Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Carpooling Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  8:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!
This year I have been approached about carpooling. Help! I haven't ever done this on a regular basis. The situation is: two of us live about 2 miles apart, but about 21 miles from school (we're all teachers), a third lives about halfway to school. I teach in one town, the other two teach in a town about seven miles farther. The only thing I can come up with is to pay the person who lives here in town gas money each week and be at her mercy as to when I go and come home. We've thought about trying to split it up somehow, I don't mind if they take my car on, but then it seems that I would get stuck with extra mileage. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  09:07:06 AM  Show Profile
hi, are you from Iowa? Just wondered since your name is JOYIOWA.
I hope you can work out the sharing a ride deal. I think in this area they meet in a central location. And each person drives a week and takes turns using their car so then you would not pay each other. I would hate to be at the mercy of someone else timewise unless your could be within a short time.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marlene,
Yes, I'm from Iowa. Originally from Decorah, but now live just 45 minutes west of you. At least today we Iowa gals aren't in danger of melting into the storm sewers like we have been. I might even shut the air off today.
Regarding carpooling: I know it would make sense financially and would realistically save me about $75 a month in gas, I just don't know how to realistically suggest we work out the logistics.
Have a great day!
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile
I for one am ready for cooler fall weather. I do not like the heat and am so spoiled by working in air all day. Decorah is a pretty town and I have been there. I love the hills of northern Iowa. With the high price of gas (it has come down a little) I can understand that carpooling would be a way to save for all involved. Are the others open to meeting partway and then share a ride. I know there are some in my area that work at the univ of iowa that meet at a corner and ride to work in a van together. Do you all work similar hours? Also maybe you would look at how economical the cars are for mileage. It makes sense to share a ride but important all are on time and do not delay the others. Maybe to besure you leave on time you be the one to drive and charge the others a set fee. How far are you going? I will be interested to see how you come out on this. It is a good idea for people a number of miles away from a city. It would not work for me as I do errands before and after work most days.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Carpooling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page