Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Any mommy's of little ones?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Any mommy's of little ones? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile
i used hylands for my daughter (and my husband's toothache) they do work great!!I havent tried them on my son yet as he does drool im afraid it will just effervess..(sp?) right out of his mouth.
My ds is obsessed with the potty chair and my dd only wants to use the big people's potty. ---go figure!!
this is our first weekend of die hard potty training. I am praying my DH survives...lol
hugs everyone!
jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!

www.MayhemMommyMemoirs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jessie-

Nora drools too- so I just pop them into her mouth as she starts nursing. That way she swallows the medicine.

Hugs!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  6:05:35 PM  Show Profile
great to hear that things are going better and hurray for potty training. OH i just remembered if she makes it in the potty do a happy dance with her to celebrate and then she will want to do it again and eventually you can weene out the potty dance

lavendar girl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is it going, Jessie?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  12:38:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm coming in a little late, but I second the suggestion to get your daugher off the bottle. With all that liquid going in, it will be almost impossible to potty train. Also, all that juice in her bottle, especially lying down, will do a bad number on her teeth. Have you ever seen bottle rot teeth? Not pretty, and very painful for children. Mine were about 2 1/2 when they potty trained and it does take consistency. My daugher took a little longer than her brothers, but she day and nite trained at the same time, so it was worth it. I just used those thick training pants (do they make those anymore?) and took them every hour until they got the hang of it. I even took them in the middle of the nite. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,
Having a better time of it. The baby is up a lot at night, but so much more manageable during the day. I have taken to trying to keep dd on a better schedule and she's seeming to like the routine.
Jill,
how in the world do you go about getting her off the bottle at night?she wakes up yelling (literally) for MORE!! I have the thick training pants..mom found them at Walmart of all places. She is being a little...well..really lazy so it is a battle of wills right now. I just have to keep telling myself. I am the adult. I am bigger and I am potty trained so I CAN do this!! lol
Hugs
Jessie

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  12:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad things are starting to go a bit easier for you. *hugs* I hope they keep getting better and better! *hugs*

Alee
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  12:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Jessie ~ try watering down her juice (or milk), a little more each nite until it is all water. She will either give it up or just drink the water, which won't hurt her. During the day, don't give her anything but cups. She will drink eventually. I don't know any children that refused to ever drink again when the bottle was taken away! I think it will be easier for both of you when her liquid intake isn't so high. They usually eat better too, which is a plus at that age. Is she around other children who are potty trained? Sometimes it helps if they pick up mimicking other children.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jill,
right now, dd isn't around too many kids her own age. Every once in a while she plays with a little girl two months older, but that is on rare occassions.:( We are kinda out in the country so there isn't many interaction opportunities other than church and parties...etc.
hugs jessie

http://HandmadeHeartStrings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MarinesWife
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Melissa
Fredericksburg VA
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  1:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Cold turkey on the bottle. She doesn't need it. Just say...we're sending it off with the garbage man..bye-bye! It is really hard at first but she'll get over it quickly.

The book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Children really changed our lives when it came to #4. The 3 before were great sleepers and we had no issues there. He threw us for a loop! The suggestions in the book were life-savers in the sleep department and I always recommend this book now. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0449004023

Melissa

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  1:42:03 PM  Show Profile
All kids are so different from one another, but I can give you a tip that has proven to work for me more often than not.

My girls are 13 months apart, nearly three and just turned 4 yesterday. I have been through the same as you and I can say that it really does get better. The more you inlist the bigger one as your big special helper the better. It causes her to stop competing with the baby to have the bottle or potty in her pants. I started explaining all the benefits to her.. it almost felt like putting the baby down, but it really helped boost the bigger ones self image as a big kid.

I said things like "see your little sister has to sleep now because she's just a little baby, but YOU!! You are so big! If you can help me by being very quiet while I put this little baby to sleep, we can snuggle together in mommy's big bed and look at this book" Or "Oh ick! The baby pooped in her diaper! But you're a big kid, do you want to try pooping on the potty for me so you don't have to sit in your icky poop like a baby?"

For us, making a baby seem like the undesirable option really jump started her in wanting to be self sufficiant. It has also in turn gotten Halsey into the idea of being big. She is as I said nearly 3 and as she has grown we have changed what we are saying to include them both..things like, "watch how your big sister pulls the zipper up to her chin on her coat. now you try that so you can be big just like her".

Pretty soon, as close in age as they are Halsey will have reached the point where she can do almost anything Kaylee can do and then we plan to start emphasizing teamwork a little more so that we don't end up with a seriously competitive environment, but so far what we have done has worked fairly well in getting them both potty trained and weaned and sometimes when the stars are aligned they even have table manners in public!!

It really does get easier, I promise!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  10:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Well...you seem to have gotten a lot of good advice. I think it really depends on what you feel. I understand your struggles, but don't let it take over your life. Kids potty train when they are ready. My oldest was potty trained before she turned 2, then we had a baby when she was 23 months...she was not potty trained again until 3 1/2 when she simply took off the diaper and never had an accident again. My youngest is now 18 months, and she is using the potty at home all the time, except at night. She uses the potty at my sisters houses, but no where else. Try not using anything, no diaper, not panties, no pants. They don't like pee running down their legs, trust me. A little naked never hurt anyone. My kids have never been ones to take naps, so I dont have that schedule thing...never have. And to keep baby safe while you work, slings and backpacks are wonderful! I use one or both most of the time. My kids are all pretty close together, so there is always someone into something....I have a 9, newly 8, 6 1/2, newly 5, 3 yr old twin, and my 18 month old. This really is a wonderful time, dont stess, just roll with it, this too shall pass...life is very short and time moves quickly...don't sweat the small stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  5:42:57 PM  Show Profile
I second the "let them go naked" advice.

I have a daycare and nekkid works every time.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Any mommy's of little ones? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page