faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  5:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi My grandaughter loves to ride horses and i wanted to know what breed of pony would be the best for her she is 9 years old and rides Chincoteague ponies, Thouroughbreds,and Quarter horses.
Any help input would be appreciated

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  6:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't get her a pony- but rather a full sized horse because if you got her a pony she would out grow it in a few years. I personally love all horses, but am partial to Arabs. But really it doesn't matter so much breed as the temperment and training unless you have a specific goal (like speed or endurance or such)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile
I am with Alee that you should get a full sized horse. She's already 9, so she would outgrow a pony too fast, you might as well get a calm, well-trained full sized. I have always been partial to quarter horses, but like Alee said, it depends on what she plans on doing with it.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:43:43 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'm confused...she's riding already; lesson horses?

My first horse was a pony and I was nine. Short fall to the ground (why didn't anyone bother to buy me a saddle?) and more I learned more from him than all the other horses put together. Why? Because he was one onery little codger, lol! But I was onrier...

Anyway, Chincoteagues are really small horses, not ponies in the traditional, butterball sense. If you can afford one, and it's well matched to her skill, I'd go for it.

What kind of riding is she doing? How much do you want to spend? I know someone who raises sportponies; very well bred and suited for kids (and small adults) who enjoy eventing/pony club type riding.

If she's just wanting a horse to pack her around that she can enjoy, forget looking for any particular breed and just find one that's been well cared for and that matches her skill level.

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  1:02:22 PM  Show Profile
She does do lessons at least once or twice a week. She is 4 foot 3. Her riding instructer has her on mostly thoroughbreds and chincoteage ponies right now.Thank You!!!

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  1:32:46 PM  Show Profile
hi im justice , faiths granddaughter..I have been riding since i was 5 years old.My parents do not want me to get hurt so thats why they thought that a ponie would be safer because it's smaller.I just want a Horse to have fun with and ride,but not so much shows.My riding instructer has let me hose of the horses and take them out of there paddok and stalls but not that ofen. She always lets me brush the horses and take there bridles and saddles of and on too.But otherwise thats it. I have been in a show before and i enjoyed it very much.I have been jumping and cantering too.I have fallen of of two horses i my life but i did not get hurt anyway that is my story.Thank you!!

Justice

Go to Top of Page

miraclewelsh
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Samantha
Northern Wisconsin
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  5:54:31 PM  Show Profile
I would definitely recommend that you stay with your original idea of finding a pony for your granddaughter. It is a wonderful experience for children to be able to handle, feed, groom, tack up, and ride a pony that is suitably sized for them. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a young child who is matched up with a quiet, well trained pony.

I breed registered Welsh Ponies and Cobs, so obviously they are always my first recommendation as far as choosing a pony breed-- Welsh are wonderful! :-)

Good luck in your search, I hope you find the perfect pony for your granddaughter. :-)

Miracle Welsh Ponies & Cobs
http://www.miraclewelsh.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  6:21:23 PM  Show Profile
What a great website and photos - miraclewelsh!!! Faith, I wouldn't know what to recommend - I just think that it is great that you want to support your granddaughter in this. I always wanted a horse growing up. Read all the horse stories in the local library, and when I asked my dad (and left love notes for him - begging for a horse), he would tell me to marry a cowboy! I didn't marry a cowboy, but I do have the sweetest minatures in the world! They have a bit of arab blood in them too! Good luck with your search.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  6:30:15 PM  Show Profile
When looking for a pony, be sure you're buying one that has had a fair amount of training and good ground manners. People tend to blow ponies off and let their kids do the training because of their size; certainly not to the pony's benefit!

I'd still think about a Chincoteague of you can find one. 14-15 hands, horse type body...good minds for the most part. A good welsh is nice, too.

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

AmyEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Amy
McPherson Kansas
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile
May I suggest a POA. POA's are awesome. i rode one until well I got married. I am only 5'1" and a POA worked well for me. He was an awesome pony. He could pull acart, count his age, he did trail classes, pole bending, barrel racing, we also did english eq, jumping,some dressage, and just every day riding. Oh yes and he would eat the ends of my hot dog buns from the concession stands at the shows. I did eventually get my dream horse a bay arabian mare Tjhara, which wasawesome, but Keno will always be one of my fondest memories.

Amy

http://lifenkansas.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  08:13:03 AM  Show Profile
I would say find a horse that the child and horse 'click'. This is one of those questions that unless you are dedicated to a specific breed (mine's Appaloosas), you need any horse that the child can get along with. When I bought and sold, I once sold a 2 yr old Morgan to a young girl (can't remember her age now but it seems like about 10 or so). At first I was against the sale but once I saw thme together, it was magic. She kept the Morgan till the horse died at 13 yrs old of colic. I've had 19 yr old QH's that would still buck your tushie off cuz they were hot, even tho well trained. Just a bit of excitement to start most every ride. Some bloodlines are very workmanlike and don't go for hugging and kissing is my point. Others are just love-bugs.

But you have to find someone you can trust on selling a horse, not just 'a horse trader'. Generally nowadays, if you want 'child-safe', it's going to cost you. But better to pay lots more and avoid an emergency room bill or a pine coat for eternity. Remember tho that a horse is an accident waiting to happen and no horse is totally safe.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic ponies for kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page