Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Clothesline of Quilts on Barns Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Clothesline of Quilts on Barns Project Next Topic  

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  7:49:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys. I wanted to let you know of a special project that is happening in Kentucky, Ohio, North Carolina, and Tennessee. It is called the Clothesline of Quilts project. Due to the decline of tobacco growers with the USDA buyout, farmers are turning to other ways to keep the heritage still alive. Some of the old tobacco barns are being restored and made into horse stalls, or perhaps a place to sell their goods like a market. Others that live near a busy road (or off the beaten path) have joined in with the clothesline project.

Basically a farmer has a "quilt design" on a large piece of plywood that is painted and placed on the barn. The quilt designs are usually made by homemakers and quilters and then painted by their husbands or friends.

It all started in Ohio and slowly trickled down through Kentucky. Right now, Scott County, Clark County, and Madison County in Kentucky have an abundance of quilt squares on the old barns. There are also some in far North Eastern Kentucky that I remember hearing about. I know about the ones in Scott, Clark, and Madison because I know the people on the committees and support the project. They are in the same type office that I am in. We are hopefully going to have a few in Fayette and Woodford counties one of these days.

Here is a neat article that has photos of the quilts:
http://www.americanprofile.com/article/19683.html

There is also the Appalachian Quilt Trail website:
http://www.vacationaqt.com/

There are really a couple of purposes of having the quilts. One is preserving the heritage of the traditional tobacco barn rather than tearing it down. The second is to share the beautiful art and heritage in quilting.

One of the goals is that the Kentucky Tourism folks will help promote the trails. We have everything from the Bourbon Trail to the Country Music Trail to the Bluegrass and BBQ Trail. Funding for the projects are usually done through fund raisers and grants from the local Rural and Community Development Councils (RC&D), Conservation Districts, and Cooperative Extension Service offices.

I thought I might share this neat idea for some of you wanting to know and learn more about preserving our agricultural heritage.

~Jessica in Kentucky~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  8:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What an interesting concept! I am going to go read those articles now! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  8:07:38 PM  Show Profile
What a great way to share folk art..... I am off to check those articles, how kool!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ok, I am back, How kool! I love the Barn Art!
Thanx again for telling us about this site.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Oct 13 2007 8:10:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  8:15:59 PM  Show Profile
I think I may have a photo or two of some of the barns around us here.

Something else that they are doing with the old lumber from tobacco barns is taking down the barn and selling the wood for home flooring/walls/edging. Apparently that is the "new thing" to do, especially for more of the urban homes wanting to have a rural feeling to it. And it isn't cheap. I think one of the biggest success stories from farmers that I work with through my work is that they are taking the old barns and putting horse stalls in them. They can board other people's horses or their own. Most just need water run out to them and a little more electricity and that's about it.

~Jessica in Kentucky~
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  07:48:52 AM  Show Profile
jessica .. two of the women who actually PAINT these awesome QUILT BOARDS (VOLUNTEERS) came to Freedom Valley Farm to meet MaryJane .. i made sure they got introduced so they could tell her all about this project. They are going to send me some info .. and i will definitely take it to our "City Hall" to see if we can't jump on this bandwagon too. I know there are already quite a few of them here .. some they have painted through the organization .. and some that individuals have painted and put on their own barns. I surely plan to do this ... honestly don't think i want to get on the 'map' though .. cuz' we love the privacy of this little hollow.

It is such a great idea to use the wood from 'fallen down' barns and outbuildings from yesterday. (Friend Sugarbucket actually purchases olde neglected log cabins .. and sells them to people who will re-locate them and bring them back to their glory days (our lower cabin right here on the farm was in a heap ready to be BURNED .. when it was discovered!)

I also love fences, walking sticks and things made from olde tobacco sticks! I have two HUGE primitive 'stars' made from them .. one on our back porch and one over our bed.

It is wonderful when we can each contribute to saving pieces of our farm heritage. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Love the idea! Can't wait to see it on barns in Tennessee!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

My Blog: http//tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  11:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Next time I travel to my sister's house, I will make sure to stop and see some of these beautiful pieces of art. Thanks for posting the links!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2007 :  08:17:14 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to update ya'll on a wonderful article in our local paper about the Clothesline of Quilts. The official KY Quilt Trail website is up and running and revamped too. Here are the links:

http://www.kentucky.com/454/story/267583.html

http://www.kentuckyquilttrail.org/

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2007 :  8:44:08 PM  Show Profile
I love it! what a great idea. I am a barn nut anyway but combine that with art than I am really nutso about it! :)

artist, equine portraits, animal art, farms, barns, Amish art
www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile
Sue - I'm like you, I'm a barn nut too! I do photography on the side. I love your Amish artwork. I've bookmarked your websites. If I get the chance, I may go out and take some photos of the barns with the "quilts" on them for ya'll!

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  3:25:36 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea. Thank you for sharing and I just happen to have a few places to display that type of thing. Super

http://theclarkhomestead.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Duchess on Jan 03 2008 3:27:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  4:02:43 PM  Show Profile
We have several of these in our area. I am one county away from Manchester OH. It is nice to see old barns with these beautiful "quilts" on them.
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  12:00:44 AM  Show Profile
The quilts on the barns started out in Ohio and have trickled down to KY and TN and a few other states. I think it is just a wonderful idea because it shows the tradition of quilting and of the old tobacco barns. There are a few that are 'free standing'. If anyone is interested in learning more about the proper sizes, paint, etc and where they are, don't hesitate to email me. I have the info as we are hopefully going to try to start up a few here in our county.

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  08:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Jessie I went to Corbin yesterday and saw one on a barn it was the turkey tracks pattern I loved it. I would like to do one on sterls john deer color barn right

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  9:54:20 PM  Show Profile
I was finally able to take a photo of one of the barns just off I75 southbound in Madison County. There is another one right off the interstate further down, but due to traffic, I couldn't get a photo of it. So here is a "sample" of the barns:

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Clothesline of Quilts on Barns Project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page