Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Mary Janes- Fourth of July celebration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Mary Janes- Fourth of July celebration Next Topic  

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2004 :  06:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone, Is there anyone on the forum who is planning on attending the festivities at Mary Janes farm on the 3, 4, of July? I've been looking at the web page and it sounds like soooooooo much fun! There is a slight chance that I can be there and I was wondering if some of the rest of you might be there? or want to talk about what you will be doing on the 4th?

Farmgirl/gardener-Potter/Poet

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2004 :  07:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
Wish we could, but don't think I could talk the group into that over a quick trip to the beach (Destin, FL) for the holiday. My kids think there's nothing better than fireworks on the beach. I have to admit, it *is* pretty fun! :)

What I *don't* like is not being in my home, where I can plan the activities and the food parts of the celebration. My in-laws (at whose house we'll be) don't celebrate in the way my family always have. You would think after 22+ years I'd be used to it, but I'm not. I grew up with big, big celebrations -- lots of food, lots of laughter, lots of people. Now, having said that, I'm not really a "social butterfly" by any stretch; I'm more reserved, but I love to watch all the other people and sort of peripherally be a part.

My in-laws don't operate that way at all. My father-in-law is shy to the point of near rudeness and he just doesn't like other people. So we will likely have a quick dinner and drive over to the beach for fireworks. I wish my children could experience the Fourth the way I did growing up, but most of my family is gone now, and my parents' health isn't so great. But I treasure those memories ...

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  4:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Well, I for one would LOVE to be there, but it'd be a long trip from the Great Lakes area!
I hope everyone who attends has a great time, perhaps some other time we'll meet!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  4:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy you should come! Julie's in the kitchen right now making 600 shortcakes from scratch for Strawberry Shortcakes to sell at MarketDay! It's going to be a great time!

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  3:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Sarah... tell us how Market Day turned out, please!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2004 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh MarketDay was a huge hit! We had a total of about 1200 people there over the course of the weekend. Lots of great stuff for sale, antiques and farm collectibles and good food, and great live music. Keep an eye on our news & awards section for a follow-up article Bill London is writing. Also for MaryJane's upcoming book, we are working on a little "how-to" for folks who want to have their own MarketDay!

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Kathy A.
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Kathy
Utah
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2004 :  07:44:34 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone, I retuned a few days ago from a trip to Orgeon and north Idaho, and although it's a little late, I'll ramble on a minute about our stop at Mary Janes Farm (on Market Day) which was the high light of the trip for me. We were in Moscow early on Saturday morning and the drive out to the farm is beautiful, rolling hills with pine trees on the ridges and in the gullys. Every thing was green and golden yellow , some of the grain was begining to ripen. A right turn on to wild iris lane and it was just what I hoped, a great little farmstead. We took the self guided tour, and besides the obvious beauty all around, it had a great feel to it, pleasant and comfortable. Many people who work there stopped and said hello and we saw the hen house and the way the green house was constructed, and yes the plum pit is as interesting as the photos show it to be, I just stood there and took it all in, Maryjanes hens were so tame they walk up to you like farm cats do,(except the one in the hen house who was quite indignant about the intrusion). We enjoyed the U-pick strawberry patch and the garlic field, Where the scapes were full on. Lots of activity was going on even though it was early. We chatted for a moment with Mary Jane and discovered that we all three had spent time in Cache Valley, Utah/Idaho at about the same time period and that we had friends and interests in the same small farm communities there. The Market area had so many wonderful things, Fresh vegies of course, and Cindy lou was there with the garlic scape pesto, which is the best pesto there is, bar-none! there was wonderful antiques and farm collectibles (the farm chicks were there and very busy), there was farm style art, and hand spun, hand dyed yarn. A display of the MJ.farm products, and Folk style Music being preformed on the back of a huge flat bed truck. We sat at the picnic tables and had lunch of gyros full of falafal and Hummus and topped it of with strawberry shortcake, it was so delicious. At luch I sat next to a lady from Pullman she said to me -Our ladys club was treated to a luncheon by Maryjane, yesterday in the plum pit. and you know, everyone, who works here seems to be so happy and friendly, great people! I had to agree with her, I wish I had met you Sarah and others but I'm thinking about next year already, and I really wished I could have spend more time there but we had to get on the road again. We saw the B&B huts and the Wall tents from a short distance away, and I was so pleased to see them in detail on the website when I retuned! Mary Jane and the Farm, are an inspiration to stay on the path of Oganic-Sustainable farm/gardens. I think I'll go pull some weeds and do a rain Dance.
Cheers-Kathy

Farmgirl/gardener-Potter/Poet
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2004 :  08:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the wonderful description, Kathy! Can't wait to read the article that's going to be published about it too. It is inspiring. Welcome back from vacation too!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2004 :  12:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow - sounds like you died and went to heaven for a day, Kathy. It is great to read your account of the farm and Market Day. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Just reading about it made me feel inspired to stay on the path of growing good organic food, and living in simple ways.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2004 :  2:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I am living it through you Kathy....loved your description!! Thank you!!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Mary Janes- Fourth of July celebration Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page