hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  2:37:41 PM  Show Profile
I always screw up my pie crust recipes.They are always too crumbly and not firm,almost like raw biscuit dough.Anyone have a tried and true recipe?
I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
If I get the pie crust recipe down,maybe I can learn how to make the rhubarb custard pie I have talked about.

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  2:46:33 PM  Show Profile
You know what.. i have the same problems!!
My Pies.. the inards..areALWAYS SOO delicious!

But my crusts.. eeewww.. well My crusts end up making every single pie i make turn into something other then just Pie really.. more of a..
Cobbler.. EVERY Single Time!

Yes.. Help Please!
I think My Great Aunt Lorraine always said it was a trick to do with something about the amount of water.. something like that.. WHY didn't i listen to her???

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  2:58:23 PM  Show Profile
Here's what I use, and I think it's pretty good:

2 1/2 C AP flour
1 tsp salt
1 C cold shortening ( I use half shortening and half butter)
1/4 to 1/2 c ice water

Just mix the flour and salt, add the shortening in pieces, then smoosh it in with a fork or a pastry cutter until it looks kinda like Bisquick, then add the cold butter in really small bits. Incorporate the butter a little, you should still see some flecks of it. Then add some COLD water. You can't really give an exact measurement for the water because it changes with each days humidity, flour, etc. Then I make a flattened ball of it, wrap and put in the fridge for about half an hour, then roll.

It is important to not overmix or your crust will be crunchy instead of nice and flaky. It is also important to have the stuff cold. The little bits of butter help to make the flakiness.

Now, if one of you wants to post a yummy filling recipe, I might go make us a pie. :)

Happy Cooking!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I bumped a topic for you ladies- but here is a great recipe from Jonni that is on that other thread! It is my favorite now!

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

1413 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA

Posted - Jul 05 2007 : 11:21:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never rolled a crust...found this one and stick to it. Everyone raves, so why stress myself out

2/3 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water, boiling
1 1/2 cups flour

In a medium mixing bowl, cream shortening with 1 teaspoon salt.
Mix in boiling water; stir in flour.
Press crust into a 9 or 10 inch pie plate.

I do mine with a kitchenaid stand mixer and it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish (pressing into pie plate and crimping edges)

I also use this crust with quiches, too.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  3:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Alee,thanks =)
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2007 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Here's my Grandma's recipe. They owned a bakery for years and the instructions are hers, not mine, and well if you want to argue with Grandma, by all means have at 'er! But I do have to say she made the best pastry you ever ate.

5 cups flour
1 lb lard (never use shortening)
1 egg whisked with enough ice cold water to make 1 cup

Cut the lard into the flour until no large lumps of lard remain. Pour egg/water over the flour/lard in the bowl and toss to just moisten with two forks...it will be sticky. DON'T overwork it, just get it all moistened.

Generously flour your counter/table/board and place a quarter of the pastry on the flour. Flour the top of your pastry and begin to roll it out, moving the pastry around so it doesn't stick to the counter top.

Place into pie plate and refrigerate it until you're ready to put it into the oven. Grandma says the key to good pastry is to cook the flour before the lard begins to melt ??? Don't know, but her's is always very flaky and light. Oh, and she says never put salt into pastry as it makes it tough.

So there ya go!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  08:56:34 AM  Show Profile
You know, I don't know what you gals are using to roll out your pie crust. I had a hard plastic sheet from that home parties plastic company for years and I never had good luck using it, although my mother-in-law swears by hers.

I use a pastry cloth, it is heavy-weight cloth like duck or denim, with flour on it, and I put a knitted cotton sleeve over my rolling pin. I roll the pin in the flour before starting to roll out the dough.

For some reason this combination works the best for me and I never have problems with the dough sticking to the cloth.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:47:18 AM  Show Profile
I've had great luck with the MJ recipe, in fact I just made up two batches of it and used one to make an apple pie yesterday and am going to make another for the hay ride at my parent's farm this weekend.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup butter
some salt which I don't usually use
and then add cold water by the tablespoon until the dough comes together

I start out cutting in the butter with a fork and then when I get to the point of adding the water I use my hands because I have a hard time getting it all to incorporate good if I don't and don't forget to chill it for at least an hour. What I have a hard time with is getting the pie crusts put together, making the seams sealed good. I'm not so worried about the edges looking pretty I just want them to be sealed good but I haven't quite figured out how to make that work well yet. Good luck with your pie crust making!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

Edited by - Leezard on Oct 18 2007 07:48:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  07:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Alee! I'm so glad you like the pie crust, and it's become a standard for you. I made an apple pie on Monday night (using the crust) for a gal here in our office, who just passed her bar exam. Happily, everyone loved it, especially her!

J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  4:44:56 PM  Show Profile
KYgurlsrbest,I made your crust and it came out PERFECT!Just like a bakery crust.ITS SO GOOD!EASY EASY too.
The apples I used weren't juicy though.What apples do you use?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  06:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Farah! I'm excited that you liked it and it worked out for you!

I tend to use a combination of apples--I like tart and sweet together:
if I'm buying from the grocery, it's granny smith, pink lady and braeburn, if I'm buying from the farmer's market, it's pippins, cortland and stayman winesap.

I tend to stay away from most store bought apples because they've been stored for so long, but in a pinch, the above listed will do
I use 6 apples, so 2 of each type. Peeled and sliced thin, and the only "filling" I use is a tsp of cinnamon and a 1/2 cup of sugar, mixed together then spooned over the apples. I usually even shake the pie plate to make sure it gets all the way down between the apples.

What kind of apples did you use?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  3:38:15 PM  Show Profile
I used granny smith and mcintosh,3 of each.
The flavor was great,but my apples weren't juicy.
The crust is sooo good,thanks again for the recipe.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  4:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane has a great recipe for apple pie filling in the Idea book. Since you make it before hand it is pre-cooked so no shrinking or dipping in the top crust and you will always know how juicy or not it is.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  5:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Alee,I don't have the book.Can you post it?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  5:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/SimplyMJ/articles/column6.asp

Her it is!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pie crust recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page