Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 The Secret Life of Bees By Sue Monk Kidd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Secret Life of Bees By Sue Monk Kidd Next Topic  

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  11:05:53 AM  Show Profile
This book was mentioned in the latest MJF magazine and i decided to order it from the library. I am about halfway through and i REALLY like this book. I don't want to put it down and i find myself thinking about it as i go through the day.

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  1:14:49 PM  Show Profile
HiDez,
I read The Secret Life of Bees and I actually missed being with the characters when I finished! It was such a good book. And I certainly learned a lot about thhe intelligence of bees.

Have you read "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver? Another good read.

Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion, i have not read Prodigal Summer and will add it to my list for my next order from the library :-)

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  11:16:36 PM  Show Profile
I liked Prodigal summer alot too!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  7:57:13 PM  Show Profile
I've ordered "Secret Life of Bees" from my library since you've all recommended it. I read "Prodigal Summer" in '01 and you all should know it has s.x in it!!! Also good: "Lost in the Taiga" (don't have author handy) - a true story; "The Florabama Ladies Auxiliary and Sewing Circle" by Lois Battle, and "The Honey Thier" by Elizabeth Graver. All nice summer reading for when it's raining (or when it isn't)

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2004 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile
"Secret Life of Bees": got it, read it, loved it, recommend it!!!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  3:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Florabama Ladies Auxilary and Sewing circle was a great one too..I had forgotten about it. I loved "The Honk and Holler Opening soon" has anyone read that one? They were supposed to make a movie, but I don't think ever did. books are always better anyhow.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  8:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Haven't heard of "The Honk and Holler Opening soon" - what is it about. If anyone is into really eclectic books, try finding a copy of "Lost in the Taiga". It is a true story of a Russian woman, whose parents were persecuted for their old religion beliefs, and took their family to a remote part of Russia to live, by themselves. One daughter was left alone after everyone died, and she was found, at about age 55, a few years ago, by a forestry team. She left to stay with distant relatives, but eventually returned to the taiga. I believe they were to make a movie of this story, but I've never seen it out. I believe she is still alive, living alone in the wilderness.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  11:12:57 PM  Show Profile
The Honk and Holler is about a cafe where all these neat characters sort of end up, sort of tells gradually how they ended up working or hanging out there and is just a great read!!. It is really well written, and one of those "can't put it down" sort of books. I can't think who the author is..but seems like it is the same as "where the heart is". I could be wrong.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals,

Working on my recommended reading list. Books arrived from the library just before i left on vacation but fortunately they told me i could keep them until the 23rd of this month. I finished Prodigal Summer last night, sigh, i really liked it but have spent the day thinking about the characters off and on...wishing i knew what they were up to now. I guess i would like a sequel. Started the Honey Thief just a short while ago. I could not find the Florabama one, durn but i may come across it yet. I have the Big Sky to read yet too. Cecelia, couldn't find Lost in the Taiga either but will keep looking because it sounds like a fascinating story.

Aunt Jenny, Honk and Hollar sounds like it could be a bit like Bagdad Cafe :-)

Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  5:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals,

Working on my recommended reading list. Books arrived from the library just before i left on vacation but fortunately they told me i could keep them until the 23rd of this month. I finished Prodigal Summer last night, sigh, i really liked it but have spent the day thinking about the characters off and on...wishing i knew what they were up to now. I guess i would like a sequel. Started the Honey Thief just a short while ago. I could not find the Florabama one, durn but i may come across it yet. I have the Big Sky to read yet too. Cecelia, couldn't find Lost in the Taiga either but will keep looking because it sounds like a fascinating story.

Aunt Jenny, Honk and Hollar sounds like it could be a bit like Bagdad Cafe :-)

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Roberta, I'm sorry you couldn't find those books, they're really great stories for women. Right now I'm going to start reading "A Widow for a Year", part of it's been made into a movie, which I hope I can get to see when I return from vacation. I got the first two books mentioned from a book club, but I have seen them in local bookstores, so you might try them.
Also try Alibris books (alibris.com) I believe that's the right website. They're pretty good with prices and shipping.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, I love a recommendation for a good book, so I put in a request for The Secret Life of Bees. I am now 45th in line waiting to read it...at three weeks allowed per week, it may be Christmas before I get my hands on it....but I can be patient...

Thanks for the info...

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Tracy
Amherst NH
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2004 :  12:48:07 PM  Show Profile
I just read The Secret Life of Bees for the second time and it was better than the first time around. I love rereading my books; I always find something new. This story makes me want to know more about beekeeping and the uses of honey. Can someone tell me what this Honey Thief book is about? Thanks.

Pieces of the moon dancing
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2004 :  06:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I went to Amazon's website, and there are several pages online to read from The Honey Thief, whose author's last name is Graver. Looked like it would be enjoyable reading. About a little girl and her mother who move from the city to a small town to start over.

I am waiting for Sue Monk Kidd to write again! I loved The Secret Life of Bees, too.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2004 :  08:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Firefly,

I just finished "The Honey Thief"...gee so many of the books this summer have bees in them. Wonder what that is about? I don't think i am going to start keeping bees since it is alleged that nearly all of the bees in this area are now "Africanized". The ones in my garden don't seem particularly agressive though, i don't bother them and they don't bother me. They must keep their hives in the rock crevices in this area since there really aren't suitable trees.

Anyhoo, back to the book. I would say that it is primarily about mother/daughter relationships and about unspoken family secrets and the effect that can have on a family.

Go to Top of Page

LakesideQltr
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Sheila
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2004 :  08:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Send LakesideQltr a Yahoo! Message
I hafta chip in also with a big YES to The Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver and I also would like a sequel to that one. I especially like how someone mentioned "missing" the characters in certain books. I can't remember the author's name, shame on me, but she had written historical romances some time ago and recently has made the jump into big time fiction...the first book I read of hers was "The Saving Graces" about the links between unlikely women who are bonded together as friends. Her most recent title is "The Goodbye Summer". Talk about people one hates to have "leave" when the last page comes!

Just checked myself - the author is Patricia Gaffney, btw!
-Sheila

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - John Lennon

Edited by - LakesideQltr on Sep 12 2004 08:51:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2004 :  10:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading the Secret Life of Bees. Wonderful book. This would be a good on to start of with for the farmgirls book club. There are discussion questions in the back of the book. Her upcoming novel is The Mermaid Chair. I can't wait for that one. It'll be in hardback 1st. It sounds quite interesting.

There is a great book by Larry King (yes, the Larry King) called "Love Stories of WW II" It's a super read. It's about real men and women who fell in love and many married during the war.

I usually have 2-3 books going on at a time. The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) are excellent. I am staring a copy of short stories by Henry Davis Thoreau as the 150Th anniversary of Waldens Pond is this year.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2004 :  2:23:42 PM  Show Profile
okay, I am just gonna have to read the Secret Life of Bees..will look for it tomorrow! Love Stories of WWII sounds great too. I tend to like books set in that era.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2004 :  2:38:55 PM  Show Profile
If you can't find Love Sories, let me know, you can borrow mine.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  12:49:21 PM  Show Profile
I have just read this book. I sat down in the morning and stayed up until late at night to finish it (which is really unusual for me). It was wonderful. For those of you who haven't read it, you must.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  4:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Isn't awesome Patsy?!?!?!?!? I was the same way, I think I read it in 2 days.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Secret Life of Bees By Sue Monk Kidd Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page