Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 So, circular needles AREN'T my enemy!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic So, circular needles AREN'T my enemy!!!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  06:37:16 AM  Show Profile
I started a hat on circular needles---and it's working!!!!!

That may not seem like a big feat to you VERY, talented, very seasoned knitters, but for me, I break out in hives everytime I look at those two needles connected together!
DH was gone last night, so I plopped myself down on the sofa after eating a bowl of cereal for dinner, and got out my instructions for "joining in the round" and Voila! I started this awesome hat with Noro wool. The pattern sort of looks like a beekeep. Really cute!

I'm very excited, as you may already be able to tell, and stayed up working on it until 1:30 am. Now I am sleepy, but ready to work on it on my lunch hour. Barring any terrible mishaps, I will post a photo when finished

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:09:44 AM  Show Profile
You go gal pal! I am right there with you; I have lots more enthusiasm than experience and talent in the knitting arena, so I for one am excited to see your posted photo!!! Cheers! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile
LOL!! Yes, I hear you on the circular needles being intimidating.
I bought a set of round looms for loom knitting to make hats in the round instead.
can't wait to see!

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ Blog
http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/soap.html Soap
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:57:38 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE my circs. Most of what I do now, I try to do on circs... it's just easier, I think. Once you get the hang of them, go ahead and order yourself some interchangeable circs (much cheaper than buying a lot of different sizes). I have Denise Interchangeables (about $50 a set), and I want the Knitpicks interchangeables (between $50-60 a set). Once you have a set of interchangeables, you really don't need to buy separate ones.

Good luck with your hat! I'm working on a top-down sweater for myself... I've made it to knitting the body part (not hard), but I am scared to death of the sleeves. I've never made it this far. I'll just figure it out when I get there. :)

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  08:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Round looms...Bonne, what does that look like? I've done weaving on a large wooden loom, but I've never seen round...

You go, Kim! A sweater! In my dreams. Maybe I'll start one in January. Right now, I'm knitting for a benefit for our friend (with cancer) for the silent auction. If this hat turns out, I might make another (for me!)

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  08:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Yes! I made a baby blanket on circular needles and it was even easier than a hat. Didn't need to narrow it down at the end. That part still confuses me, but it did work the way the directions said it would. I love it when that happens.
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  11:06:56 AM  Show Profile
They're the Provocraft knifty knitters:

http://www.provocraft.com/products/catalog.php?cl=knifty%20knitter&scl=looms

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ Blog
http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/soap.html Soap
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  12:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Cool! It almost reminds me of the potholder thingee I had of my mom's, when I was a kid...same kindof idea, I guess, but different

Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  10:58:06 AM  Show Profile
i learned how to knit on circular needles. they are the only ones i can use. i am so used to the needles staying connected to each other and just letting one "drop". i tried to use regular needles the other day and i kept dropping them! i got so frustrated that i went out and bought circular ones in that size just to avoid that problem!

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  1:31:09 PM  Show Profile
COOL! I have been scared to death just lookin' at those unnatural lookin' needles. But I LOVE hand knit socks and hats, so i'm just gonna have to go buy some and give it a try.

Wishing you joy in small things and peace in your heart

Annika

http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:13:11 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it the neatest thing to do. I love the circular needles, I knit socks on them, and just love doing them. you will have great fun and enjoyment. Happy knitting!

debinmtns
Have a Gratitude Attitude
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I adore circular needles!

It sounds so good to hear myself laugh. --Rascal Flats, "No Reins"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  7:27:08 PM  Show Profile
I adore you, Corinne! It's so glad to hear from you.
Hope you are well!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic So, circular needles AREN'T my enemy!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page