La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  10:30:05 PM  Show Profile
PLease don't think I've completely lost my mind because I am rather frugal by nature and love to scavange for useful stuff.

So - I have these meat bird chicks I got from a friend. They're in the brooder right now and I was trying to decide where and how to make my growing cage because I don't want them near my layers or roos and I don't want to use anymore floor space in my little barn.

Well, I have solved my delemia. I was at Smart & Final (a warehouse store) and saw these big boxes (like a field bin) that watermelons and pumpkins had been shipped in. They are about 1/2" thick corrigated cardboard 4' x 4' and maybe 30" tall. It's an octaginal shape so the birds won't pile in the corners and crush each other. I figure with the size I can easily grow out 10-15 at a time. And when we are done, the shavings can go into the compost or the garden and the box can go in the recycling trash. Disposable chicken pen! Now I don't have to build another little barn just for them OR take space out of my existing barn.

I was so excited about all the possibilities and babbling on about maybe I'll do meat ducks next time. My sis thought I had lost my mind and "OMG how long are you going ramble on about that dame box". She just doesn't understand the significance of such a useful find.

I think it will also be a great solution for some of our city dwelling 4-H members who have always wanted to try raising meat birds. They can do it in the garage - away from the neighbors view.

Tomorrow the chicks are moving into their new home. I'll try to post pics when DD gets home. I'm not sure how to do it.

Great find!

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4202 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4202 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  04:19:34 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a good solution. You may want to provide some shade for them too, with a tarp or something over top of part of their pen. Have fun with them. Great idea.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Disposable Chicken Pen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page