Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Just call me "Ms. In Charge"!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just call me "Ms. In Charge"!!!!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Grr. Our car is in the shop--they towed it yesterday--they passed dh and I while we waited for the bus at 8:00 am. The garage still doesn't have it done, and I've been getting the "you're a woman" treatment from the mechanic, so I asked my husband to call to a) verify the cost so there are no surprises, and fax the written estimate and b)speed it up. He SO gallantly declined because he's "at work", and "why can't YOU take care of it?". What am I doing, picking my teeth????? Anyway, as much I have been entertained these last two days of walking the 1.5 mile up my street to the bus stop (and down in the dark when I get home), and by the curious folks ON the bus, I'd like to have our car back.
So, I had my friend here at the office, who knows about cars and has a booming man voice, call and say he was "Mr. Lynch". Guess what? The car will be done at 12:00 like I had all but begged, and he faxed a written estimate that was refused yesterday.

And I did it myyyyyyy waaaayyyyyy!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Where there's a will, there's a way!
Sorry you had to resort to using a friend, but it sounds like at least you won't be walking home in the dark tonight!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
You go girl!!!!!!!

I actually had an oil change guy ask me if I wanted winter air in my tires for only 3.00 a tire. I couldn't stop laughing and he walked away. Now I pay attention to any repairs on my vehicles. This summer I learned how to put in a serpentine belt myself.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Oct 30 2007 08:00:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  08:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Jonni. And you, too, Beth. I hate having to use my dh or any other man to 'front' for me, but sometimes, it's the only thing that works. :( It's a pet peeve of mine.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  09:19:29 AM  Show Profile
I've learned the hard way to always send my husband. Lucky for me, he knows a lot about cars and prefers to do it anyway. I guess if I was single, I'd still be asking my dad to talk to them for me. I'm not pleased with the situation, but that's just the way most mechanics are.

I help my husband do repairs on our older cars, but I wouldn't want to be solely responsible. I've seen too much go wrong.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  10:38:06 AM  Show Profile
Beth, I'm glad you laughed. I probably wouldn't have been so nice!!! Winter air-bah!

I just knew I was getting the run around, you know? And while I don't really like having to resort to manly assistance, some times, that's the only thing that makes OTHER men respond. My husband knows nothing about cars, and thankfully he's not a chauvinist in that he has to take care of all that "manly" stuff, but boy howdy, do I get sick of taking care of all of it!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Good for you girl! I learned how to do alot of repairs from my dad and my hubby. I can pull out and put in a motor, tranny, and do a tune up. Oh, I can also change oil, install a car alarm, and stereo....... Anyway. I paid attention because I got tired of the "your a woman" crap. So now I know just as much as some of them mechanics do!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  10:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You go, Tammy! That's impressive, girl!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  11:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Alright, Tammy. You come live with Janice and I in Kentucky--you wouldn't happen to know anything about plumbing, now, would ya?

I sure wish I still had that tanktop from when I was about 5 that said, "Anything Boys Can Do Girls Can Do Better!" I seem to forget that!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  11:10:33 AM  Show Profile
It makes me sad. I am happy you got done what you needed, but sad that it took a booming mans voice to do it.

Rob is a mechanic and would never for a second talk down to a woman and assume she doesn't know anything. mechanics like the ones you dealt with make him so very angry.

I wish that a woman's strong assertive voice would work just as well, but unfortunately there are still men in the world who think women are stupid.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile
Tammy, way to go! My dad knows a lot about cars, but I declined (grrrr) to take him up on his offer years ago to teach me. Jonni, I love "boy howdy" and the fact that you use that (yes... I know I'm off topic) phrase. Cheers for Rob and other men who don't talk down to women.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
There sure are, Tasha. And in my experience, there are a ton of them right here in the college where I work. You'd think guys with degrees behind their names would know better. But that attitude can be found anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Tasha's right--it's sad. But sooo very common, still. I appreciate the fact that Rob is a better kind of man (wouldn't expect you to find anyone else, Tasha!), and the world needs more like him.

Janice--even in the world of higher education, huh? You'd think that's at least ONE field where women and men could stand on equal ground.

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  05:05:28 AM  Show Profile
I have had similar issues over the years . . . talking to me like my brain is made of mush simply because I am a woman. Drives me insane! I once took my car in for new tires and had the guy swear to me I needed new brakes. I angrily presented him with the paperwork for new brakes I had just installed three weeks ago. He was basically trying to scam me. I watched a show on 48 hours or one of those documentary type shows a couple years ago where they went in undercover to 5 different mechanics with a car that was 100% problem free. 4 out of 5 tried to scam them. One was even caught on video cutting wires!! I usually have Ron deal with car issues, but it is irritating that simply because he has an extra part between his legs he is treated differently! We had noticed the same thing when dealing with the construction company who is redoing our home after the flood. They kept putting me off. Finally, when I made it clear I was not signing over the insurance check until everything on MY list was completed, they have been working hard.

Jonni, hope you got your car back when they said and that you are now "bus free."

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just call me "Ms. In Charge"!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page