Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  11:39:40 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple of Holly Bushes, can I bring the Branches in the house and will they keep? Thought it would look pretty to put some in a vase.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  4:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Martha Stewart had a recipe years ago in one of her magazines for glycerin/water soak method to preserve branches to keep the leaves intact. I don't have access to my magazines right now...perhaps if you visit her web-site and do a search, the info will be posted???

I think it was 2-3 bottles of glycerine to a gallon of water (?) and then put the cut ends in the water to soak...I don't recall exactly how long...long time it seems to me.

Hope you find the answer Nancy

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Nancy Jo,
I found the info on the website, but it won't let me copy it. Do you want me to use the email feature from the MS site and send it to you??? Let me know...
Chandra

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  4:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes you can do that Chandra. I was just hoping to bring them in and put them in water, guess not huh?
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  6:41:05 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Don't know for sure...you can always give it a try. There's time to do the other method as an alternative if the water isn't enough. I'll email the info, you'll have it if you need it.
Chandra

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  05:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Chandra,
The e'mail came, Thank you so much for doing that for me. They are so pretty I would like to bring some in.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  05:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
You're welcome Nancy Jo...maybe you'll post a picture of your branch vignette (sp?)
Chandra

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  06:49:16 AM  Show Profile
I always put some in water. They last a few weeks without shreading their leaves or loosing their colors.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic HOLLY BRANCHES?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page