocean and not all the fish are edible close to the coast. A big chunk of the radius is national forest or cities/urban sprawl.

But, we will continue to try.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  1:33:55 PM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you. I visit our local farmers market here and in another city very close to me.

What is ACV ? If I know the product, I have forgotten

Thanks

Linda H
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Linda,

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar

Ivy
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  4:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I was made sick a few years ago from packaged salad. I never buy those no matter how tired and lazy I feel.

Thankfully I can now grow lots and can what can't be eaten right away.

And here's something else very interesting!

Hubby and I buy our meat from a friend/local farmer. We go in 4 ways to split a cow. This meat is super tasty and relly lean. We go through too much groud beef I'm embarrased to say. So now it's November, and we won't place another order 'till the spring. SO, in a fit of desperation, I have thus far bucked up and bought 2 packages of ground beef. One from Wal MArt was ground sirloin (95/10) and pretty ok. The other was purchased from Lowes Foods who tout themselves as being 200% fresh and lean and bla bla bla. This meat was just listed as ground beef at 95/10 too. We both noticed a funky taste in our spahgetti the other night. The meat was fresh (I guess) but the taste was just weird for lack of a better word. If this mess keeps up I'll go vegitarian before I eat more of this garbage!

Good news is, the place that butchers our meat does sell other meat all the time from other local farmers. Thank goodness we are surrounded by and still very much rural. So in a pinch I can go there and buy say....10 pounds to get us through the winter.

Oh! And mom found their old meat grinder when they moved a few weeks ago, so I'll dust this beauty off and grind some steaks and such.

Anything but conventional store bought meat Al least from Lowes anyway

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Green Wash of Produce??? I won't rant :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page