Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning Chicken and chicken recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Chicken and chicken recipes Next Topic  

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  6:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Our first batch of meat chickens is about ready to be, well, as my husband tells the kids, they're about ready for daddy to "take the meat out of them" and we have 30 of them. I'd really like to can some or most. Any ideas of which way you prefer (hot pack/cold pack) and what I'd like even more. . .do you have any recipes that you can make with the chicken meat and then can so they're easy things to whip off the shelf and have for dinner without having to thaw something? Thanks for all the help I'm sure you'll provide!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  6:58:24 PM  Show Profile
I do hot pack...the meat has a less rubbery texture and you can fit more meat into the jars. With cold pack it cooks IN the jar..so it goes down in volume. I roast or boil my chicken first and then cut in bite size chunks and pack into the jars hot and pour hot broth over and pressure can for 90 min. (pints or quarts)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  7:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Ladies I also canned some of our fryers this year, well this is the first year that we have raised them for probably 10 years and I forgot how wonderful and fresh and delicious the meat is so we have agreed this will be an annual event.

I was unsure how to can either so I coldpacked some of the least desirable pieces and I am ashamed to say that I have not opened a single can because I am not sure what I want to do with it now.
Please give me some ideas on how you serve it now.

Thanks,
Becky

Loving Living Simply!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Chicken and chicken recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page