Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A charge in my bank account that I didn't make!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A charge in my bank account that I didn't make!!!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  06:36:16 AM  Show Profile
So, as a continuance of my "series" of posts on money getting tighter...

I balance my checking account daily, online--to the penny. Yesterday, I had money, today, I DON'T. And it didn't make any sense to me because all my checks are accounted for, as are check card items....so I rang up the bank, and we went through charges and one in particular, was made to an English Tea Room in Pennsylvania. I haven't been in Pennsylvania, nor have I ordered a $100 bucks worth of tea. The bank gave me the phone number of the "business" and turns out, it's some (what sounds like) Russian guys house in Pennsylvania. Doesn't make me feel real great, lemme tell you.
So, that was my car insurance money, and now I guess I'll call the farm bureau to see if there can be a "grace period" because it will take several days for the bank to resolve this issue with the dispute.

You girls be careful with these debit cards if you have them. I've never run into problems, but I'm thinking my luck is over.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  06:45:45 AM  Show Profile
You know, I've heard some horror stories about debit cards, I don't use one and I guess I won't start now. Hope it gets resolved quickly. I am wondering if you can figure out how/where they got your information in the first place (don't they need your PIN number as well as the card #) and have you changed your PIN - do that quick. Hopefully the bank will be on alert for future unauthorized charges; sometimes these scammers will sell or share info when they get hold of it.

So sorry for your bad luck.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  06:56:09 AM  Show Profile
This happened to us with our credit card. The good news was that they have an excellent fraud department, and immediately spotted that charges suddenly coming for Mexico were unusual, and cut the card off. The bad news was that it took us a week to get notified, and if we had tried to use the card in that time, it would have been declined, and we would not have known why.

But, now I review my statements, and make my DH account for every purchase. One thing tho, when it comes to debit cards...When I got my lastest debit card, it had a small slip with it instructing us to ALWAYs have purchases run as a "credit" purchase, and NEVER as a "debit." They said that this was for security, and keeps our pin number private. The problem we've run into tho is that certain business automatically read the card as a debit, and ask for the pin number. Some business will can re-run the card as a credit upon your instructions. The moral of my story is that I suspect there is probably some financial fine print somewhere that means our fraud protection will be limited if we've been making debit purchases. I've learned that I will start becoming better aquainted with the fraud protections because this happens more often than I thought.

I hope you get it worked out!

Edited by - SarahJ on Oct 23 2007 06:58:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile
contact your fraud dept AND your homeowners/ renters insurance. They will probably cover it!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  08:56:24 AM  Show Profile
i lost my debit card on fri and ended up finding it but before i did i went to the bank and had it locked out of our account. Well i found it at safeway and now am waiting for a new card to be issued to me cause the bank said anyone could have copied down my numbers(great bank). It wouldnt be so bad except that i am out of checks, so if i want any money to buy gas or groceries and other small bills I have to go to the bank and make a withdrawal. Ikes, boy do i miss that debit card but i dont always feel safe with it cause anyone can take those numbers and run with them cause you can use it as credit and that is what worries me.

someone could take your debit card and get gas or go thru a self check out at walmart and they dont always card people on debit cards when you run them as credit so for me i dont like it. I feel better with cash but just wish i had my card to pull it out of the atm at anytime.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie,
Girl, hugs to you!!!!!! Praying they get it straigtened out quickly!!!!!
And thanks for the good info girls.
CS

listening to the quiet moments
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile
My brother & his girlfriends house was robbed yesterday. The robbers took a expired debit card & tried to charge $750 worth of merchandise at a nearby Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart contacted the bank the card was from & the bank called my brother's girlfriend at work. She dashed home & discovered their house was broken into. The police are checking today to see if Wal-Mart has on video the picture of the person who was trying to use the stolen debit card. It's a good idea to always keep all personal information, (bank info, charges, etc.) locked up or well hidden in your home too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlwannabe
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

audrina
Antelope Ca
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I'm so sorry for your troubles-what a huge pain in the rear! Whenever I feel bad about being so dang poor, I always remind myself of the up side-no one can steal my money
Audrina
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  7:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Audrina, I'm sure hoping so! For some reason, it sort of made me laugh--after I got creeped out from the russian accent! I thought to myself, what an idiot--he'll probably attempt something else and my card will be declined!!! We run so close every couple of weeks, that's just the way it is. Hopefully, the bank has stopped the access now. I'm over it--but I'm going to cease using the online bill pay services and things of that nature. I'd really like to conserve what little dollars we DO have!

So sorry about your brother, Dawn. That's just awful. Where there is little money in this economy, there is lots of crime. Unfortunately, I think we're headed for much more situations like your brother's.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  07:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's awful, Jonni. Do you have to make good on the bogus charge? I guess I thought there was some kind of insurance, like with a Visa, when someone else uses your card. Do you have any idea how this person got your card or used your number? I've never wanted a debit card and I'm very paranoid about 'bill paying online', but my dh has a lot of our bills automatically payed online.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  07:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey Janice--
What I understand from the bank security division, is that there are about 20 different ways that someone could have obtained by account number for my checkcard--via online purchases (supposed to be secured websites, but if they can hack into the Pentagon, c'mon, right?), leaving a receipt in the garbage, or most common, a server at a restaurant, which I think is probably more like it--a guy my husband used to work with was investigated by feds for this, and went on to another bar to do exactly the same thing. They make little purchases here and there, so you don't notice as much, but I bet they don't count on someone balancing everyday like I do.

I love my bank (PNC) because oftentimes, when we are on vacation or whatever, the security service will call to see if it's actually us making purchases or not...but in this instance, it's coded like an online purchase, and was something that we actually might purchase--which makes them think it's someone studying our purchase patterns via the internet. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

The bank has issued a "fraud warning" on this particular transaction, and they will refund the money (because of the visa protection agreement) but only after 10 days or so for their investigation. So, I'm out bill money--and I have a lot of them to pay!

As an aside, I'm almost afraid to put $$$ into the account, because what if they have access another way? I did cancel both our cards, and I have to admit, this has taught me a valuable lesson about web surfing and purchasing. Good ole checks should be good enough!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  6:07:41 PM  Show Profile
yeah hard lesson to learn about the net i have only used a credit card online so if for some reason its numbers are stolen i dont have to worry about the bank account and dont you just love waiting for them to issue you new debit cards(this is how we usually buy gas for the car).

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile
A few years back, my checkbook was taken in a store. My mothers checkbook was with it, along with a new credit card I'd not used yet and a Circuit City $50 gift card. When I realized it was gone and hadn't been left at home, I went online to transfer almost all funds out of the checking accounts, since there was overdraft on both. Did not realize that unless you put a limit on the overdraft, the savings accounts could have been wiped out too. While looking at the security tapes in the store, I saw a man with his hand on my shopping cart, but at the same time,on the security cameras, a very active shoplifter was in action in the store and my theft was forgotten. Never did get my checkbook or anything back (was hoping maybe they'd been tossed in a trash can). The card was used several times for small gas charges and then I got a call from the card company-about the same time that evening I was transferring funds from the accounts. All I ended up losing $$$ was the gift card, as all the other charges were removed, so I was really lucky. I don't even take my checkbook in the stores in my work bag (I'm a retail merchandiser) anymore and anything of value is in my pockets. Can't be too careful and as it gets closer to the holidays, the desperate ones who don't earn their money like you and me get much more brazen. I'm often mentioning to women they shouldn't walk off from the shopping cart with their purse in the child carrier-the thieves are gone in an instant and so is the purse, especially if they happen to distract you.
Scary thoughts that someone can wipe out your bank accounts so easily. We can't be too careful it seems.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  12:40:02 AM  Show Profile
yeah i have stopped caring my checkbook in public, i was for a while only caring my license and debit card in my pocket but now that i am pregnant i cant remeber what i was wearing and forget where it is so i have a very small purse that hangs on my wrist and i try not to set it down

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  04:00:02 AM  Show Profile
We had a similar thing happwn with my credit card. Now I have never been out of the US, except once to Canada and there were charges for an airline ticket placed from New Delhi, India. Gimme a break. My credit card company never even questioned it. I had that same account for 20 yrs. before this happened and it only happened a couple of months ago. I called the cc company and they sent me something to sign saying I did not make those charges and they did take them off. How in the world did someone get my information? Especially in India... come on. Usually if you do something online they want that little three number thing on the back.
Anyway they sent me a new card and I keep it put away in a lock box when I'm not using it and I check my cc balance online once a week to make sure there are no weird charges on it.
I'd like to get rid of it. But we keep it for emergencies.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  05:53:30 AM  Show Profile
It's awful--I can't believe someone bought tickets to India! My my, what a cost that was! I mean, the withdraw from my account was a big deal for me, because we don't have anything, but from the legal stand point, it's not worth detecting, nor is it really traceable. I did make a police report with my local department, and interestingly enough, he'd had 2 very similar cases the week prior--a woman, check card charges she didn't make, to an herb store (mine was made at a tea store) in Florida. The merchant name/phone/etc was bogus, just like me calling my russian friend , and the money was going to someone in the UK. The amounts were all even dollar amounts, and no change, just like mine. He said basically, someone had gotten my financial information from either our computer or I'm on a list somewhere...I'll tell you what it doesn't make me feel anybetter that for a long time, we were getting crazy creditor calls for people who had never resided in our home--ever, and I'm talking 20 calls a day for 3 or 4 different people, from different institutions. Someone was listing our phone number on credit applications as an alternate contact--people who lived 2-3 streets over, that I've never met in my life. It was probably just a matter of time before someone figured out our financial info...but, like I said before, they picked the wrong couple, coz we don't have two nickels to rub together Hope their shopping spree was fun!!!!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Actually, it was someone in India making the charge not tickets to India. How someone in India got my info I'll never know. And they say technology is so much better for us. Hmmmmmmm.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tuxedo cat
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
Moscow ID
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  10:22:40 AM  Show Profile
I totally understand how you feel, but you have to realize that anymore with all of the off shore outsoucing, someone in India getting your information is not such a reach. That is where a lot of the big companies have their call centers.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A charge in my bank account that I didn't make!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page