Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  08:06:25 AM  Show Profile
Help please. I love mustard and collard greens but don't know how to cook them. I have a bunch of collards in the fridge at home and need to fix them for dinner tonight, except I don't know how. Do I steam them or throw them into a pot of boiling water? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kay

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  10:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Saute a chopped onion in a pan with olive oil or cut up bacon. Then add the chopped greens. Add a dash of water if too dry, put a lid on for a few minutes, till tender. Serve with a few drops of balsalmic vinegar, salt & pepper. Yummy

Another favorite is to cook the green this way & pour some scrambled eggs over them and cook together. Even topping with a little cheese. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  4:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Here is one of my favorites-

"Mean Money Greens"-from the Dinosaur BBQ Cookbook

Take one pound collards-clean them, discard stems. Drop into a couple of inches of salted, boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water and chop coarsely.

In a skillet, pour 1/4 cup olive oil. Toss in 1 red bell pepper cut into strips, and 1/2 onion, slivered. Season with salt and pepper, cook until soft. Toss in 4 large cloves of garlic, minced, and cook for a minute more. Dump in the greens, give them a stir, and add 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 2 tblsp. red wine vinegar, a sprinkling of Tabasco, and 2 tsp. honey.

Give them another stir and serve!

Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  08:01:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Kristine and Jennifer. I want to try both recipes. Good thing I'm headed to the farmer's market again on Saturday. I'm getting hungry this morning at work thinking about them.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  08:18:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a big fan of collard greens but maybe it's just the way they were cooked. Those recipes both sound good. I've been to Dinosaur BBQ but never had the collard greens. I should go over and try them sometime, the restaurant is right across from my parking garage!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking Greens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page