Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sneaky Vegtables Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
Has anyone ever used the cookbooks called "The Sneaky Chef" or "Deceptively Delicious". These book use vegetable puree's to sneak vegetables into foods mostly for children but adult too. I saw the Oprah show which highlighted "Deceptively Delicious" cook book. But when I went to order it the "The Sneaky Chef" Popped up and now I'm not sure which to buy. I read the reviews but am hoping that some of you may have used these books and could help me out as to which one to order. I'm thinking that it would be a great baby shower gift for up coming showers. Thanks for your help.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  4:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I must admit that I just put the veggies in and my husband eats them. Growing up my mom did the same. We didn't make seperate dinners for picky eaters and everyone had to eat some of every fruit and veggie "on the side". I didn't learn until I started cooking with mom that she put a lot more veg in the sauces than I thought. Sometimes us kids balked at eating things like brussel sprouts, but we did and I love veggies.

It only takes one month to get someone's tastebuds used to eating a new flavor- So good luck on your veg adventure! It will be good for your family! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  8:01:12 PM  Show Profile
This post instantly caught my attention because on our second date, I invited my (now) dh over for dinner...I made a steak au poivre with real mashed potatoes and creamed peas....before he dished out some potatoes onto his plate he said, "um...there aren't any parsnips in here, are there?" Apparently, that was the way his mother used "sneaky vegetables"!

There weren't any parsnips, but I thought to myself, "what a great idea...."

Good luck with your choice, but I bet any way to get kids to eat veges, even if you don't tell them, is super.

What about using spaghetti squash instead of real spaghetti? I can hardly tell the difference myself, once there's sauce and cheese. Get em' started on that, and they'll never know!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile
That was one of the worst meals my mom ever thought of and coincidentally never cooked again...that was spaghetti squash with ground turkey.

Oh there are some classics that just shouldn't be messed with.

I might have a better tolernace for the squash now, but sans the ground turkey. Yuck

And when I discovered the wonders of BBQ sauce and Tobasco, it opened up whole new possabilities.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  05:43:52 AM  Show Profile
Anna, that made me laugh--perhaps it was the turkey, or your poor mom may have suffered from the same "cooking" problems as mine did: she once made me cinnamon toast and ommitted the sugar. YUM. Just cinnamon and butter--that will jump start a kid for school EVERYTIME!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  06:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Betty!
I was actually getting ready to post the same question on here! I saw the Deceptively Delicious cookbook on the Today show yesterday. I also started to look up reviews right away. From what I found it looked like so far the only duds was the chocolate chip cookies (awesome warm but get a little to moist when cool, have to rewarm to eat) and the chocolate pudding (stated that it did not taste right and no one would touch it, also a little to greasy). Both of those problems could probably be adjusted for though. The other 4 recipes I read about where great according to the reviews.

I'm seriously thinking about trying this cookbook first. It's impossible to get my 4 yr old to eat veggies right now and I worry about her getting sick this winter. I'm also wondering if it will make her more likely to eat veggies onces she does get used to the taste of them from me adding them to other foods.

If anyone else has tried either book please do add your input!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  06:22:12 AM  Show Profile
What's the "deceptive" part about chocolate chip cookies and chocolate pudding?

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
I saw the Jessica Seinfeld book on Oprah too (I have the episode taped now). I am thinking about getting the book as well... I don't like vegetables, never have, and won't eat them by themselves, on my own. I was made to eat them as a child, and as soon as I had a say in the matter I quit eating them. It's not so much the taste as it is the texture, and I can't figure out how to get around that problem. Puree-ing them and adding them to other foods would work wonders for the texture issue, as long as it doesn't change the taste too much. Luckily, my husband has managed to get my girls to try (and eat) lots of veggies. :) I refuse to force them to eat anything though... I'd like them to try whatever the new food is, but they don't have to eat it if they don't like it, and we don't follow a "clean your plate" rule around here. If they don't like what dinner is, they can have a cold sandwich and applesauce or yogurt.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  1:09:16 PM  Show Profile
The cookies and pudding had veggies in them. I think that the cookies had chickpeas and the pudding had avocados.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile
I could see how the pudding would be a bit "greasy" if that's so...
I know I've made cookies with applesauce, and things like that, but never veges.

Best of luck. I like veges and I still don't think I'd eat them in cookies!

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  08:03:04 AM  Show Profile
I just borrowed The Sneaky Chef To The Rescue from the library and it's awesome! I made the White Puree and Green Puree, then made the Enlightened Enchiladas recipe. It was really good and even though my kids are grown now, I'm going to use these recipes for my husband & me, to get more fibre & vegetables into us. Boy, I wish I had known about this idea when my kids were small!

I'm going to make more of the purees, and I am freezing them in 1/4 cup portions so they're ready at hand.

You can go to the website http://www.thesneakychef.com/ and there are some recipes on there to see. If you want to see the puree recipes, under "free recipes" click "view all recipes."

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  09:38:57 AM  Show Profile
My sister has the sneaky chef book. She makes brownies with blueberry and spinach in them that are amazing! Her kids are super picky eaters and they like everything she makes!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  10:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm just taking the brownies out of the oven right now, and they smell AMAZING! They look just like regular brownies, and I'm amazed how the spinach & blueberries are hiding in them! Can't wait to try them when they cool...

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sneaky Vegtables Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page