Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Pure honey instead of soap for your face!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pure honey instead of soap for your face! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  06:31:53 AM  Show Profile
A friend of ours, who is an herbalist in California, visited with us this weekend. We talked about a variety of things herb related, but what I wanted to know most, was what she used for her face soap (I've been having some breakouts, but also dryness-stupid weather!). Though she's 54, her skin looks like a 30 year old. She said she washes with straight honey. Does anyone else do this?

So, I've been washing my face at night since Saturday with honey, and in the morning, using my regular face wash. I know it's a bit early to make a comparison, but my skin feels SOOOO soft, and the tone is even (I'm prone to "rosy" cheeks when I don't want them), and the overall texture is just like a rose petal--rare for me, lemme tell you! I guess because honey is naturally antibacterial, it must really help. Anyway, thought I'd share my (personal) early findings in case anyone is interested in trying it out.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile
honey is one of my favvvvorite body products - seriously! Try a bit of honey (maybe 1/4 cup?) in your next bath. Makes your skin feel like silk!!

Honey is naturally antibacterial, but it's also a humectant, meaning it draws moisture. So i find it kinda "plumps" and moisturizes skin...without adding oils topically.

My skin is a teensy bit oily, so I make a paste of green clay, ground organic oatmeal and ground herbs, and combine that with honey to use for my facewash or facemask. that's fun too, if youlike a bit of exfoliant sometimes!

isn't it fun how all this simple stuff is so good for your skin and body??? :)
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  06:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Jonni - Do you dilute it with anything or just pour the honey on a wash cloth? I still have an occasional breakout(there's no justice, even for an old lady). And I used to have that redness, too. My face would turn beet red and I would always have a redness in my face. Looking back on it, I chalked it up to my German heritage(lots of red faced people down the line). Lots of high blood pressure, too. But about 15 years ago, when I stopped eating red meat/poultry, the redness just vanished and I haven't had the problem since then. And as long as I stay away from too much caffeine, my blood pressure is just fine, as well. I didn't think about any of that when I stopped eating meat, but I'm okay with the unplanned results! :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Janice--I don't dilute it--and oddly enough, it's much easier to work with (and spread) than I anticipated...I thought it would make like a difficult coating to get off, but it rinses clean. I just used my palms and fingertips, because washrags hurt!

I chalk mine up to Irish heritage, Janice--we've got some German, but mostly Irish and native american. I usually get more "ruddy" in the winter--almost like my cheeks are chapped. It's weird. Seems like in the summer, I don't really have many breakouts, but I do when the weather changes from hot to cold--and usually, pimples where I NEVER get them (on the side of my cheek???). I'm going to stick with this routine and see what happens. Like I said, so far, so good!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am going to try this as well. Will get some honey tonight at the store. I never had acne trouble til I after my youngest was born 5 years ago. Now I am like a teen with breakouts. I started using my own homemade soap- unscented and it has helped but I still get them so I am willing to try this out. Will post results here in a few days.

Thanks for the tip!

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  07:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Do let me know, Beth. I have pretty typical "combination skin" so I think I'm pretty normal. I have always used the Aveeno "clear skin" line--it's pretty gentle. I used to use Neutrogena acne soap and about 4 years ago, I had to switch. My skin was aging, and that cleanser, even though gentle and dermatologist recommended, was becoming too harsh.

I am going to write down your mask, Maggie. Sounds like a great idea! I do exfoliate once a week, less in the winter months.
Thanks for that!

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Hi Maggie,
You mention herbs in your face mask, but didn't mention which herbs. I too have skin that tends to be a bit oily...so might be able to use the same as you??? & where do you recommend looking for green clay? This is a great thread...
Chandra

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  4:49:40 PM  Show Profile
I make a paste with honey and baking soda and I love how my skin feels and looks. Also, no breakouts. :) And it smells yummy!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  9:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what great information, guess who will be using honey on her face tonight.
Yep, that would be me.
Thanks girls.
CS

listening to the quiet moments
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Who would of thought what my Grandmother would NEVER touch and called Bee Poop (she never swear), I would start to also use on my face. Here's to Bee Poop not only an all natural sweetener, allergy helper, will now be helping my face and skin to a more youthful appearance.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

shawna
True Blue Farmgirl

241 Posts

missouri (north)
241 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  9:21:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try this right now. I forgot my face cleaner at my moms and have nothing as good here. so I'll report later what I think. (at least you don't have to worry about it dripping in your mouth!)

xoxo s.r.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  10:22:40 AM  Show Profile
I love honey! It's the way to go, but I honestly never thought of using it on my face all by itself as a cleanser. I've been trying to simplify my "beauty routine" as I just found out that Clorox purchased Burt's Bees (yes, it's true!) and now I'm going to stop using their products as soon as my current stuff runs out. So here I come honey face wash! Is it effective at removing cosmetics after a long day? I'll try it for sure and find out.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  11:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Chandra! :) Well, you can kinda use whatever herbs you like, or have! For my oily skin i love lemon balm and peppermint, both of which are MORE than prolific in my garden! LOL!!! My mom's skin is quite a bit drier - for her, I make a blend of plantain, comfrey, and blue violet leaf (plantain and violet leaf are "weeds" in many parts of the US so you could have them in your backyard). Feeling luxurious? Try ground rose petals - i mean, really, A rose petal and honey masque? How could you not love that!! Hmmm now my mental gears are churning, I may have to get some pink clay and do a rose masque with pink clay, rosepetals, and a drop of rose geranium essential oil....*swoon*

quote:
Originally posted by MasterGardener

Hi Maggie,
You mention herbs in your face mask, but didn't mention which herbs. I too have skin that tends to be a bit oily...so might be able to use the same as you??? & where do you recommend looking for green clay? This is a great thread...
Chandra

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  11:27:46 AM  Show Profile
PS as to where to find clays...hmmm. Perhaps a local health food store? I buy mine in bulk online, from an herb supplier (ameriherb), they are quite inexpensive that way. Soapmaking supply places will often have clays as well.....
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  11:29:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Amanda, I always follow up (after any type of face wash), honey included, with a natural astringent. Right now I use a grapefruit "refresher", and it takes whatever residue is left behind away.

http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile
My favorite thing for removing cosmetics is pure unrefined shea butter...works wonders on mascara and it's wonderful and moisturizing.

quote:
Originally posted by kitchensqueen

I love honey! It's the way to go, but I honestly never thought of using it on my face all by itself as a cleanser. I've been trying to simplify my "beauty routine" as I just found out that Clorox purchased Burt's Bees (yes, it's true!) and now I'm going to stop using their products as soon as my current stuff runs out. So here I come honey face wash! Is it effective at removing cosmetics after a long day? I'll try it for sure and find out.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
OK three days into the beauty routine of honey face wash and I am loving it already. My face looks great- acne is slowly clearing. I will check back after it's been a week. So far so good!

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  08:23:16 AM  Show Profile
YAAAAYYYY Beth! I wondered about results from folks last night, when I was washing my face. It's really crazy how soft my skin is, and it doesn't look "tight" like it always does this time of year due to lack of moisture. Oh, and it doesn't hurt, either because of dry skin.

I'm way diggin' it! Hope it continues to work for you!

http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2007 :  1:26:37 PM  Show Profile
I have not used this as a facial wash persee...I have used it as a facial mask...I get the same rosy cheek effect. I think I will try it as a facial wash tho to see how it works. I curently use olive oil soap and it is a bit drying but not a lot.

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  09:00:19 AM  Show Profile
You can often get clay that's perfect for facials, but cheaper than branded stuff from health food stores, from your pharmicist. Ask for "Fuller's earth." I think it's used in compounding pills. For that reason, you might have better luck going to a real mom-'n'pop drug store than a chain-type place. You don't need much, by the way. A teaspoon is plenty to mix with plain warm water or better yet, Calendula infusion for a really super-cleansing mask. Just start with a clean face, apply it everywhere except your eye area, lie down and let it dry. Rinse it off.

I'm not sure it would ever really dry thoroughly using honey, and the drying is the key thing. It's worth a try!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  08:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I'm following your advise here with the honey. Woodstove weather always sends my face into dryness and breakouts. My honey was in a cool pantry and fairly crystalized--so it was more of an exfoliating scrub than it might otherwise be. I've used it only one evening and morning, but my skin does indeed seem moister. I've wondered about using it as shampoo--ever try it? Thank you for bringing this to us!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pure honey instead of soap for your face! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page