The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  8:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll, I'm Kim from Shreveport, Louisiana! I am so excited to have discovered Maryjane and all of her farmgirls. I read about the farm in Country Home and went straight to the computer, then ran to the Barnes and Noble for her magazine and found her book too! I sat right down at the book store and looked at each page...i was lost in all of it....I WAS HOME!

To me it seems her magazine and book speaks to who we all are on a cellular level. The energy of our ancestors, here in America and abroad, has been encoded in our blood. Whether we are from the north, south, east or west,it flows through our veins communicating all that we have been, all that we are and all that we will be. It's no surprise then, when we see the pictures and read the journals that something deep within us resonates and we identify with the memories. Our heart strings are pulled because we've all been there and our spirits bear witness. So a million thanks to Maryjane, staff and all you farmgirls for preserving our heritage of love for family, friends, nature and honest work.

I so look forward to getting to know each of you and learning from you too. What a fun adventure...life is so good!..."my cup runneth over."

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund

Edited by - The Handmaiden on Aug 06 2005 11:25:06 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  8:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kim!! How fun to "meet" you. We are getting the best new gals...and lots lately!! I can see why..we are all such kindred spirits...can't imagine being anywhere else!! Tell us more about you!! You sure have a way with words!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  9:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim! Welcome! I just started posting on here as well. Everyone is so wonderful and Jenny has been so helpful to me as my family and I are new to rural life and raising animals other than dogs and cats. I could't agree with you more regaring the feeling that Mary Jane's book evokes in side of you. It truly gives you a feeling of connectedness. We have started a small farmgirl chapter here and we look forward to our time together. We get together and talk, laugh, eat, create and just plain love on each other!!!

It's good to have you here!

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny! Nice to meet you too! "kindred Spirits"....well, that reminds me of one of my favorite books, Anne of Green Gables. Thank you for your warm welcome. I am 49, the mother of four children, ages 20,22,24,and 27. My father was raised on a chicken farm and I've been in love with farms since I was a little girl. I have 5 brothers and sisters, and my favorite childhoood memory is not being able to go out and play in the summer until we had each shelled a bushel of peas. Purple hulls were my favoirte and after all that shellin' my fingers were purple. Of course, at the time we thought it was torture. Wouldn't trade the memories for anything now.

In 1998, fter 20 plus years of marriage, I was divorced and am now accepting and rediscovering all that I am. I left the South and lived on Martha's Vineyard for 4 years, as the resident manager of The Winnetu Inn and Resort. I loved the weather and the ocean. I then spent some time in Hawaii and in the meantime, acquired my floral design license from the Floral Design Insitute in Seattle. I am now back home with family and friends. Needless to say, my journey has been most interesting, full of lessons and healing. And now, here I am on a new adventure. Looking forward to getting to know you and all the others. I know it will be wonder-FULL!!!

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  05:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kim to the board! I'm fairly new myself. I saw that you mentioned Martha's Vineyard. I have always wanted to go on a trip up there, but we haven't yet. May have to for a 2nd honeymoon. :-) I have a couple of friends down in Louisiana and it is always neat that no matter what part of the country or world you are in, everyone lives about the same. Some customs may be different than those that live in other parts of the US, but everyone is one family.

Welcome aboard!

Jessica ~ Lexington, Kentucky
(Miss Wilma's Niece)
"Sit down and sit awhile on the front porch of life..."
Go to Top of Page

Barn Goddess
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Mary Jane
Henry Virginia
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  2:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim. I read about Mary Jane's farm in Country Home as well. Welcome aboard. I think this will be fun.
Mary Jane

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  7:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Kim. Welcome from another girl living in the South. It sounds as if you are already one of "us" and I look forward to hearing about your talents and life lessons learned.

We have a couple of Louisiana gals here already!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  7:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary Jane. A belle from Virginia,well,welcome to you too! I'm having fun already, aren't you?!

I rode through your state last October on my way home from Martha's Vineyard and I found it very hard to keep my eyes on the road. It was lovely! The rolling hills and the farms and everything still seemed so green. We stopped to visit a friend and discovered the biggest buckeye tree i had ever seen and it was just dropping all of it's treasures. we spent 2 hours filling ziplock bags to bring good luck to our friends in La. Sweet memories.

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  8:31:28 PM  Show Profile
- Thanks for the welcome, jpbluesky. While trying to find my way around the different forums I've seen your name alot and appreciate all that you've shared. I'm looking forward to hearing from the other girls in Louisiana and maybe all of us southern girls can set a file on fire like the farmgirls from Chicago!:-) I'm really looking forward to participating in the mailart too! snailmail is one of my favoirte forms of communication and I can't wait to have a day off to create.

- Hello to Jessica (miss Wilma's niece)...You will love visiting Martha's Vineyard, but go in the off season. The weather is still beautiful in late September and October and all the crowds have left. When you plan the trip let me know and I'll tell you the hot spots and secrets. You are so right about us all being one BIG family..makes me smile to just think of all the togetherness. Just married 2 years? Oh, you have so many wonderful expereinces to look forward to. ENJOY EVERYTHING!!!...even the stuff that doesn't seem so good at the moment...it all comes out in the wash.

- Hi Missy! Your farmgirl chapter sounds like lots of fun. There is nothing better than loving support, fun and laughter and something good to eat! Your quote about the garden reminded me of a photo with a quote that I saw in a magazine. The photo was of a child with her arms thrown around the waist of an adult. Both are standing in a garden in their boots and the quote reads, "More things grow in the garden than the gardener sows."...so true, so true!

have a great week-end everyone!

joan walsh anglund

Edited by - The Handmaiden on Aug 06 2005 11:26:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Howdy,Neighbor!
I'm in Tyler,texas. You're closer than people in Dallas! My father-in-law is a Cajun and so we must be related, right? I must say that if given a choice between Big D and Shreveport, I go your way. I was a temporary member of your local story telling guild and had a chance to tell at one of your malls. I loved the people there. Maybe you know some of them or have heard of the guild. If not you may want to keep an eye out for concerts. Those were some of the BEST tellers I've ever heard!
Welcome!
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  1:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Lorij, a.k.a. bayoubunch..where are you transplated from and how many in your bunch in the bayou? are you as hot as we are up here in the northern part of the state? how many other La. farmgirls are there?...OH MY! so many questions!...but inquiring minds want to know...and i'm thinkin' you know the answers.thank you for the hello.

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile
hey mary! you are close and we love tyler! we call it little "d"...the shopping is just as good and less traffic. I have not heard of the story teller guild. do tell me more! CAJUNS! do they know how to have fun or what?!?! and they can spin a yarn too!

Do you know about Blue Moon Gardens over your way? always worth the trip...sorta like gorcery shoppping when your hungry tho' if you arent' careful. seems when my 6 senses are on red alert in a nursery like that, common sense decides to take a lemonade break under the shade tree.

looking forward to more visits soon.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  2:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Howdy, again!
It's been years since I was there for a meeting. We started a guild here. Blue moon is wonderful. There's another place that you should check out as well,especially at Christmas. It's called Jordanville. It's a nursery/store and during the holidays, there are fully decorated trees that you can order. They can cost up to $1000.00!!!!
so you can guess how beautiful they are!
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  2:56:32 PM  Show Profile
mary, does the guild have a name? and is jordanville, the name of the store or the town?

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  4:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kim !!! A big Louisiana welcome from Lake Charles...I get so excited when I see "home" folks. You are in for some wonderful surprises from these wonderful farmgirls. I am so delighted that you are with us. I may be up in your area around Oct. or Nov...for a convention. Maybe we can meet for coffee . wouldn't that be fun.

I ordered Mary Janes Book's this week and I am like a kid waiting for Santa. I know I will spent hours reading and dreaming !!!..

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Howdy,
The guild does but, I'll have to check with a friend about the details. Jordanville is a store on State Hiway 42 between Texas Hiway 64 and US Hiway 79.It's well worth the drive!!Plan one saveral hours. Besides the trees, they have some incredible music boxes and clocks.
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:22:56 PM  Show Profile
hello, Linda! I'd love to meet you for coffee, so when you know the dates send me an email and we'll do it. It would be so much fun to actually meet a fellow farmgirl! MJ's new book is wonder-FULL! that girl's head must hurt from all the info in it...how generous of her to share with us all.
i'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

joan walsh anglund

Edited by - The Handmaiden on Aug 06 2005 10:27:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  07:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Howdy, Joan!
I sent an e-mail to the La. storytellers and found that they haven't had a guild in Shreveport since one of the leaders died a few years ago. Maybe you can help get them started again!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic A Southern belle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page