Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 clothesline pics/ideas & resources
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic clothesline pics/ideas & resources Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  7:29:18 PM  Show Profile
My daughter is almost 26 years old, has a 3.5 year old and another on the way in September. She and her husband and family live on a military base in a 3 bedroom duplex. She has a happy life, and I am very thankful. I must confess to one thing, though. I'm envious of the clothesline that comes with their duplex!! She will hang some rugs on it occasionally, and I'm trying to open her up to the idea of actually using it to hang out the wash to dry. Can you imagine when these units were built (every one has a clothesline), that there was probably still a designated wash day, and women actually used them!! I think the units orginally did not have dryers, so it was a given that this was the way to dry their clothes.

I'm including photos of it here just to share ideas with those women whose husband's are reluctant to "do a clothesline". These pics show that with a little creativity a clothesline can be incorporated into the landscape design. Now granted, I think this clothesline is at least 40 years old and has enough layers of paint to prove it, but it is straight and true and has stood the test of time. It has climbing rose bushes on each end of it, and with a little TLC could be quite appealing. I think I may try to emulate one in my yard. Here's the link to see the pics:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.tok=ph6mjTBBSIvr2KUA&.dir=/151d&.src=ph

Now for those of you who've been to Home Depot and been laughed at (almost) regarding buying a clothesline... here are some links to order the parts to make one online:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=16&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=clothesline

and for the posts:
http://www.eclothesdryers.com/t-posts.htm

and here's a link for the "bluing" that whitens up your clothes:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=933&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=673&iSubCat=674&iProductID=933

Remember the movie FRIED GREEN TOMATOES? I loved the line "TAWANDA", which was shouted anytime the girls wanted lots of emotional and physical power to get the job accomplished.

So, girls, TAWANDA!!!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Jun 21 2004 7:36:29 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  8:59:17 PM  Show Profile
I named my favorite ewe lamb this year Tawanda!!! She is the best...couldn't resist!! I do get some funny looks (mostly from men) when they ask what her name is though!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

simpledreamer
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Marybeth
Louisiana
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Clare...that helps me a lot because I've been trying to figure out how to put the clothesline in without it being an eyesore in our yard. If I've got it all figured out...it will get done much faster and without opposition from my husband.

Oh, and TAWANDA! is a commonly heard around my house!

Dreaming of a simple life,

Marybeth
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile
In today's gardening section there is a question about plantings under clotheslines... I thought this was helpful for creative ideas, so I'm copying it here. Compliments of Marianne Binetti from the Seattle PI:

Q: What type of ground cover do you suggest under a clothesline? I love to hang my sheets outdoors in the summer but don't want to mow under the clothesline.

-- P.W., Puyallup

M.B.: To go low with the no-mow, lay flagstones or stepping stones first, then plant a variety of creeping plants between the cracks. Elfin thyme, woolly thyme, blue star creeper (Laurentia fluviantilis) and even tiny bulbs of dwarf daffodils and snow crops can be allowed to fight it out between the hardscaping. Fragrant thymes and low-growing mints may even add their fragrance to your energy-saving clothes dryer.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2004 :  2:14:42 PM  Show Profile
And don't forget the morning glories on the two end posts, that's my favorite!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Glenna
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

glenna
Bonners Ferry ID
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls! I need you help. This is my first home in the country/mountains and I have a basement. The basement is moldy. How can I clean it without breathing commercial cleaner fumes? I am loving my country life. Thanks, Glenna
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Glenna,
Repost your question in the health category, or the cleaning up category, and you may get some responses there. You can start a new thread by clicking on "start a new topic".

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Jul 25 2005 1:43:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic clothesline pics/ideas & resources Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page