Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Swapping Ettiquette Next Topic  

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
You sit eagerly awaiting your swap package, filled with so many wonderful farmgirl creations. You sent yours in right on time for the deadline. You worked very hard and know everyone else did too. But the package never shows up. When you check the swap board you see someone has been delayed, forgot or just hasn't budgeted their time to get it done when it should be done. Or maybe it's a one person swap and you sent yours out but the other person didn't. You are a farmgirl and always look to see the best in everyone and you don't want to tell someone how hurt you are or how saddened you are that it hasn't come yet. What should you do? Why does this happen?

Well first let me say that this comes from a reformed swapper. I got into 2 swaps and my time got away from me. No excuses, I just jumped into it before I honestly looked at my time constraints. I held up a swap and still feel terrible for it. I now do not sign up for these wonderful swaps not because I don't like the beautiful package that I receive but because I now know that I cannot keep my oath to participate.

So I am asking those that do choose to participate in these fantastic swaps, please think about it before you sign up to see if you have time to commit to it and get it done when it is due. If anyone needs assistance in resolving any issue with a swap please let me know.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  2:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Beth,

Thank you so much for posting this message! I think there are a few of us who either in the past, or are now, waiting on a package.
As a rule I don't do group swaps any longer as I have a tendency to space out and forget it altogether, which is a hassle for 'swap-moms'.
And something I just started doing with private swaps is to agree on a date for sending the package out with the partner. I haven't actually done this yet, but will be within the week. We'll see how that goes!
Again, thanks for your honesty in this matter!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  5:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I'm still waiting for a swap package. Mine went out weeks ago and I have yet to receive. Oh well, I guess I'll know better next time. All my other swaps were great though!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Beth for your post!!! I'm glad that you brought up this subject. I know that everyone has good intentions - me included -- and time does get away from us. I have been late on one swap that I did and learned my lesson. I don't participate if I can't meet the deadline!

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  7:01:14 PM  Show Profile
yes i am also guilty of not following thru, i have made sure to apologize to the gals that i havent gotten things out to. I am not going to do a swap unless i can keep to my commitment.

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  08:29:02 AM  Show Profile
I run hot and cold on this one. I've been in lots of swaps, and I've sent my things in early (in fact, I was the first one in for the fall quilt block swap - YAY!!), I've been right on time, and I've been late too! I even dropped out of two swaps when it became obvious to me that there was no way I'd get done in a reasonable amount of time.

I love receiving the swap packages even when they're late--it's always like Christmas! I "won" a seasonal decoration last year from a farmgirl and I got it about a month after the "season" was over, but I love it anyway, and even though I missed that season last year, I'll have her handmade gift to use at that season every year from now on! So, I don't get upset when a package is late. It still holds the same thoughtfulness and love that went into the items as it would if I got it early.

I also appreciate the understanding and easy going gracious ways of our swap hostesses. Sunshine in particular comes to mind - she goes above and beyond the call to be an encouragement to each and every person participating in a swap - that says a lot for the farmgirl spirit!!

The only time I have ever been disappointed is when I just flat didn't get a swap package. It was a one-on-one swap, and we communicated up front, I sent mine off, but I never got anything back. I was disappointed, but she's a regular on the list, and she's a very sweet person, so I just chalk it up to her having a busy life and forgetting about it. I just thought there were really many more important things in life than getting upset about a swap package (particularly when I think of some of the issues that our farmgirl friends here have going on in their lives!). And, I wasn't going to let that ruin my participating in other swaps.

On the other hand, I can't help but remember Sunshine's frustration (and the others in that swap) when trying to track down and get the first round of embroidered quilt squares. That seemed to go on for months and months, and I'm not sure if they ever got it resolved. So we do have to keep swaps to a reasonable timeframe for everyone or it does spoil all the fun of a swap.

I'm also glad we were able to finish up the fall quilt block swap so Clare could get her squares and try to get them put together so she can wrap up in that quilt and have a tangible hug from her farmgirl friends while she goes through chemo.

With that said, I do believe that deadlines have their place and that we should try to meet them or at least be reasonable if we're going to be late, but, I'm a CPA and have been dealing with the tax world for over 25 years, and you know what?? Tax compliance with the IRS is full of deadlines, but even they give automatic extensions!!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com

Edited by - ktknits on Oct 09 2007 10:10:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  10:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Beth,
Thanks for this post. I know, I've been waiting and waiting on a package, but feel bad about bugging and asking for the swap. I figure they get busy and whatnot. I think, in a way, it can burn "newbies" at swapping. It was a little discouraging to me when the "late or not-at-all" swappers haven't come through. It is so much fun, I hate to think that other ladies out there are afraid to swap for having felt the burn. :)
Thanks again for posting! Helps us to mind our P's and Q's. :)
HUGS
Jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!

www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  11:20:34 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to put it in my original post, but I too want to thank Beth for bringing this up. Like Jessie said, I think we all need a gentle reminder every now and then that we need to try to be mindful and considerate of others who are swapping with us. Everyone puts a lot into these swaps, and everyone deserves to be able to feel good about them. I know I appreciate the reminder--Thanks Beth!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
You welcome. A little reminder helps us all I think. I like your perspective Kathy and agree- getting a farmgirl package can make it feel like a very special day indeed.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for this post. This why I stop doing swaps here. I was always on time and early and then I had to wait for late swappers. In the swaps I hosted it was always the same people late or a no show. Some people wear being late as a patch on their sleeves as something to be proud of. This was the final straw for me. So I stopped hosting or doing swaps. Being nice as a hostess has limits when it comes to treating people other in the swap who are on time with respect.
Blessings,
Elizabeth

My blog
www.elizabethsclothesline.blogspot.com

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Edited by - candismom on Oct 10 2007 09:44:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Swapping Ettiquette Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page