Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Auction Fever strikes again! Bought a doll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Auction Fever strikes again! Bought a doll Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  12:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
;
I really had no intention of buying her. Really.There were other things I had my eye on. Then the bidding started so low. She was laying in a box, all apart, and the auctioneer just called her 'box of doll parts'. And my internal censor quit on me. Again. And I heard my voice speaking through my mouth. My dh had wandered off. He's my out loud, physical censor. So she's mine now. Eventually, after she's cleaned up and restrung and her eyes are re-glued, I guess I'll have to take her to my booth. There really is a beautiful, quality German bisque head doll under there. I couldn't see her markings until I pried her wig off when I got her home. Okay, so I'm really, really hooked on auctions now. Somebody needs to shoot me. I fear that's the only way to stop me now.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  12:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
As you can guess I would be of no help at all in the shooting process, I would be right there with you saying, go ahead bid on it , buy it. Can't wait to see how she comes out after her clean up. Lets see another picture when she is ready for her close up. What are you going to name her? Jack likes the name Laura, he wanted to name Dave that when we got him but I told him that was out of the question.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  12:53:34 PM  Show Profile
janice .. she is absolutely GORGEOUS! i think you have a real treasure there! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  1:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Nancy Jo. Most likely, going to an auction with you would be like going with my bff, Susan. We have certain rules for shopping that are hard and fast: NEVER ask: Do you have room for it. Do you need it. Can you afford it.
And I really like the name Laura. Just not for Dave! Poor Dave! You know, I really shouldn't give her a name. I sort of led my dh to believe that I'm going to sell her eventually. I used to collect dolls, but at a certain point, I had to give that up. You know, the point where I had a child, a mortgage, and a car payment! ;)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  1:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I think she looks like a Fannie, but only because that was my Great Aunt's name and they have the same haircut.

She's lovely, though, isn't she?

I wouldn't be much help to you at an auction--I can talk you into buying the Brooklyn Bridge

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  1:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Actually, Jonni, someone gave the doll a haircut somewhere along the line. That is her original human hair wig, but it's been cut into a bob. :( I hope nobody forced your Aunt Fannie to get her beautiful long hair cut off! LOL

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile
I think she looks like Nancy Jo....call her Nancy Jo. That is after she is clean and pretty and dressed, and has her hair done, and then.....then she will look like Nancy Jo!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  2:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie - I'm afraid that if I name her Nancy Jo, she'll take my car keys, drive to thrift stores in search of clothes, and I'll never see her again! ROFLOL!

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  3:30:12 PM  Show Profile
That is probably pretty close to what would happen, not to mention all the things she would be buying for her doll house. I think it would be a wise financial move on your part to sell her at your shop as soon as possible if you name her after me.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  3:32:37 PM  Show Profile
She looks like a Joyce.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  3:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking she looks like a Katherine. :) Whatever name she receives, she is a very pretty doll.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  4:51:15 PM  Show Profile
very nice.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  8:11:49 PM  Show Profile

Ahhhh, l would have had to rescue her myself. Her face/head seem to be in good shape, that's a big plus. Please let us see her when she's been all cleaned up too.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  10:16:26 PM  Show Profile
She is a very nice doll. You were lucky all her parts were there. Are you going to make vintage clothes for her? She looks like an Eva Marie. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  05:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm going to check my stash of old doll clothes, Marybeth. And keep my fingers crossed that I can find things to fit her. And I have to admit that I eyeballed her pretty closely before the auction started. I WAS looking at her. Just when my dh wasn't looking at ME! LOL I knew she was all there and that her eyes were still in her head and not broken. The elderly lady whose estate this was had even, in true old lady fashion, carefully put the wires that hold the elastic in a plastic bag and placed that in the box, too. That sweet old lady had put a tiny little note in all the china cups and saucers and everything detailing its history. It made me sort of sad that nobody in her family(some of them were there) wanted it all. I wish she had put a note in with the doll.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  06:13:40 AM  Show Profile
People are silly, aren't they? I actually have a box full of slave photos and letters and documentation of a sharecropping family from an estate that noone in the family wanted...Oh well, Ms. Laura Fannie Nancy-Jo Katherine Bee Haven ended up in the right place, with someone who adores her, and I wager, will probably end up keeping her

Does she have any markings at the base of her neck (I'm taking my cue from the weird doll guy on the Antique Road Show)? I sometimes notice that they even simply have a country of origin, and then you can at least date that.

Janice, what is the bluish-gray marking all over her body, and is the body plastic, or what?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  06:34:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Most of the bluish gray stuff is dirt, Jonni. It will nearly all come off with cleaning. There will be some scuff places, but not anything bad. She was made by the German firm of Simon and Halbig. Her mold number is 1079 and the value in the latest blue book(I haven't bought one since 2001) for her size(24" tall) is between 800 and 900 dollars! Of course, we don't pay or ask those kind of prices here in Kentucky! We pretty much are in a buyers market here. Which is the good news and the bad news, all at once! LOL!

Her body is made of what is called 'composition'. It's made of wood pulp. There were differences in the thickness of bodies and hers is very sturdy. The round ball joints are actually wood.

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Oct 02 2007 08:43:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  09:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Janice,
I see on another post that you got a lot of other good stuff that same day. No pictures? And is it true you are going to go see Frannie and Mary Jane? I didn't know that. I sure hope you will post pictures of that little trip. Are you staying over, how far is that for you?
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'll try to take more pics of the other stuff tonight. Yes, my buddy Susan, who teaches here, and I are leaving after her late class on Wednesday, the 10th. We won't get there until time to check in to a motel and go to sleep. But on Thursday, the 11th., we'll be visiting with Mary Jane, Frannie, and lots of other farm girls. I'm not sure quite how far, but I don't think the drive is longer than an hour, maybe an hour and a half. And I wasn't even thinking of taking my camera. I'm glad you reminded me! I did have priorities, though. I was just sitting at my desk making a list of treats to order to take along....giant cookies and biscotti made by one of my favorite city girls, Elizabeth Kizito. She came here from Africa at the age of 17 and has been in business for at least the 20 years I've known her(and been eating her cookies! :D )

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:37:37 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - keep those letters and slave photos! Unless you want to give them to me! :) Those are very valuable.

Glad the bluish gray came off- I have a doll that those spots are permanent. Thought it was because it had been in an attic too long!

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 02 2007 10:40:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2007 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Well Janice, I agree you did pick some very important things to take with you, BUT DON'T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!! I have yet to see any pictures that were taken at these Frannie get togethers, I'm beginning to think its some kind of secret cult or somthing. You are close, an hour or so is not bad at all. Any longer then that and I get car sick. Good thing the thrift store is close.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Auction Fever strikes again! Bought a doll Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page