Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  03:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Today we wil be adding yet another chicken into the flock.

This new gal comes by way of a chicken truck, and a kind hearted animal keeper who found her on the side of the road last week.

We have a fairly extensive rehab facility at the zoo, and let me tell you, NOTHING is ever refused! (Except raccoons due to high incidents of rabies) It gets a little crazy around baby bird and squirrel season.

So this afternoon I'll slowly introduce "Dixie"-name after East Dixie Drive where she was found to the others.

I have a smallish med ward, so maybe hearing the others and seeing her will bring her out of her shell. I can only imagine how traumatized she must be.

Was kind of funny to listen to the vet talk yesterday. This poor bird clearly didn't need ANY antibiotics. Glad to provide a happy resting place and somewhere she can "detox". Eventually I'll allow her to free range too so maybe she can loose a little weight.

Amazing just how pumped up these "Perdue" birds get. Makes me reconsider some lifestyle changes concerning chicken. I'm a meat eater, but I just feel badly whenever I see on of these trucks on the road. Around here it's really common!

And a question too: Do you think "Dixie" will eventually lay eggs?

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  09:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Ah....a chicken rescue! No clue if she'll lay eggs for you; kinda depends on her health and age. Right now egg production slows down due to the shorter days for most birds, so I'd not expect anything much until spring.

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  11:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Yea, and I think I heard something about meat birds going to market at a tender age of 6 weeks! So this gal will need some serious detox and a little growing up. If it holds true I may get hopeful around March then.

Geesh And if the age thing is true- no wonder their legs buckle under all that weight.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic new addition Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page